puppy eating "poop"

MacQuarrie

puppy eating "poop"

Post by MacQuarrie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Howdy- weird topic I know. I have a 13 week old GR, my first hunting dog. Having a hard time keeping her out of whatever kind of poop she can find when we're on walks or training- deer, dog, cow, it doesn't matter. I asked the vet about, and she said that it is normal and that she'll likely grow out of it. So far I've just been removing it from her mouth and firmly telling her no. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this and if they have any tips or ideas. I hope she'll just grow out of it, but in the interim I need to figure something out. Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the weird thread.
Waterfowling is the like flu, not everyone gets it

Angus

Re: puppy eating "poop"

Post by Angus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Completely normal. In fact if a pup/dog does not eat poop I would think there is something wrong with them. :lol:

Anyhow. I teach "leave it". It works for many unwanted things, but you can't go over board. I like to let young pups be pups and explore and eat anything that will not hurt them. As they get older I introduce "Leave it" on poo. They still get into it regardless, but they don't "chow down" and only get a couple gulps down. Then they lick your face and rub it in. :wink:

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:37 pm

I remember my dog threw up horse poop in my car once, thank god for crates! I've smelled a lot of bad stuff, but that was in the top 5 for sure. He grew out of it. The eCollar didn't seem to help much (is he eating poop or just smelling something interesting? Zap) He grew out of it.

MacQuarrie

Post by MacQuarrie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks for the input fellas.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Had a Lab that preferred the cat turds outta the litter box cuz they had sprinkles on'em... He'll outgrow it... they are gross! Lol! :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 pm

When my pointer was young she would run from pile to pile and grab a chunk at each one. You always knew when she found one that tasted good. She stopped and had a quick lunch. It helps them run the tree lines better. :D :wink:

The pup will grow out of it. Just don't take kisses, but when your wife is on you she completely gets kisses. Gotta get the digs in where you can. :P

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm

After he does it just tell him to kiss your wife.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:20 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Had a Lab that preferred the cat turds outta the litter box cuz they had sprinkles on'em... He'll outgrow it... they are gross! Lol! :mrgreen:

My oldest french britt had his head in the cat litter box one time enjoying a little kitty brownie and as i walked in the room and scolded him he tried to run out of the room with the cat litter box still on his head.That was one of the funniest things i have ever seen a dog do, who knows why they eat some things and role in others.

MacQuarrie

Post by MacQuarrie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Seems like deer turds are her favorite. She is amazing at finding them, even under the snow that we had recently had. I'm just going to lay back a little bit, try to keep her out of them, and tell her no when she finds them. My wife appreciated the comments about convincing pup to give her kisses after enjoying a little turd dessert.

Northwoods

Post by Northwoods » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 am

yep deer turds are definately my dogs favorite. i use the leave it command when she tries to eat poop or garbage. however i know she still manages to sneak in some deer crap when i'm not paying attention

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 am

Nothing wrong with it and makes kennel clean up much easier! :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:23 pm

it's winter and my dogs are all enjoying the horse "poopsicles"

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 pm

HA! WHEN do they grow out of it? I'm still waiting to accept kisses from my 7 yr old. I was told she was a "kennel owner's dream".
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit