When to run pup off ATV?

Post Reply
bb560m
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm

When to run pup off ATV?

Post by bb560m » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:53 pm

My guy is 3.5 mos old now, thinking of trying it. I expect he might just be following now. Should I go slow or encourage him to go in front or for now just get him used to running at that speed?

Any tips for the first time with the puppy?

Thanks!

User avatar
Fester
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Possum Trot KY

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by Fester » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Yea leave the 4 wheeler at home for now when he get s a little bigger and hunts to the front quartering you might try it real slow
Fester

bb560m
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by bb560m » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Fester wrote:Yea leave the 4 wheeler at home for now when he get s a little bigger and hunts to the front quartering you might try it real slow
Fester
Uhhh, he better not be quartering - running hard to the front is more like it.

User avatar
brad27
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1334
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 am
Location: menifee, CA

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by brad27 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:00 pm

bb560m wrote:
Fester wrote:Yea leave the 4 wheeler at home for now when he get s a little bigger and hunts to the front quartering you might try it real slow
Fester
Uhhh, he better not be quartering - running hard to the front is more like it.
+1
Pups out here get run infront of the quad at around 4 months old. Nothing fast, just puttin along, getting them used to going with and staying to the front.

User avatar
Fester
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Possum Trot KY

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by Fester » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Explain not quartering I figured setting the speed where he would drift right and left would be better than blasting in a straight line to the front, unless there are birds in that line
Fester

bb560m
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by bb560m » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Fester wrote:Explain not quartering I figured setting the speed where he would drift right and left would be better than blasting in a straight line to the front, unless there are birds in that line
Fester
We run on open grounds, he should be running from objective to objective as fast as possible. Quartering would be a waste of time, it'd be checking for a bird in dirt...

User avatar
Fester
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Possum Trot KY

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by Fester » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Ok that makes more sense I guess quartering was a poor choice of words but I was pictureing a 3 and a half month pup driving in front of a 4wheeler there is no dirt where im at, I have done this on several I like to let the dog set the speed
Fester

myerstenn
Rank: Champion
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:23 am

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by myerstenn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:57 am

Fester wrote:Ok that makes more sense I guess quartering was a poor choice of words but I was pictureing a 3 and a half month pup driving in front of a 4wheeler there is no dirt where im at, I have done this on several I like to let the dog set the speed
Fester
AT that age I would gang run him with some other young dogs, you dont need to move to fast, when he or they start reaching out you can pick up the tempo a little. The objective is to get him used to the noise and move to the front

romeo212000
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:55 am

myerstenn wrote:
Fester wrote:Ok that makes more sense I guess quartering was a poor choice of words but I was pictureing a 3 and a half month pup driving in front of a 4wheeler there is no dirt where im at, I have done this on several I like to let the dog set the speed
Fester
AT that age I would gang run him with some other young dogs, you dont need to move to fast, when he or they start reaching out you can pick up the tempo a little. The objective is to get him used to the noise and move to the front
I'm not sure I agree with this. Pup needs to learn independence and gang running detracts from that

bb560m
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: When to run pup off ATV?

Post by bb560m » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Well - the little guy did ok. Ran besides it mostly - checked out some objectives on the side. Didn't get more than 20-30 yards out though, mostly to the sides. I guess we'll just keep doing it until he figures it out. Not bad for 14 weeks I guess.

Post Reply