What age should I start training

Mstng_ray

What age should I start training

Post by Mstng_ray » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:52 pm

Just wondering what's a good age to start really getting serious. The pup just turned 16 weeks. She has a good bird sense about her and I have used a wing and scents off and on. But mostly been working on commands and house breaking. I run her out in the hills and her confidence is good and really starting to follow her nose. She is really solid now on commands for the most part but still acts like a pup. So should I start getting serious now or is she still to young?

Ghosted3

Re: What age should I start training

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am

Let the pup be a pup for awhile, but it is getting close to the age for some more serious training 5-6mo. is a good time to take it up a notch. Just remember to make sure that your pup has the previous command down almost 100% before you move on to something else.

Corry

bmcox86

Post by bmcox86 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 pm

I would start her now, I started my pup at 12 weeks and I killed his first bird over him at 6 months. Start slow by just showing him a pigeon and letting it fly away in front of him and let him chase it. Don't go to fast and only work him once and week and start letting him wear the e collar whenever you train not turned on. He will start getting excited whenever he sees it and the other training stuff and well be ready for harder training by 5-6 months.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Let it be a puppy. I'd start here & kennel around now and whoa in a few more months. Depending on how birdy your dog is I'd start introducing the shotgun via the Perfect Start method in an open field where it can see everything.

No commands or control on birds for a while or if it's running off.

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm

after the 1st or 2nd season on WILD birds then its time to put the polish on a dog for the field.

Let the dog run around like a fool for the first year and learn the ropes. I would say even the 2nd year as well.

Once you got 1 season on wild birds through the dog and you can walk up to him on point without whoa'ing then you can start to do bird work.

Training starts the day they are born and ends the day they die.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 pm

My 7 month old GSP has been hunting as a guide dog since the first weekend of October, what are you waiting on get the basics good and solid I say then throw the big dog stuff at them.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:24 am

When it comes to training there are many, many different opinions. Ask 3 different people and you will get 3 different responses. My two EP pups are around the same age as yours. I've worked on the commands "kennel" and "here". They have those two commands down pretty good. Have not E collar conditioned them and won't for some time yet. Those are the two commands that are very important especially "here".

They have been going on daily field walks since I brought them home. I'm forutunate enough to be able step out my back door and take off with them. This is also the time I am teaching them that when I say their name in the field we are changing directions or I want them out ahead of me. As of recent they have started picking that up as well. I haven't started any formal obedience such as heeling yet so they pull on the leash pretty good but that is one of the easiest fixes there are.

I'll start them on birds in the next month or two. They have pointed a wing (more out of curiousity on my part than anything). I won't do any whoa training until later this summer. Again I can't imagine that being a dificult task so I'm not real worried about getting on that too soon.

To sum it up as of now the main things I have been concentrating on are: "Here", "Kennel" and getting them to change direction in the field.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 am

I have heard of a lot of places that are kennels and breeders and such dont start training till the pup is 18 months old, IMO I think you are losing critical time of the learnning and imprinting stages of pups. I mean I have read many books over the years that say riding in a car/truck going up and down stairs and such if not taught by the first 6 months you will have trouble later. I dont know and have seen pups break out of a shell by having children maul and smother a pup and break the pups shell. They just seem to get thier confidence, I broke a gun shy dog by having my kids maul him to death and hunting him with other dogs at the same time, after that my friend was walking off with the dog in 3 months and huting over him with no problems. IMO introduction and repation I think is the key with pups.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 pm

There are different levels of training but basically it starts at day one and never ends until the dog dies. You need to teach the dog how to learn with basic, positive things and progress as the dog matures. There is no magic age for a given breed much less an individual dog as far as training goes and at what point you can put more pressure on. If It were that easy then we wouldn't have pro's who are paid to do the training. My suggestion would be to get involved with your local parent club and seek help from experienced people in the breed rather than the Internet (or hire a pro.)

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 pm

You can start teaching manners any time. Recall can start at every meal. Make your recall command, then put the food dish down. A trained dog knows what you want and don't want. Makes for confidence. The time spent training helps bond.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Right now. The first 6 months are the most important, its the impressin stage this were you help them undestand whats exspected From birds to house manners with little to no pressure. Get to training have fun, read ur dog. if you have any questions on what to do pm me i would be glad to help.