Best collars?

SCT

Best collars?

Post by SCT » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm wondering what is your favorite dog collar? I have had several different kinds and like the heavy orange nylon ones, but also like the leather ones, just like the orange color on my white pointers. I am looking for the best collar as far as durability, easy to clean (hate the cheap metal hardware that leaves dark residue), nice feel for the dog (one they aren't scratching their neck a lot from). Any certain collar come to mind? I've made my own out of quality leather but they're a bit soft.

Thanks,

Steve

campgsp

Re: Best collars?

Post by campgsp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 pm

I like the heavy orange nylon ones too. Very dependable. I have a round leather collar on my bitch that's really nice too. You can't even tell she has a collar on. Lightweight and durable. She has worn it going on 4 years now and it's just as good as the day I bought it. The D ring could be in a better place but I deal with it.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:01 am

Stoneface makes some great collars, many different colors and engraving plates if you would like that as well. I bought 1 and I would recommend it to anyone. Send him a message and I am sure he will fill you in with any info on colors, exact fabric he uses ect.

Corry

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 am

Gun Dog Supply has a heavy orange nylon collar that doesn't fade as bad and has a waxy feel to it. Permatack makes the heaviest made collars I have that are of the slick, biothane type material.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:44 am

Ghosted3 wrote:Stoneface makes some great collars, many different colors and engraving plates if you would like that as well. I bought 1 and I would recommend it to anyone. Send him a message and I am sure he will fill you in with any info on colors, exact fabric he uses ect.

Corry
+ 1 i sure like my stoneface collars

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:36 am

I bought some leather feel collars from Lion county supply this fall and am very pleased with them. good and heavy material, and great color. I have seen some other folks that have had them for years and they seem to hold up real well without fading.

I will say that I am not a fan of dayglo collars for everyday use.....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Deuce

Best collars?

Post by Deuce » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:01 am

My three have tuf-flex collars from Gun Dog Supply and I think they're great. They clean with just a wet rag. That said, my check cord is from permatack and I ordered it after the collars, my next collars will be from them, great small family business

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:51 am

Thanks guys, great options.

I took my orange ones off two dogs to clean them and noticed they are slightly staining my dogs hair color orange. I admit they were inexpensive collars. Now looking for something better. I will look up permatack and look into others mentioned. I really like the idea of the round leather, but they look like the small round part will be tugging on the dogs throat when on a lead, also I don't think there's a place for a name tag.

Thanks,

Steve

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 am

Both of my dogs have collars made in a leather shop in Redmond, Ore. they are two ply leather, soft leather underneath and have brass buckle and D ring. How will they hold up? I had one made like them years ago for another dog in Montana. Put it on him as a pup and buried him with it on. Could have used it on another dog. These I have now cost me $35 each but now I see that Lion Country has some that look the same for twenty something.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:49 am

I didn't mention permatack because I dont have collars from them and it slipped my mind. I do have check cords and leads from them as well as some horse tack and would definately recomend them.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 am

I have yet to find a collar that does not irritate the underside of my dogs neck.

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Stoneface's collars seem like they'll outlast the dog! I've had them on my digs for a few months and they're holding up great, easy to clean, etc...
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 pm

Sure hope you will take a look at my design if comfort is a concern:

http://realbirdbumper.com

Thanks.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:34 am

I have a Stoneface collar and it is holding up quite well. Good looking collar.

I have a permatack collar and love it as well. A bit pricey, but worth it.

JoePaTurfShoes
Location: Kandahar City, Afghanistan........soon to be Tucson Arizona

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 pm

My stone face collar is at my parents waiting to be picked up by my Dec 1st. Can't wait to see it!