Dog boots?

jetjockey

Dog boots?

Post by jetjockey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 am

I just picked my Brit up from the trainer yesterday for her two month vacation before I send her back on the circuit. My trainer was adimit that I keep her in shape because she is right where he wants her, and he wants her to hit the ground running once she goes back. I'm going to hunt her a ton, but will need to road her off my bike as well to keep her speed up ( we only enter her in 1 hr trials except for the occasional AAA weekend trial I get to run her in). In the past I've roaded her 2-3x's per week for about 45 minutes in my neighbor on the street. Her pads held up just fine but I'm going to bump it up, and want to make SURE I don't blow out her pads. Do any of you have experience using boots? Which ones are the best? Thanks in advance.. Jet.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog boots?

Post by ultracarry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 am

I always use Lewis dog boots from gun dog supply. I don't think you will ever have to replace them unless you loose one..... Cheap also. Have tried a few different ones and non held up to a full day of running except them.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 am

X2 The lewis boots. Adhesive gauze then wrap the duct tape to it to hold on the boots.

I would think it's better to continue to toughen the pads by running no boots. I think I would have some soft hands if I wore gloves for two months then tried to work without them.

cptn

Post by cptn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 am

Musher's Secret Paw Wax. Very cheap, great reviews. It was made for sled dogs in snow to protect cracking from ice and cold weather, but many have used it for hunting or just daily protection from rough terrain. It feels natural to the dog, takes a few.minutes to get used to it, and it allows natural motion of the paws. Just smear a thick layer on and go!
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 am

Gotpointers.... Im going to continue to hunt her and run her off the roads as well. Im not too worried about her pads getting soft. I just don't want the pavement to destroy them when Im roading her for 10-12 miles at a time off my bike. I dont have any way to run her on the dirt, and I live in a housing development. I might even occasionally run her without the boots, but her first trials back will most likely be 1 hour championships within 3 days of eachother. I have to keep her speed up, but I only have 1 real way to do that.. Thus the boots.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 pm

use mountain bike and run the pup on dirt not asphalt etc. it hurts joints including us.i know nothing about boots .