Pointing styled breed question.

Ghosted3

Pointing styled breed question.

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 am

I have been watching more and more videos lately of all breeds, because honestly I love to watch these guys / gals work, its like art in motion. Anyhoo back to the question at hand. What percentage would you say that someone that someone has to kick up the bird instead of the dog? I have seen a couple of vids where the gunman or person signaling had a signal when the people got in place for the dog to slowly move in and flush the bird but that has been in maybe 2% of the videos. So for the pointer users (pointers, gsps, setters, ect ect.) how many of you have your dog kick up the bird or do you / friend kick it up? Sorry, the vids got me wondering so I thought I would bring it to the place for the best results.

Corry

campgsp

Re: Pointing styled breed question.

Post by campgsp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:46 am

I only have my shorthairs flush a bird if there is no possible way of me getting to them. That's very seldomm as ill leave my gun to work my way in if I can. I care more for watching a dog work and hold a solid point then bagging a bird.
A pointer should point and retrieve in my book and flush only on occasion.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:33 am

I always tell the dog to flush.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:04 am

2% seems about right, 0% if they trial.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:30 am

I train all my dogs to be staedy through WSF and I hunt them that way for the first 2-3 seasons. After that I train the dog to flush on command when needed...and that is rare...more often than not in the thick grouse tangles or in some impenetrable shelter belt. When I see cover that I can't get through, I'll often whistle the dog off in another direction. There is always more game and keeping the behaviors I want is more important.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 am

I never intentionally let the dogs flush the birds - if the birds are somewhere I can't flush 'em, they win :lol: ...that said, here is a little episode/stunt I posted on another forum that I "expertly" pulled off couple days ago. There's the ideal...then there's me. :lol: :lol: :
Man, I suck. Watched Bugs hammer into a point today, got me all pumped up to go throw some lead. Had Sweet Jane, the flointer (maybe she's a plusher? Definitely not a pointer! :lol: :lol: ) down also and she came in, ran some victory laps around Bugs while he stood there - nothin' flushed. Doubting there were birds after all that I snapped a pic - you can see Jane comin' in to make sure nothin' productive happens :lol: ...:

...then gave Bugs the "alright" and he moved up about 20yds and snapped into another point...Jane came in again for a fly-by and nothing flushed so I moved in front of him and snapped a pic...:

He looked pretty "bleep" serious still and with the wind puffin' pretty good figured the birds must still be deeper to the front. Thought I'd video a snappy relocation, you know, in case I ever decide to produce a video on "How to Do It!". Switched to video and gave him the "allright":
http://www.vimeo.com/53380827

Somehow managed to snap off a shot before the camera hit the ground but, yup, you guessed it..whiffed. :oops:
Freakin' hungarian with nerves of steel! :lol:

Here's another recent vid while yer there if yer bored: http://vimeo.com/52982406

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:47 pm

I don't let my setter flush. I like to do that myself, but I for some reason I can't I'll send in my lab.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks for the feedback!

Corry

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:12 pm

DGFavor wrote:Here's another recent vid while yer there if yer bored:
Holy crap, Doug, you post the most amazing photography. Guessing that is He!!'s Canyon in that video? Not a lot of fat guys on that walk. Amazing, amazing country.

The water shots remind me of the Colorado river - we fish above Lee's Ferry (below Lake Powell) every year. It's just unbelievable - but it's all cast, no blast up there. Would be amazing to combine the two.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Guessing that is He!!'s Canyon in that video? Not a lot of fat guys on that walk.
That's cuz I wasn't in any of the pics!! :lol: :lol: Cool trip, highly recommended!!

Always wanted to fish the Lee's Ferry section! It's on the list of places to go!

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:32 am

"Plusher"!.. LOL!!! My EP clown just got a new nickname! Ha! :lol: :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:41 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:"Plusher"!.. LOL!!! My EP clown just got a new nickname! Ha! :lol: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: Janey must have heard I dissed her on the WWW cuz yesterday she snapped a nice point on a covey of huns and stood 'em good for me to go touch off the shotgun over her head for the first time! Birds snookered me diving over a rimrock so I didn't get a good crack at closing the deal for her (i.e. I missed! :oops: ). Guess I'll have to call her a pointer now!! :lol: :lol:

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 am

Lol! That's great! I'll have to let my dog read the thread!.. :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln