sneaky coyote

campgsp

sneaky coyote

Post by campgsp » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:24 am

So I'm hunting yesterday and I'm walking up to some tall grass and a coyote jumps out right in front of me so close I could touch him with the end of my shotgun. I about poood my pants it happened so fast. He was just as shocked I think he gave one look at me with the gun pointed to his head and booked out of there. My wife got a good laugh. Never going to live this one down.

This ever happen to anyone?

gotpointers

Re: sneaky coyote

Post by gotpointers » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:58 am

Let the lead fly and have more birds for yourself next time.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:30 am

Our pheasant population in Ohio has been wiped out mostly due to the coyote population.... I take em out whenever I can. Had one run within ten yards of me last year during bow season. It was in thick brush... too bad the arrow couldnt get through.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:53 am

boonebrit wrote:Our pheasant population in Ohio has been wiped out mostly due to the coyote population.... .
Do you think its coyotes or the more destructive 'nest' predators such as red fox, striped skunk and raccoon?

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 am

Was in the Dakotas for nearly a month this year and we moved a total of 17 Coyote out of various cover...saw 3 more from the truck while driving. We need to be more active hunting predators. After hatching conditions, they are probably most responsible for small game mortality, as well as the deer herd.

If every small game hunter had to present a coyote/raccoon/skunk/fox pelt to get a license, we might be better off.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:29 am

JKP wrote:Was in the Dakotas for nearly a month this year and we moved a total of 17 Coyote out of various cover...saw 3 more from the truck while driving. We need to be more active hunting predators. After hatching conditions, they are probably most responsible for small game mortality, as well as the deer herd.

If every small game hunter had to present a coyote/raccoon/skunk/fox pelt to get a license, we might be better off.
That's a great idea.!!!

We are getting lots of controversy here locally on a coyote hunting competition from the antis. We are a rural county with lots of agriculture and the Antis are really rallying on this one. I will post some links ASAP.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:38 am

Last edited by gotpointers on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 am

I prob had 6 stop to flush on coyote s. Last season. Kimbers trainer had one running up on her while pointing on a hill in a field trial, had another jump out of the brush three weeks ago while I was running the puppy and Kimber togeather at a training area. I usually let lead fly if I'm within a range that will hurt or kill them. Don't want to shoot for the heck of it and make them learn that we are more dangerous than they thought....

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 pm

rkappes wrote:
boonebrit wrote:Our pheasant population in Ohio has been wiped out mostly due to the coyote population.... .
Do you think its coyotes or the more destructive 'nest' predators such as red fox, striped skunk and raccoon?
Here in Illinois. When the phez population was at its peak so so was the coyote population. So blaming coyotes isn't right. Our population suffers from bad storms since 95, building, farming practices, and others. Illinois was the pheasant destination back then.

I didn't shoot the coyote because it was all white. Call me superstitious but that's like shooting a white Buffalo in my eyes. If he would. Have turned on me though game over for him.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:58 pm

Coyotes have been proven to have little negative affect if not benefit game bird populations, they prey on animals the destroy nests.

On a side note.... an all white coyote?? Was there a black panther with it?

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:46 pm

ACooper wrote:Coyotes have been proven to have little negative affect if not benefit game bird populations, they prey on animals the destroy nests.

Lol if there was a panther I would've headed out of there tail between legs!!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:21 pm

It surely doesnt hurt to kill em, although they are WAY down on the list of TOP PREDATORS. Coyotes actually rank below man. Ferral cats, possums, and coons have a much larger effect on wild bird populations.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

steamer

Post by steamer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:53 pm

i was bow hunting on my mom and dads farm in illinois a few years ago. i shot a doe mid morning . i waited to get down for about an hour then took my stuff up to the truck and get my drag rope. i went back to the start of the blood trail and started tracking the deer i was about 20 yards into the track and got this weird feeling to turn around. there was a yote standing there about five yards behind me . i thought i was going to have to fight the thing hand to paw all i had with me was my knife .we just stared at each other for a few seconds then it moved on. the whole time i was recovering and dressing the deer it was about 50 to 75 yards out watching me. the sks gets to go along now jic . i dont actively hunt them but they do need to be thinned out in my area. they are fair game when we are in the field.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:14 pm

ACooper wrote:Coyotes have been proven to have little negative affect if not benefit game bird populations, they prey on animals the destroy nests.

Exactly.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:07 am

This weekend pheasant hunting my pup locked up hard on a clump of cattails so I started kicking and busting it up until I hear my hunting buddy yell "IT'S A SKUNK!!!" I got me and the pup out of there pretty quick :lol:

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 pm

levi

Post by levi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:23 pm

As much as we Bird Hunters hate coyotes, I would use a cautious approach when shooting a coyote over your bird dog. Because you might end up with a bird dog chasing the coyote which might end up in the next county.

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:11 am

i had one try it at des plaines, bull-1 yotie-0 same thing on opening day.