Big range + bad recall = problem

Gertie

Big range + bad recall = problem

Post by Gertie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm fostering this 2 year old male setter and have found him a nice home but there's a problem that I'm concerned with and would like to hear some thoughts. Prior to a week ago when I got this dog nobody had worked with him and he doesn't know a darn thing. His recall is virtually non-existent and I've been working on it with him but it's still nowhere near reliable. To compound the problem, this dog can really run. He makes huge casts (around a mile sometimes!!!) and comes back around only when he feels like it. I've 'lost' him for 30-45 minutes a couple of times. Any thoughts that I could pass on to his new owner to help him get this under control? Also, he's going to be living in SE Idaho near Pocatello, so if any of you know of a good trainer or club that has group training sessions in that area that I could refer him to that might be helpful as well.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Winchey

Re: Big range + bad recall = problem

Post by Winchey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Tell him to buy a garmin and a horse, try to bond and not to cut him loose unless in huge areas. Or just not to get attached at all lol.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 pm

If I were taking this dog, he'd learn recall before he got to run again, period. Any new dog I bring in gets basic OB anyway, so it would just be part of the adjustment to a new home.

Think of it as taking in a 20 year old kid. "These are the house rules, buddy." :D

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Pretty easy to get a realiable recall in a couple of weeks especially with an older dog, I would refrain from running him until I had him collar conditioned with a decent recall. Also, this would serve as a good bonding time for the new owner, I do not recommend to anyone to turn loose a dog that does not know them you might end up with a lost dog. A garmin is a good crutch but if the dog is not bonded with the new owner I think that you are asking for trouble.