Muddy Creek Kennels

TRoberts

Muddy Creek Kennels

Post by TRoberts » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Burns Family and their dogs, training ?
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Stoneface

Re: Muddy Creek Kennels

Post by Stoneface » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:44 pm

That's a coincidence, I just talked to Craig a couple hours ago. We're both in the Joplin trial club. I'm headed out to his place to pick up some flea treatment he makes. Stuff is awesome. I also buy quail from him in the summer time. I've not seen too much of his dogs, but have been out to his place a few times. His got a great big quail pen and about 150 Shorthairs on his place at any given time. I did see a pair of dogs he sold a doctor out of Mississippi. Nice dogs. Big. Very methodical and had all the right mechanics. I can tell you that from what I've heard others say about his stuff, people that have known him and his dogs, he isn't anything to scoff at. Now, he is old school. He has no problem putting his hands on a dog and his dogs are about as far from trial dogs as you can get, but they seem to do well with anyone who takes one on.

As far as them as people, they're salt of the earth. Great folks that will shoot you square.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Stoneface wrote:That's a coincidence, I just talked to Craig a couple hours ago. We're both in the Joplin trial club. I'm headed out to his place to pick up some flea treatment he makes. Stuff is awesome. I also buy quail from him in the summer time. I've not seen too much of his dogs, but have been out to his place a few times. His got a great big quail pen and about 150 Shorthairs on his place at any given time. I did see a pair of dogs he sold a doctor out of Mississippi. Nice dogs. Big. Very methodical and had all the right mechanics. I can tell you that from what I've heard others say about his stuff, people that have known him and his dogs, he isn't anything to scoff at. Now, he is old school. He has no problem putting his hands on a dog and his dogs are about as far from trial dogs as you can get, but they seem to do well with anyone who takes one on.

As far as them as people, they're salt of the earth. Great folks that will shoot you square.

Thank you very much...
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:05 pm

No problem. I do have a story I thought of since I posted that. I was out at his place picking up some birds last summer and we got to talking about how all the new birddoggers get freaky over their dogs and make things more complicated than it has to be. He brought up that he has, a few times, had to doctor his own dogs. Said he had one dog get ran over by a tractor and torn his front end all the heck. He said he got out a needle and some quilting thread and stitched him up. Another time a lady brought him a dog - I think it was a Boxer or a Great Dane - that had been hit by a car. Said he wrapped it up with gauze, terry cloth towels and thread. I guess the lady couldn't afford what a vet would have asked, but Craig got him taken care of. Both dogs recovered fully and his dog that was hit by a tractor he even sold to a guy and did alright on. Like I said, old school.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Last time I hunted with Craig in KS, he an AKC FC that with him that we hunted over.

Jiminla

Post by Jiminla » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 pm

My brother and I own three of his dogs now and a fourth on the way. We are overly pleased with what we see in them. This is their first year and they are doing great!!

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Jiminla wrote:My brother and I own three of his dogs now and a fourth on the way. We are overly pleased with what we see in them. This is their first year and they are doing great!!
Thanks! Did you get trained dogs from them or pups?

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:01 pm

TR there are MANY amazing GSP breeders in your neck of the woods! Call Dunfur Kennels up and see what he has for you! No need to go halfway across the country. JMO

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Elkhunter wrote:TR there are MANY amazing GSP breeders in your neck of the woods! Call Dunfur Kennels up and see what he has for you! No need to go halfway across the country. JMO
Thanks!!

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 pm

I hear Stormy Weather Kennels has some really outstanding stuff. You may try giving Gene a call.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Stoneface wrote:I hear Stormy Weather Kennels has some really outstanding stuff. You may try giving Gene a call.

Thanks!! I really apreciate the help.

Jiminla

Post by Jiminla » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 am

We purchase two pups and trained them on our own and my brother purchased a 12 month old ready as I am waiting for a 12 month old finished dog myself. The pups are which are now a year old are working great. They cover the ground very well for quail hunting and adapt perfect in the woods when we woodcock hunt. The dogs range well and they just get out there and hunt. They also began responding so well at six months old to planted pigeons and quail. We knew we had something worth while early in the game.

Back

Post by Back » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 am

Does Craig have a long waiting list to get a pup in for training or is it pretty easy to get a dog in to him?

I've been considering sending one to him for a couple of weeks now, but still doing my research. Wouldnt want it out there until late Spring, early Summer.

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Jiminla wrote:We purchase two pups and trained them on our own and my brother purchased a 12 month old ready as I am waiting for a 12 month old finished dog myself. The pups are which are now a year old are working great. They cover the ground very well for quail hunting and adapt perfect in the woods when we woodcock hunt. The dogs range well and they just get out there and hunt. They also began responding so well at six months old to planted pigeons and quail. We knew we had something worth while early in the game.
Thanks!

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Does Craig have a long waiting list to get a pup in for training or is it pretty easy to get a dog in to him?

I've been considering sending one to him for a couple of weeks now, but still doing my research. Wouldnt want it out there until late Spring, early Summer.

I beleive you have a great trainer closer to your neck of the woods. You might check him out. There is a book to read TRAINING WITH MO. I learn better by seeing but each learns differently. I think Maurice Lindley would be worth checking into.

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:46 am

+1 on Maurice

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:01 am

Meller wrote:+1 on Maurice
+2
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 am

Meller wrote:+1 on Maurice
+1,243 on Maurice.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:22 pm

I got a pup from Craig over the summer, and so far (6 months old) I'm really happy with him. I will say that I have no desire to get into field trialing, and don't have a ton of experience with pointing dogs, but I have been impressed so far. Craig is a great guy, as is the rest of his family.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 pm

I can not say enough good about Maurice Lindly. His understanding and techniques are top notch. I consider Mo a living legend in the bird dog world.

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm

bigeyedfish wrote:I got a pup from Craig over the summer, and so far (6 months old) I'm really happy with him. I will say that I have no desire to get into field trialing, and don't have a ton of experience with pointing dogs, but I have been impressed so far. Craig is a great guy, as is the rest of his family.

Thanks !