Looking for a Brittany breeder.

Angus

Looking for a Brittany breeder.

Post by Angus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Need some recommendations on Brittany breeders within a half day drive of South Central PA.

I am looking for a Britt that will hunt well with my setter, but at a closer range, and waterfowl. My setter likes to range out and work at a very fast pace in the open. He closes in a little in the thick stuff, but will still go out of bell range regularly. I will also be using the Brittany for waterfowl late season. Mostly corn fields for geese and local streams for mallards and wood ducks.

So looking for a Versatile Brittany for 75% upland and 25% waterfowl to work with a setter. I am just starting my search and do not plan to purchase for a year or two.

I may consider other breeds if they repel burs and thorns, and do not chase cats and coons. :wink:

rkappes

Re: Looking for a Brittany breeder.

Post by rkappes » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:54 pm

Not within' a half day drive but I’d recommend Mark Dinsmore /L’Etoile du Nord Kennels in Sykeston ND. Breeds some of the best EB's in the world.

I know he is in Georgia from time to time, little closer. I also wouldn't count out flying a pup to PA.

On here his name is ohmymy111

Great guy, unbelievable dogs!!

http://www.letoiledunordkennels.com/

Angus

Post by Angus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will certainly add him to the list. I don't mind heading out that far for a weakened or something. It's just not something I can do on a regular basis to meet breeders and dogs.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:40 pm

You looking for French or American?

Angus

Post by Angus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:07 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:You looking for French or American?
I really have no preference. I really like the looks of the tri color french brits, but it mostly comes down to which will fill my needs.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:26 pm

First off... Most Brittanys have trouble with geese, Ive seen this first hand. While they can retrieve dead birds with no problem, they have trouble with the injured birds. Males tend to do a little better. Having said this, there was a cool video a guy posted of his female french britt chasing down a wounded geese... it was pretty impressive.

I got my male Britt from guy here in NC... I would figure about 6-7 hrs from you. Smokin' Gun Brittanys, his name is Eric Lowman.
http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... tanys.html

He is connected with many of the top breeders and field trial lines in the country. He has direct/2nd gen of Nolan's Last Bullet, Shambo's Dark Shadow, Renegade's Kansas Kid, Just Call Me Roy, among others. We love our pup, he shows a lot of promise and a TON of drive. He pointed super early and naturally retrieves. I will also be hunting him on waterfowl, he seems to be aggressive enough and is a LARGE pup.
Last edited by boonebrit on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:32 pm

I got mine through Beeline Brittanies and Windswept Ridge Brittanies, both in North Carolina.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:59 pm

dreamerofdreams wrote:I got mine through Beeline Brittanies and Windswept Ridge Brittanies, both in North Carolina.
Can't go wrong whith those kennels.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:41 am

Give Ann Marie Martucci a call. She has an ad in the "Dogs for sale" section. She's in the Jackson, NJ area, and has some really top notch pups on the ground right now. Sire is a 2 x NGDC, Dam is the littermate to another NGDC. Those pups should do it all, and are only a couple hours from you.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=38603
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 am

Karen wrote:Give Ann Marie Martucci a call. She has an ad in the "Dogs for sale" section. She's in the Jackson, NJ area, and has some really top notch pups on the ground right now. Sire is a 2 x NGDC, Dam is the littermate to another NGDC. Those pups should do it all, and are only a couple hours from you.

I like the tri color male someone should buy him for me :D

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
dreamerofdreams wrote:I got mine through Beeline Brittanies and Windswept Ridge Brittanies, both in North Carolina.
I second that... that group of kennels (Smoke's, Beeline, Windswept) in that region of NC have some excellent dogs. If you look at all thier dogs you will see that they all have each others pups... looks at the pedigrees, the names Smokes, Beelines, Bullet, Windswept, etc are everywhere.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:06 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Yeah, my little girl is a real pistol.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. It's nice to have a comprehensive list to start with. I'll start making phone calls after the holidays and attend some navhda tests and hunt tests in the spring hopefully to some of the dogs in action.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:09 am

whatsnext wrote:
Karen wrote:Give Ann Marie Martucci a call. She has an ad in the "Dogs for sale" section. She's in the Jackson, NJ area, and has some really top notch pups on the ground right now. Sire is a 2 x NGDC, Dam is the littermate to another NGDC. Those pups should do it all, and are only a couple hours from you.

I like the tri color male someone should buy him for me :D
That is one good lookin pup for sure. If I was prepared to purchase now I think I'd be making a trip down south today.