Fitting the drop in a gun.

Stoneface

Fitting the drop in a gun.

Post by Stoneface » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Have done some studying up on fitting a gun and it turns out this new gun just does NOT fit me. There's about four finger's width between my nose and my thumb when I mount it at the front trigger and when I mount it comfortably to my cheek the bottom point of the butt is poking me in the shoulder... this hurts like heck when it recoils so I've started instinctively shouldering it and dropping my head so it doesn't poke.

I can adjust the reach, that's not a problem. But what do you do about the drop? If it was too high I could probably handle it, but there's not enough.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

dead mike

Re: Fitting the drop in a gun.

Post by dead mike » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:29 pm

heres my advice, you might not be able to afford this but i suggest you try. sell the gun save some money and have yourself fitted for a shotgun. Take your dimensions and order a Ugartechea through LCS. Youll never be able to shoot another gun again.

If you cant afford that, shoulder every gun in your price range, look at a target in the store, close your eyes and see what gun shoulders the closet to the target. This is a easy way to figure what fits. good luck

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:08 pm

It's not cheap to be fitted, but I found it made all the difference.There an Englishman here who is an expert gunsmith.

If you gain weight though , you gain weight on your face and ears too. Fit can then be off and hearing aid needs to be refitted. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Fester

Post by Fester » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:47 pm

you need a gunsmith "or " the old man at a local skeet shooting range if your comfortable letting somebody whittle on your stock and adjust your tang, actually I like the advise about go to the local gunshop and shoulder all the guns there and find one that feels good :|
Fester

rgsiii

Post by rgsiii » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Get real measurements of the guns you shoot well, figure out the LOP, cast, drop at comb and heel, the pitch and the other factors--this may give you a guess as to where to go. There are measuring devices for all of these variables.

If there is a problem with the drop or cast, depending on the stock and gun, it may be able to bend it. Bending used to cost about $125 and you will need exact measurements.

I think getting a real fitting is a good idea. There are many different variables as to what is a proper fit. Usually, an American fitter will set you up with a shorter length of pull than his English counterpart. The addition of November clothing may make the July measurements too long. The type of shooting will change what will be optimal. I don't think that fitting is all black and white--there is a lot of grey.

See a fitter that is familiar with your style of shooting. You don't want to get the "perfect" fit and have to change your style of shooting to make it work. I shoot more "English" and have been fitted by two Brits. A well known American shotgunner wanted to take 3/4" off my LOP, even though I shot as well as anyone in his class. Taking off that much of my stock would have really affected my shooting and destroy the resale value of my guns.

None of my local gunsmiths would be qualified to fit a shotgun. This may be different in other areas.

rgsiii

Post by rgsiii » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Get real measurements of the guns you shoot well, figure out the LOP, cast, drop at comb and heel, the pitch and the other factors--this may give you a guess as to where to go. There are measuring devices for all of these variables.

If there is a problem with the drop or cast, depending on the stock and gun, it may be able to bend it. Bending used to cost about $125 and you will need exact measurements.

I think getting a real fitting is a good idea. There are many different variables as to what is a proper fit. Usually, an American fitter will set you up with a shorter length of pull than his English counterpart. The addition of November clothing may make the July measurements too long. The type of shooting will change what will be optimal. I don't think that fitting is all black and white--there is a lot of grey.

See a fitter that is familiar with your style of shooting. You don't want to get the "perfect" fit and have to change your style of shooting to make it work. I shoot more "English" and have been fitted by two Brits. A well known American shotgunner wanted to take 3/4" off my LOP, even though I shot as well as anyone in his class. Taking off that much of my stock would have really affected my shooting and destroy the resale value of my guns.

None of my local gunsmiths would be qualified to fit a shotgun. This may be different in other areas.