Had it with SportDog

MATT4126

Had it with SportDog

Post by MATT4126 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:29 am

I bought the all new much improved 1825 system and it didn't work right out of the box. OK, no big deal call customer service and have them send me new pieces and parts and all is good for a time. Range is nowhere near the advertised 1 mile, and the collars never held a charge. OK, no big deal the customer service was great and they sent me new transmitters and new collars and not even 2 years later went to the woods yesterday and one collar is toast. Tried re programming and nothing, entirely dead. All this said I am ready to throw them in the can, chalk up the $400 to bad luck and bad product and move along.

At this point I am really eyeing the Garmin Alpha. I would love the functionality of the GPS and the proven reliability of Tritronics. $1100 is a bunch of money for 2 collars and transmitter, but if it operates as advertised it might be worth it. Any thoughts?

willt

Re: Had it with SportDog

Post by willt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 am

U could also go with the garmin astro 320 with 2 dc40 collars for 750.00, I have heard good things about it also.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 am

If it were me ,I'd get a pro 500 and a 320/dc40. The alpha is a great idea, but it just came out. There are always bugs that need to be fixed the first year. The 500/astro combo is tried and true. A little more money but worth it, just for the piece of mind of the reliability of the units. JMO

Doug

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:01 am

MATT4126 wrote:I bought the all new much improved 1825 system and it didn't work right out of the box. OK, no big deal call customer service and have them send me new pieces and parts and all is good for a time. Range is nowhere near the advertised 1 mile, and the collars never held a charge. OK, no big deal the customer service was great and they sent me new transmitters and new collars and not even 2 years later went to the woods yesterday and one collar is toast. Tried re programming and nothing, entirely dead. All this said I am ready to throw them in the can, chalk up the $400 to bad luck and bad product and move along.

At this point I am really eyeing the Garmin Alpha. I would love the functionality of the GPS and the proven reliability of Tritronics. $1100 is a bunch of money for 2 collars and transmitter, but if it operates as advertised it might be worth it. Any thoughts?

i just bought GARMIN ALPHA.yes they are having downloads to correct some things or as said getting bugs out. garmin site has downloads.
you are always going to have UPDATES or corrections.

you can read 2 reviews on alpha.
1 is at LCS other at GDS .
both will answer any question you have on ALPHA.they tested alpha bigtime.
both very good reviews.
sportdog tek 1.0 is on sale from 699 to 499 now.
somewhat like alpha.
but in my opinion ,no where as good on things alpha does like 3 inch screen and touch screen etc.

best collar out thee, tt 500.

if you get the alpha get the anti glare screen savers for 7.99.have friend who scratched his alpha screen already. :roll:

dont feel bad on throwing money at bad collar etc.WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE. i know guys that paid 1,000 for hunting dog and dog bites and some gave dogs away.
then 700 in vet bills. on it goes.

i bought a 2,000 dollar tv that went bad after warranty was off.took it too repair and will cost 650 dollars to fix.
threw it in trash.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 am

I run a dogtra collar on my dogs with a tracker. Cant remember ever having to program, download, or even losing a dog with one. Maybe the proven track would provide an easier and cheaper avenue. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Eric1542

Post by Eric1542 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 am

Cabela's has a sale right now where you get 10X points for any purchase of dog training collars. I just bought a Tritronics G3 Sport Combo for $269 and got $67.25 in points to use on something else later.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 am

As far as e-collars ar concerned, I have used a TT Flyway Special for more years than I want to admit. It has both momentary and continuous stim byut does not have a tone feature. I have never needed more in an electronic collar and it is less money than the 500.

I have an Astro 220 with a DC 30 collar. I am perfectly happy with the performance of this unit also. If the collar crapped out i would probably replace it with a DC 40 but as long as it is working, I'm good with what I have.

You could also find a used Tracker system for not a lot of money on e-bay or whatever. It ain't as sexy as a Garmin Astro, but it WILL tell you where your dog is...and it has a FAR bigger range than the Astro, like 7-12 miles ifor the tracker instead of 1-1.5 miles for the Astro, even with the extended range antenna.

The radio telelmetry type collar wil also last for multiple days with fresh batteries(some as long as 4000 hours) so if your dog takes off after deer and is gone overnight, or longer, you CAN still get a signal.. from a loooong way off...longer if you are using a Yagi antenna. The Astro collar, with a full charge and a 5 sec refresh rate won't last 24 hours and as i said, the max range is under 2 miles.

Depends on what you need and what you want.

RayG

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm

topher40 wrote:I run a dogtra collar on my dogs with a tracker. Cant remember ever having to program, download, or even losing a dog with one. Maybe the proven track would provide an easier and cheaper avenue. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

dogtra/ttronics are very good collars

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:16 pm

I won a Alpha collar at the V C and it is a great piece. Just ordered a second collar to go with it. Big time piece of mind while hunting in the U P .

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Dogtra 2500 (has built in remote beeper) If the garmin is out of your budget at the moment. Great for locating a dog in tall grass and timber.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 pm

I used a SD-800 for the first year of training. The best thing I ever did was throw the SD away and get a TT pro 100 and astro 320/DC40 for the second year.

Rockett

Post by Rockett » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:08 am

What a shame. Hope that doesn't happen to us in a few years. I'm loving my sd1825!

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 am

RayGubernat wrote:As far as e-collars ar concerned, I have used a TT Flyway Special for more years than I want to admit. It has both momentary and continuous stim byut does not have a tone feature. I have never needed more in an electronic collar and it is less money than the 500.

I have an Astro 220 with a DC 30 collar. I am perfectly happy with the performance of this unit also. If the collar crapped out i would probably replace it with a DC 40 but as long as it is working, I'm good with what I have.

You could also find a used Tracker system for not a lot of money on e-bay or whatever. It ain't as sexy as a Garmin Astro, but it WILL tell you where your dog is...and it has a FAR bigger range than the Astro, like 7-12 miles ifor the tracker instead of 1-1.5 miles for the Astro, even with the extended range antenna.

The radio telelmetry type collar wil also last for multiple days with fresh batteries(some as long as 4000 hours) so if your dog takes off after deer and is gone overnight, or longer, you CAN still get a signal.. from a loooong way off...longer if you are using a Yagi antenna. The Astro collar, with a full charge and a 5 sec refresh rate won't last 24 hours and as i said, the max range is under 2 miles.

RayG
^THAT^
Go on ebay, or if you have an LL BEANS Outlet close by, they have/had all of their hunting hunting stuff on sale at 50% off and get the 220 w/ the DC 40 collar for around $300. and then buy a TT 100, 200 or 500; UNLESS you prefer the advantages of battery life associated with a Trakker.
I use the Trakker in Trials, but just bought the Astro 220 w/ DC40 for Grouse hunting. The Astro is a game changer to an Appalachian (any)Grouse hunter, plain and simple. In Trials, I prefer the extended battery life and security that even a day later, 2 days later, I'll still be able to pick up a signal on the Trakker and I don't necessarily need the GPS functions and topos. For Grousin though, the ability to look at the topos, see distance to your dog on point and go right to them can be a Godsend to getting to my dog standing a skittish Grouse as quickly as possible. As soon as I got my Astro, I used it for 3 days in the NH north woods, a lot in and along Alder runs and to say it made it stupid easy to get to my dog would be an understatement. The only thing it didn't do was cut me a path LOL! The 220/DC40 may not be the latest and greatest, but it works absolutely fine for everything I need for hunting and offers a lot of nifty function for the $$$$. The lower price of the 220 will still allow you to buy a top of the line TT e-collar and you can place the e-collar receiver on the same strap as the Astro, so you can still narrow it down to just 1 collar on your dog, unless you also choose to use a reflective collar of course.

Now if you need something for Trials, I still prefer the Trakker, but for Grousin about, it will be the Astro from now on for me.
Just my wooden nickel's worth ;-)
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:07 am

i have the TT pro 100 and an astro 220 with DC 30 and DC40 collars. a lot of flexibility with this setup.
Take Care
Pete

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:58 am

I don't need the latest and greatest either. I don't like to read directions and don't care for technology other than my phone. I need to locate a dog on point in thick cover that's it. Does the 220 and dc 30 tell me if the dog is on point? If so is it an audible alert? The prices on them are getting lower and why spend the money on features I'm not gonna learn or care to use.
Thanks for the help

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 am

gotpointers wrote:I don't need the latest and greatest either. I don't like to read directions and don't care for technology other than my phone. I need to locate a dog on point in thick cover that's it. Does the 220 and dc 30 tell me if the dog is on point? If so is it an audible alert? The prices on them are getting lower and why spend the money on features I'm not gonna learn or care to use.
Thanks for the help

Yes and yes.....to your two questions.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks!!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:08 pm

RayGubernat wrote:As far as e-collars ar concerned, I have used a TT Flyway Special for more years than I want to admit. It has both momentary and continuous stim byut does not have a tone feature. I have never needed more in an electronic collar and it is less money than the 500.

Ray,

As I ubderstand it, both telemetery (Tracker, WLM, etc) and GPS communicate from collar to the handheld via RF, meaning if the antennae are the same size,length you will get the same range. I once kept a signal for 13 + miles before I got bored and turned the truck arround and came home with the handheld long distance antenna and have heard reports of 20 + miles with the car top model.

You are right on about battery life.

RayG