Keeping bird dogs inside?

TheLukai1100

Keeping bird dogs inside?

Post by TheLukai1100 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:44 pm

I heard a rumor today and i was wondering if this is true.
that if you HAVE to keep a bird dog outside, or they wont hunt or wont hunt as good or something along those lines.

is this true?
how many people keep their bird dogs inside?

I'm just a little worried because i put a deposit down on a GSP, and i planned on keeping it inside.

DogNewbie

Re: Keeping bird dogs inside?

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:48 pm

You pup will hunt just fine. I think people that say things like that are usually talking about outdoor dogs being better acclimated to extreme heat/cold than indoor dogs that live at 69degrees year round.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Doesn't really matter either way. Like the post above says, I think a few people feel like the dog will be better off if they can "tough it in the middle of winter and the heat of summer." It needs to be socialized and around you often at an early age, make it your best friend. I keep my lab outside while I am gone and while I make supper and stuff and inside the rest of the time, he sleeps in a crate inside.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 pm

I have always believed you have a stronger bond with an inside dog. Our EP's, GSP, & Vizsla live inside. The chessies and beagles live outside - but can come inside often. That said, every pup is raised in the house for the first 5-6 months before they live in the kennel (if that's where the end up).

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:13 pm

That's just a myth. Inside kept or not he will hunt the same.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Yep, coat may be a little thinner, but in general, inside dogs get more time with you so could be a little further along on OB...

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Mine spend most of their time in the house and hunt just fine. Remember though they need to mind if they are inside or out. I do quite a bit of incidental training each evening just because they are there.

Craig O.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Ha ha new GSP puppy inside. Have fun! I think my pup lasted two days hanging out and getting used to me. He now lives in the kennel and gets to come out to train and inside in an open air kennel for about an hour.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:57 pm

ultracarry wrote:Ha ha new GSP puppy inside. Have fun! I think my pup lasted two days hanging out and getting used to me. He now lives in the kennel and gets to come out to train and inside in an open air kennel for about an hour.
In my house they have to earn the right come inside. When they are good dogs outside they get to come inside.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

I tried that. He isn't good long enough. I like my female. She does nothing wrong but steal food of the counter....

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 pm

That's a load of bunk. My best bird dog sleeps right next to my bed.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 pm

ultracarry wrote:I tried that. He isn't good long enough. I like my female. She does nothing wrong but steal food of the counter....
Lucy didn't get sleep in my bed until she was 1.5 years old. I got her at 5 months. You haven't had him long enough. :D

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Every new pup I get grows up in the house with the family. All mine have hunted just fine.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 am

Another myth, the top AA dogs have always been "truck" dogs, riding and staying with their handlers. The more they are around, the more they learn.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 am

RoostersMom wrote:I have always believed you have a stronger bond with an inside dog.
Totally agree. A dog you live with and know more intimately is more inclined to be obedient and easier to keep trained in my opinion. Plenty of winning dogs live inside. I can't remember which one, but I'd heard one of the winners at Ames in the past ten years was a big ol' lap dog.

Moxy's done okay with the little trialing she's done and she's been nothing but a lap dog since the day she got home. Was at a trial last year and a Vizsla whomped all the white dogs to take first in the derby and her two "brothers" (they all have the same last name ;) ) placed second and third in the gun dog. This was all against da white dogs. All three, to the best of my knowledge, are the epitome of a house dog.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 am

Five dogs in the house except when no one is home. Then only in cold weather the Old girl is inside when we are not home.
They all hunt great and you learn their body lanquage better.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:44 am

We kind of have a rule of thumb....too hot for us outside its too hot for the dogs, too cold for us outside its too cold for the dogs. We have a nice outside kennel so when its nice the dogs spend time outside but always make their way into the house each day at some point. I enjoy having dogs in the house. Nothing better than a long day of hunting followed up with a nap on the couch with the mutt. :D

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Kimber lives in the house 24/7 just wouldn't do it with the puppy. Kimber sleeps on the couch all day, follows me around when I'm home, sleeps in bed at night. If company comes over they are told where kimbers spot is on the couch. I think they have to earn that though. Once he is fully trained, competes, and if successful Ace will be allowed inside. Until then he is a kennel dog.

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:22 pm

He has to win to be allowed inside? Maybe you need to relax a little bit about winning.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Stoneface wrote:Was at a trial last year and a Vizsla whomped all the white dogs to take first in the derby and her two "brothers" (they all have the same last name ;) ) placed second and third in the gun dog. This was all against da white dogs. All three, to the best of my knowledge, are the epitome of a house dog.
Are those the ones with the ridiculous n00b handler? :)
All ours are house dogs and I'm strict on everyone having manners. It neat to see the fosters come in from their former kennel homes and progress to be respectful house dogs. Not an single one has "failed".
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 pm

My dogs circulate thru the house but they take turns wife pipes up if I bring 5 in at once, no where to sit but I too think there are are lessons learned and bonding in the house that only helps in the field
Fester :wink:

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:47 pm

[quote="gozz21"]He has to win to be allowed inside? Maybe you need to relax a little bit about winning.[/quote]
+1 that's what I was thinking

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:34 am

ibbowhunting wrote:
gozz21 wrote:He has to win to be allowed inside? Maybe you need to relax a little bit about winning.
If he isn't good enough to make it exciting to watch him in the field, or even win a stake or two.... why would I want to keep him for over a year or year and a half? Rather find him a good hunting home while he is still young. Sorry, but life is too short to settle.

Don't think I have too much to worry about with him holding point, me flushing in front, and him standing through the flush at 5 months old though.......

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:13 am

When I buy a dog it's for the dog's life... I guess that's just how I do things.
Thus, it's really important to pick out the best possible lines and litters. But all of the dogs are in the house, like Kelli said. It kills me when people say their dogs are too energetic for the house. I just make sure they have enough exercise and everyone is pretty calm. Just have to be fair to them I suppose. We have eight in the house right now so...

Thanks for the kind words Rowdy. The oldest and the little girl like to sleep under the covers...

I was at a meeting yesterday. I overheard someone talking to another person about how they got rid of a dog because it was jumping on them. And it wasn't like the guy was elderly, or even older.
Just simply got rid of it because it jumped.
Some people shouldn't own dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49 am

ultracarry wrote:
ibbowhunting wrote:
gozz21 wrote:He has to win to be allowed inside? Maybe you need to relax a little bit about winning.
If he isn't good enough to make it exciting to watch him in the field, or even win a stake or two.... why would I want to keep him for over a year or year and a half? Rather find him a good hunting home while he is still young. Sorry, but life is too short to settle.
I agree with ya. If my car, truck, or tractor doesn't perform to my level they are gone, but my dogs have a lot more to give than winning and you have to feel sorry for anyone that has no more feeling for their dog than a peice of machinery. You are missing so much. Dogs and wives are more than just property.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:56 am

I have pets that hunt. That's my rule. I don't want to own a piece of hunting property that I only use 10 - 20 times per year. Not fair to the animal and not fair to me or the family.

All of my bird dogs have been inside pets. That can be challenging due to the energy level of these breeds but my dogs are a part of my family.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:02 pm

I have a dog that is my buddy and sleeps on the couch and bed, and follows me around everywhere. They have to earn the right to be inside. I bond with him every day and train him every day. Didn't say I treat him horrible and actually treat him like a member of the family to a certain extent without full privileges. Right now I can only have two dogs and want to trial BOTH. If he competes and does well then he is golden, there will always be a better dog so winning wasn't the best choice of words..... Yes I train year round, they go run almost every day with me for over an hour.. probably spend more productive time with me than 90% of owners. But I'm sorry if they aren't great for me someone would love a fully trained dog to master hunter standards for the price of a well bred puppy.

Wives on the other hand are always expendable when they flip a switch one day and your miserable. Just like a car there are always newer and funner models to test drive :)
Last edited by ultracarry on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobspheasant

Post by bobspheasant » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 pm

The hunters who care about their dogs keep them inside. Some old school guys who view their dog as only a tool for hunting leave their dogs outside believing the only time to give the dogs attention is when they are hunting. They figure this will raise the drive of the dogs. What a load of BS. I agree with others here. You strengthen the bond with the dog when they are inside. If you can't hunt with your canine buddy, why bother.

Scott
Scott

Hunting is all about the dog. When we get some birds to bring home it's just icing on the cake.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 pm

To the original poster: I think over time it has been proven that given the right amount of consistent discipline there is no adverse effect to having a hunting dog in the house. The problem is that depending upon your purpose, and the level of understanding about dog behavior in the humans in the house, you run the risk of anthropomorphizing dogs into poor behaviors and even forms of canine neurosis. I have 4 dogs all of which are house broken and spend time in the house, two sleep in there on dog beds in my room. The others are kenneled at night outside. All 4 are hard core wild bird dogs and 3 are fairly competitive competition dogs.

It doesn't always occur but things like a dog sleeping on the bed or moving humans on a couch or chair can manifest themselves into dominance behaviors, seperation anxiety can and does occur, and too much dependence on people are all risks when dwelling directly with humans. If you watch enough dogs you will see these issues, most of them the humans involved chalk up to the dog's personality when in fact the issues are man made. You will get tons of advice from people who will own half a dozen dogs in a lifetime supported with their examples that it never happened to them; I have a fairly sizable list of things that never happened to me in spite of some poor choices.

If you can relax and treat your dog like the species he is and not attempt to turn it into a human close consistent interaction can be a benefit; if not like many things with the best of intentions it can go awry. On a side note, I believe that too many people form opinions and judgements about the way others do things. Some of the most balanced pointing dogs on the planet are AA dogs on a pros string, when you watch them on the line they are happy, quiet and content. When you take them hunting they kennel and travel easily, and they still like an ear scratch the same as somebody's yapping spoiled baby.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Chukar12, that's a very thoughtful and accurate response. Keeping bird dogs in the house does presume appropriate pack leadership. In fact, it may be accurate to say that a dog that is overly indulged/spoiled in the house may actually be worse off than one put on ignore in an outdoor kennel.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 pm

have a 2 yr old vizsla house dog and a 3mo old gsp - the gsp is getting an outside kennel soon.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Chukar12 wrote: It doesn't always occur but things like a dog sleeping on the bed or moving humans on a couch or chair can manifest themselves into dominance behaviors, seperation anxiety can and does occur, and too much dependence on people are all risks when dwelling directly with humans.
Valid and important point. The minute this is spotted, you must readjust what you "allow" that animal to do. A dog should never feel though they have a place where they have priority to sit/lay there over its master.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 pm

bobspheasant wrote:The hunters who care about their dogs keep them inside.
Scott
Don't agree with this one bit. Many times those "kennel dogs" get more attention and more work than those dogs that are stuck inside and in crate all day with just evening time attention or when it is convenient. Are there some that just throw the dog in the kennels and forget about them yeah just as there are those that keep the dogs stuck in the crate all day while at work.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:
bobspheasant wrote:The hunters who care about their dogs keep them inside.
Scott
Don't agree with this one bit. Many times those "kennel dogs" get more attention and more work than those dogs that are stuck inside and in crate all day with just evening time attention or when it is convenient. Are there some that just throw the dog in the kennels and forget about them yeah just as there are those that keep the dogs stuck in the crate all day while at work.
I'm also guessing, hunters who care about their dogs make them wear a vest while hunting???

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Lots of people keep hunting dogs outside. They don't have to be inside to be cared for. Just not sure if "winning" should be the measuring factor, but I guess it would be a reward for them for doing great at the trial. You going to do Hunt Tests with the new pup UltraCarry? Are you still breeding Kimber?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:05 pm

The OP's question was if keeping a gun dog indoors would "hurt" it's hunting abilities not whether it's best for each individuals situation. The answer to the OP's question is simply, no it won't hurt a dogs ability to hunt if you raise it correctly. There are just as many pit falls to raising a dog outdoors as their is to raising it indoors. It comes down to the owner more than it does the dog. Some owners simply don't know how to raise a dog or their circumstances make it easier if they kennel them. There are an infinite different circumstances that come into play when deciding how to raise a dog but there are 2 that cannot be argued.
1. Raising a dog indoors does not affect it's ability to hunt.
And
2.Reguardless of the situation first time gun dog owners who have never actually raised a dog should not be giving advise on how to do so.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:35 pm

OUT... out... outside?!. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Jakezilla

Post by Jakezilla » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:40 am

There is nothing wrong with keeping a hunting dog inside it won't hurt or hinder their abilities. The thing you need to be careful of in having them inside is being consistent. The rules apply everywhere and at all times. Sometimes when we have dogs inside we are worn out after a day at work and we start to let things slide. If we are not consistent with our dogs it will show up in the field.