Beware of traps

tompetey

Beware of traps

Post by tompetey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:55 am

Wife was out walking our 5month old short hair on our own property dog was on a 50' check cord and wack in the grass was a conibear trap the pup was killed please everyone be very careful even if you think you have a safe area there are alway people that do what they want, traps were tagged and set in the road right away game warden say they were all set legal so there is nothing we can do, bad deal just please be aware

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Beware of traps

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:21 am

How could it be legal if it was on your property without your permission?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:How could it be legal if it was on your property without your permission?

Ezzy
Set on the road right-of-way, on their property.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:26 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. Snares and traps are one of my biggest worries in the field. I don't know what more you could have done to keep your dog safe, and the deeply offensive part of this is that you were on your own land. A basic courtesy from the trapper would have been to inform you of his intentions, and even though he was within the letter of the law because the trap was within the road allowance, he was unethical in his careless placement of that set.

Last week in Manitoba, two dogs were killed in similar traps when walking near paths in provincial parks. I understand that the trapping regulations will be changed to prohibit trapping in some parks, and restrict trap sets placed near paths and developed areas in other parks. Maybe you could spark changes to your municipal or state regulations regarding how closely traps may be set near houses and roadways.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:34 am

I have a feeling we're talking about a ditch, which I know some may consider their property. Here in Iowa, there are a few rules about trapping ditches in proximity to fencelines and to residential drives. Sorry about your pup. That had to be traumatic for your wife as well. It's too bad the trapper didn't knock on your door and give you a heads up. While not required, I know the trappers around me, and they actually call on their opener to let me know they're setting up. It's a courtesy reminder that they know I truly appreciate.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:41 am

Geez, that's terrible.

Maybe this info will help someone else...

http://www.terrierman.com/traprelease.htm

tompetey

Post by tompetey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:49 am

Yes it was a drainage ditch off a road we have been running our dogs there all year and everyone in the area knows we run them there, if you don't read the rule book you would have never guessed that it would be legal an then you never would even have thought to look or be aware of the traps but I do agree that the trapper should have tried to at least let someone know, it's just a bad deal an make us very angry because there is nothing we can do, other than try to make others aware that this can happen even when you think it's in a safe place

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Last winter my brothers drathaar put his head in a lynx conibear trap. My bro and his wife were 100 yards down the trail when they heard the screaming, through testosterone my brother broke the conibear trap and got the dog out. The dog had his shock collar and regular collar on, both are heavy nylon which saved his life. They were walking on a well known trail that had been turned into a trap line. I wish there was a law that forced trappers to mark their trap lines with signs to let otheres know. A similar experience happened to me with my springer spaniel 20 years earlier.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Horrific. Can't imagine the terror your wife went through watching that.

This should be a sticky somewhere, IMO:

shags wrote:Geez, that's terrible.

Maybe this info will help someone else...

http://www.terrierman.com/traprelease.htm

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:55 pm

When PETA and their ilk set their sights on the fur industry the rest of the sporting community hung them out on a short rope. The result of that was some ill advised policies aimed at public perception resulting in the use of "kill sets".

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:08 pm

Minnesota needs to come up with some new regulations regarding this issue. This is my 1st Bird dog and the thought never entered my mind until my GSP got caught in a snare last year grouse hunting. Now I have been reading with quit frequency about people losing dogs to these traps here in MN and it is sad. I wonder if you were able to talk with the trapper and ask him what he thought about cathing your pup. One would think with all the land out there the odds of getting caught in a conibear would be slim to none, but I guess the odds are alot better than I ever imangined.... I would like to see the use of conibear 220's moved to a later season. After the upland hunting is done. Even though this happened while training it still happened during the hunting season.

tompetey

Post by tompetey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:38 pm

I would love to talk with the trapper see how he felt about it, game warden said he would tell him when he returned his traps I would guess I will never hear back from warden even though I asked him to please let me know what he said

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:39 pm

So sorry to read about your loss. I worked with trappers a lot during my M.S. here in MO on river otters. Most are great guys, some are not. That said, I'm really upset that conibears are allowed as land-sets. I assumed (I know about that) that conibears were only allowed as underwater sets - along with drowning snares.

I've had a dog caught in a foothold trap with no major injuries while quail hunting. I really did think the newer trapping regulations didn't allow kill sets on land - I guess I'll have to be more diligent when running the pups.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:55 pm

I am very very sorry for your loss and that your wife had to see it. This will sound off, but I just hope it was quick for the pup. I am not anti trapper as I am sure there are a lot that try to avoid this.
I would hope that the guy would have the respect to come and speak with you, and I hope if it happens that you will be strong enough to hold it all together.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:13 am

In my state there are some pretty good rules on conibears. They must be underwater or at least 4 ft off the ground or in an enclosure depending on the trap size. That's great if the rules are followed. I used to trap when I was a kid so I'm kind of in the middle on this. Not many people trap here anymore but I saw a nice set of folding bolt cutters at Sears that would work great in an emergency. As far as warning marking traps you might as well put up a sign that says "steal me" plus the animal rights people would love it