Beepers

willt

Beepers

Post by willt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:08 pm

I have been thinking, I hunt alot of thick cover and Ive been asked why I dont run beepers. I hunt alot of running phesants in this thick stuff, with them being a running bird wouldnt the sound of a beeper make them more skidish? I guess im just old school and like my dogs to be as quiet as possible on the hunt.

JIM K

Re: Beepers

Post by JIM K » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:38 pm

some say bell does or doenst scare birds.
i use small bell while hunting grouse.
i like to know where my dog is all time.

46 yrs hunting grouse.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:39 pm

I hunt my dogs with beepers all the time. We hunt pheasants in tall grass (at least waist high) also tall crp. If it wasn't for the beepers I wouldn't know where my dogs are half the time, especially when on point. I have found that the beepers have no effect on the birds. People yelling and or talking real loud does spook them though.............

willt

Post by willt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:08 pm

I find it funny I get asked the question all the time how do you know where your dog are in the tall stuff. I have watched my dogs hunt enough and I keep a close eye on the tall grass, I can see it move. I keep a pretty good eye on my dogs and usuallu when I cant see the grass moving my dogs usually on point where i last saw them. Thanks for the replies.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:31 pm

I guess my dogs get out a little further. Also when hunting quail in pretty rough country with lots of wild rose bushes, ther is no movement of the bushes or anything else. The birds will sit while the beepers are singing unless you or dogs flush (spook) them. I was just trying to answer your question about spooking pheasants.

willt

Post by willt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Art I know u were and I appreciate it, I think I might get some. Thanks again

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:27 pm

A beeper can turn a total panic over having lost your dog (or thinking you have) into a solid point and a dead bird to bring home. Or you can only use it for the "locate" feature. Better to have it (on silent,if you prefer)and not need it than...

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 pm

I run beepers, but I only use them to locate my dog. I have found that the beepers will not bother quail, but they will move pheasants. I have flushed a many covey of birds over my dog with the beeper still sounding !! Pheasants are a different story !! I have hunted with a guy that ran beepers on his dogs that were "beeping" non-stop. It's pretty mind numbing to me. I would rather just turn them on to locate the dog. I completely agree with Steve007. I think us Missouri boys think a like !!

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't know what kind of collar you have been around that beeps nonstop? I have a Dogtra's and you can turn a locate beeper on that beeps constantly, or you can set it to only beep when on point, or just beep rapidly for locating the dog when you hold a button down, or no beep at all. Is that how the TT beepers work?

I am a pheasant hunter and I would not consider buying a collar that didn't do all of this. For me, it is essential when hunting in tall cover. I have pointing dog friends who don't have them and every single one of them wishes he had started his dog with one as a pup after hunting with me. It's tough for some dogs to adjust to that beeper going off when they point a bird if they didn't start with it as a pup.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 pm

if you are hunting where you can see a fair distance and dog works within that range and no hunters around, I WOULD RUN SILENT.
but i hunt publicland.
i like BELL on my small munsterlander.
but now i went to GARMIN ALPHA. but i may still run bell on him if hunting close in thick brush.
i just dont trust public hunters anymore shooting into brush with your dog running silent.