Sharpshooters kennel WI

Croix

Sharpshooters kennel WI

Post by Croix » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:20 pm

A buddy of mine is planning on buying a GSP pup from sharpshooters kennel. Out of new Richmond WI. Any experiences or thoughts on the kennel??

Thanks in advance.

Ms. Cage

Re: Sharpshooters kennel WI

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Dogs make great hunting dogs. Very knowledgeable folks. Their test record in NAVDHA is outstanding..

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:31 am

Ms. Cage wrote:Dogs make great hunting dogs. Very knowledgeable folks. Their test record in NAVDHA is outstanding..

+1

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:03 am

Big time NAVHDA breeder.A lot of prey drive. Tough dogs CJ

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Awesome dogs!

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:05 pm

cjhills wrote:Big time NAVHDA breeder.A lot of prey drive. Tough dogs CJ
In what repect do you find Sharp Shooter dogs tough?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44 pm

If you know cash you shouldn't have to ask. It's not a bad thing if you like tough dogs. Pretty much in every respect as far as training and prey drive goes Cj

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:15 pm

cjhills wrote:If you know cash you shouldn't have to ask. It's not a bad thing if you like tough dogs. Pretty much in every respect as far as training and prey drive goes Cj
We don't make assessments on a breeding program based on one individual. Our experiance is , and we see alot of dogs ( own and train with ) that carry lots of S.S. blood. Superior prey drive and a ton of natural ability. Dogs that are at home in the field as well in the marsh. We find most have alot of cooperation and fairly easy to work with. Every dog has its strength and weakness. Yes we know Cash !!! Do you, are you going by hear say?

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

They breed high quality stock.

http://sharpshooterskennel.com/
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:
cjhills wrote:If you know cash you shouldn't have to ask. It's not a bad thing if you like tough dogs. Pretty much in every respect as far as training and prey drive goes Cj
We don't make assessments on a breeding program based on one individual. Our experiance is , and we see alot of dogs ( own and train with ) that carry lots of S.S. blood. Superior prey drive and a ton of natural ability. Dogs that are at home in the field as well in the marsh. We find most have alot of cooperation and fairly easy to work with. Every dog has its strength and weakness. Yes we know Cash !!! Do you, are you going by hear say?
Sorry. Most of what I know about Cash and some other of Clyde's dogs came from running my dogs with his in hunt tests, in the days when he was running most of the test dogs himself and in conversations with him when I was considering breeding with Cash. I guess if that's hearsay that's what I'm going by. He said Cash was the toughest dog he had ever seen. He didn't think that was a bad thing nor did I. But, What do we know. I realize you need the last word so go for it. Cj

RJ in OK

Post by RJ in OK » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 pm

I have a male out of Cash and Kate....without a doubt, he is the most natural, intelligent, tough, versatile dog that I have ever owned. He will be six in a couple weeks and has proven himself on bobwhites, scalies, mountain quail, valley quail,sharptails, huns, pheasants, prairie chickens, and even a few ducks. I don't do any testing, but they obviously do well in that venue too. For a real deal bird dog, you can't go wrong. They are nice to look at too.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:09 pm

I would think the word tough means the abilitly of taking the preasure of testing in the NAHVDA systems without loosing the drive in the dog. The tests are alot harder on dogs with the many dfferent tasks asked from them to prz 1 than just FT or MH test. They need a ton of indenpence, drive, desire yet controlled at all times. For example the duck search is set up to test the will of the dog, it gives them every reason to quit the task. For the most part he breeds big motor dogs that can handle any venue of testing exspecialy NAHVDA an has the records to prove it. Its other kennels that produce dogs with that kinda toughness as well. The ones i no of are Friedelsheims, Stillwater and Sundance to name a few but Sharpshooters is the most popular name out there . Im sure there other good breeding programs / kennels out there other than just what ive mentioned. Its just the ones that ive been around the most in training and handling myself. When ur buying from these guys and Sharpshooters its proven top shelf stuff. good luck with new dog!

larue

Post by larue » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:43 pm

where in a navhda test does a dog need independence? even in the duck search,it can be done without any independence
The shackled duck used to be a good test,I guess that is why they went to a double marked.
I love the comment,just a fc or mh!.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:09 pm

cjhills wrote:Sorry. Most of what I know about Cash and some other of Clyde's dogs came from running my dogs with his in hunt tests, in the days when he was running most of the test dogs himself and in conversations with him when I was considering breeding with Cash. I guess if that's hearsay that's what I'm going by. He said Cash was the toughest dog he had ever seen. He didn't think that was a bad thing nor did I. But, What do we know. I realize you need the last word so go for it. Cj
Jerry, I apologize to you!!! We have heard so much bashing of Sharpshooters that both my husband and I get very defensive of their kennel. IMO the Vetters have done so much to better NAVHDA and the breed. Clyde and Marilyn should be applauded !!!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:32 pm

larue its not bashing other venues its a fact that FT -MH Test you only need to train for feild work. That is the easiest part of any training is field work. i'm speeking from exsperence i do both. Indepenece is all duck search maybe just maybe you can get away with testing on home grounds an get a 4 duck search with a below averge dog but you better cross ur fingers an say a prayer. Then try putting ur dog in new waters and resend him or her 3 -4 times in 10 minutes with out a shot an the dog exspands his searchs the hole place. Another piece of indepence is very bird shot has to be retrieved to hand no matter how tuff of a retrieve it is without a resend. . Sharpershooter has that reputation. I do wish they still had the shackled duck. If you seen the double mark this year at invatational you would not of thought it was easy. Again its not bashing other tests i do all of them. Its alot of preasure put on a dog to perform in the water as well as field all in one day.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:43 pm

As previously stated, the Vetters have an outstanding reputation, especially in NAVHDA. A buddy of mine has a pup out of them and I have a dog with some SS blood in it. All are good dogs. I would say your friend is in good shape.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Hattrick wrote:larue its not bashing other venues its a fact that FT -MH Test you only need to train for feild work. That is the easiest part of any training is field work. i'm speeking from exsperence i do both. Indepenece is all duck search maybe just maybe you can get away with testing on home grounds an get a 4 duck search with a below averge dog but you better cross ur fingers an say a prayer. Then try putting ur dog in new waters and resend him or her 3 -4 times in 10 minutes with out a shot an the dog exspands his searchs the hole place. Another piece of indepence is very bird shot has to be retrieved to hand no matter how tuff of a retrieve it is without a resend. . Sharpershooter has that reputation. I do wish they still had the shackled duck. If you seen the double mark this year at invatational you would not of thought it was easy. Again its not bashing other tests i do all of them. Its alot of preasure put on a dog to perform in the water as well as field all in one day.
Every dog that meets the standard that day gets a pass right? Too bad that isn't true for FT..........

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Hattrick wrote: If you seen the double mark this year at invatational you would not of thought it was easy.
The wind conditions on several day made it pure heck for some dogs....

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:39 pm

If you grab enough points over ten years you still get a FT title right or run MH 30 times to get 6 passes you still get a title? Why does it always become a argumenet. I didnt say FT or MH was easy or NAHVDA was better. I said you only have to train for field work in FT - MH. Lets get back to the thread with the meaning of tough dogs not whos game is better. Hope to see you guys in the near future maybe we can be bracemates so we can get along.

Ms.cage yes it did that were indendence and desire took over.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Hattrick wrote:Ms.cage yes it did that were indendence and desire took over.
Agreed.

larue

Post by larue » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:17 am

hattrick,i dont want to blow your bubble but i have been there done that,and the water work was always there strengths.Ran at least a dozen ut's and 2 invites.Max would do 200 yard blinds all day long,and make the water froth with his drive.
The ugly fact is you can make the bank hot,and get a duck search that appears to be a duck search,without any drive but a fear of going back to the bank,and if you dont catch a duck,there is no resend.
There is no way to create independence in a trial,it is what it is.
navhda is a good program,and there are many nice dogs in it,but it is not harder than master work,or field trials just different.
I would ask you to come and run in our badger 1000 this spring,you get a chance to win 1000 bucks,but to win it you have to beat 50 of the midwests best dogs,and that is the difference in trials,you can do a great job and not even get looked at.

I

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:43 am

Making the bank hot will not get you a 4 duck search an if it would you dont have much of a dog if have to force him. The same as getting a FT title with a dog without big wheels. Its kinda hard to train for a mid west test on east coast grounds even if you have enough dog its different games different grounds. I do run alot of MH tests an if ur dog is broke it is easy. They dont even need a quality retreive or a quality back or point. They can stand there look ugle as heck you can talk to them softly if you have too. I passed my girl in 9, the 3 DQs were handler error, I didn't say a word to her . I think my averge score was 9 -9.5 You can a get MH title with a hole lot less training an preasure put on a dog than getting a UT dog. I see the same with walking FT around here. Its a fun test, but MH dogs are all not equal by far same with VCs or FT dogs. I'm done with this, its way off topic now. Good luck what ever game you play.