Training pointing dog to flush on command.

Stoneface

Training pointing dog to flush on command.

Post by Stoneface » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:09 am

Alright, I'm going to take up Woodcock hunting, but some of that cover is so thick I couldn't get in there to flush a bird if I wanted. So, I'm going to train the girls to flush on command. I've been going over in my head how I want to set this up and go about it, but it donned on me that people on this board are from parts of the world where that is regular practice. Thought I'd save myself the hassle and see how you guys go about that?

Thanks for all the help, GDF brethren.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Southwind

Re: Training pointing dog to flush on command.

Post by Southwind » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:28 am

I would try getting ahold of some of the southern plantation quail hunting outfitters. A lot of the ones I have seen on TV train their dogs to flush on command to get the pen raised quail to fly. Makes it kinda resemble a wild quail flush and makes it pretty safe.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:39 am

Many of the areas where we hunt Grouse are extremely thick too, and we have to have our dogs (Pointing Labs) break point in order to make a flush. We also run our dogs in HRC Upland tests, where the rules say that the dogs must make the flush.
We just teach and then use the "Get the bird" command. Sometimes it's tough to get the dog to break point and we have to give the command a few times.

EDIT : (After reading "x Bred's comment) : Having our dogs flush has NEVER caused a problem with pointing or steady to flush, and it certaily doesn't confuse them.

Last edited by Doc E on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

x Bred Pointer

Post by x Bred Pointer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:55 am

I see you have a belly band on that nice looking pointer of yours and probably used it to steady the dog up around game. Now you want to erase some of that steadiness by letting the dog flush game?
I know this is common practise in some areas especially Europe but it goes against conventional North American methods.
I hunt in the heaviest cover imaginable and would never consider asking my dog to flush. I realize it is tough when you are by yourself but if you hunt with a companion you can take turns flushing. Or, take your wife along to wade in and flush for you.LOL
As a caveat, I trial my dogs so asking them to flush would be very confusing to them after they have been broke to wing and shot. IMO
At the end of the day, if that's what you want go for it.