Putting a bird dog to work...without hunting?

cptn

Putting a bird dog to work...without hunting?

Post by cptn » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 pm

The older my Britt gets (8 months), the more exertion is needed to calm him down. We already run 6 miles every single day (3 in the early morning, 3 in the evening), small sessions of obedience training throughout the day, and then play before bed. But I feel like I need to mentally exhaust him more. Though he's technically a show Britt, he does have ancestors (second gen) that were champions in the field, and I can see a drive to chase any moving animal. And he points my small Yorkshire all the time in the house. I know nothing about hunting with dogs, the type of game, or anything, and honestly, I don't plan on becoming a hunter. But I'd love to exercise my dog in what he was bred for, without actually hunting. Any suggestions? Could I do scent training or sight training? Retrieving maybe? Should I bother? I'm an old-fashioned trainer;I don't use an e-collar, but thought about purchasing one. I want to put this pup to work! He's rowdy, and I feel like he'd be more behaved if he was doing something similar to what he was bred for. He's super smart, too. He picks up things so fast.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Putting a bird dog to work...without hunting?

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:31 pm

I think I'd steer you to Agility and K9 NoseWork. You don't need an e-collar.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

cptn

Post by cptn » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Oh, nice! Already considered agility! Didn't think it was relevant, but awesome. I'll have to go to a building with the equipment. I'm very interested in nosework. Guess I'll start researching tracking exercises to start with. Though U'd like to find something with limited financial obligation .
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

benelli

Post by benelli » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43 pm

If you have a big open area you can let him run around in, that might help too. Recently I found an area 15 minutes from the house where I can let our 8 month old GSP take off; even though his recall still isn't 100% (we have an e-collar being shipped right now to help with that), I know he's not going to completely disappear on me, and he definitely puts more (and faster) miles on than I could ever do running him. He goes around looking for birds, and even though there aren't any out there I think it's still working his brain a little.

Also you could try getting one of those bike leash attachments (we have a WalkyDog); it takes some getting used to, but that's another easy way to burn off energy (although I guess it's not necessarily all that mentally stimulating).

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Have you ever been bird hunting? Find a friend who hunts, call up a local preserve, post your location here. Just go out as an observer with someone who has a decent dog. Don't take your dog or a gun. Just watch. See what it has to offer. For many of us--and certainly for your dog--it's a lot. You might be surprised.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Purchase a few pheasant wings and play find the wing while out on your jogs.

steamer

Post by steamer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 pm

you might check this out you dont have to hunt to participate in the training days and or testing http://www.navhda.org/ this chapter might be close to you http://avc-navhda.cmdaugherty.com/ good luck and have fun.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Hopefully you are getting your pup some quality off leash exercise. It goes a long way.