Chesapeake Lines

Gertie

Chesapeake Lines

Post by Gertie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm

We are considering getting a chessie but have heard they can be a bit "unfriendly". I'm wondering if anyone knows of any chessie breeders who have a reputation for producing good hunting dogs that also have good dispositions?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Chesapeake Lines

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:24 pm

That trait has been bred out of alot of the current chessie lines being bred by reputable breeders. That said if your worried about that, why not a Labrador...
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm

My brother owns a Chessie and he is protective! I like that alot in a dog, a guy tried to come in their house once and his wife put the dog on him, if he owned a lab the guy would have been licked to death. Smart as a whip, retrieves all the birds our pointers cant find, and a great pheasant dog. There is a guy in Quebec that sends dogs all over NA, i will see if i can dig him up for you.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Pond Hollow and spinaker(Spinakerridge cheasapeakes) both have great lines with wonderful temperments. My friend put pictures of her chessie's on her new website http://www.ironstonecbrs.com
PM me if you would like more information.

carla

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 pm

I would do my homework , i know two people with this breed and these two dogs are the only ones i have ever been scared of.Had another friend with one 15 years ago and a great dog he was.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:14 am

There are a lot of misconceptions in my opinion about the breed. Chessies were bred to protect the market hunters boats, decoys etc while he took his ducks to market. They consider anything that you own as theirs and worthy of protection. My question is why would ANYONE want to breed this wonderful trait out of them for a dog with the temperment of a lab. If you want a lab then go buy a lab. Labs are great dogs. Have owned many. Have a wonderful one now.

Now, the misconceptions of the breed. They are NOT mean. Period end of story. They require socialization, more so than most other breeds. They are NOT hard headed. They are very intelligent dogs. When they "get" something they have it. No need to beat it into them over and over. To train one you have to out smart them so to speak. They have wonderful dispositions. Do they have a different dispostion than a lab? Yes they do. BUT, that's what makes them a Chesapeake! If you don't like it then don't get one and certainly don't breed this out of them! Their entire make up is what "makes" them a Chessie!

Wonderful dogs and if I were to buy one (and I have owned many) I would NOT buy one that has had the wonderful traits that makes up a Chessie bred out of them.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for the replies. We still need to do some homework but to answer the question 'why not a lab?' we just like the look and serious demeanor of the chessies. Also like the idea of having a protective dog just don't want an aggressi e dog that we have to worry about biting nieces/nephews. Seems to be a fine line there but we're willing to work on socialization if this is the route we go. Still a ways out from a decision but thanks again for the input.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 am

I have not seen any Chessies among my client dogs that I would consider bombproof around kids they did not know. They are not a casual breed and can do some real damage. At retriever events, you can always tell the trainers that do Chessies by the missing fingertips. :)

Unless you are dead set against black, have you considered a flatcoat?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:03 am

Gertie wrote:Thanks for the replies. We still need to do some homework but to answer the question 'why not a lab?' we just like the look and serious demeanor of the chessies. Also like the idea of having a protective dog just don't want an aggressi e dog that we have to worry about biting nieces/nephews. Seems to be a fine line there but we're willing to work on socialization if this is the route we go. Still a ways out from a decision but thanks again for the input.
I'd invite you to try and enter my home or truck without me around, or lay hands on a member of his inner circle..... :lol: Labs can be protective, trick is you never see it until they need to use it.

That said alot of labs aren't protective, that is true. I have seen a mess of "protective" chessies that got mean as they got older and could not really
be trusted around kids, (not my kinda dog at all). Then you will hear labs aren't as tough as Chessie dogs hunting, I call BS on that one too, in general. All dogs are individuals, you could end up with a whimpy Chessie too.

and then there's the old chessies can take colder water.....another misnomer.....its more about individuals than breed.

My buddy just got a new chessie from a lady down in Tn, dog is as sweet as any lab, not a mean bone or protective bone in its body. Individuals. I personally don't know how you separate aggressive from protective, they are basically one in the same and both can possibly cause you trouble.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Socialization is not a sure thing with Chessies. Ours went to every fair, sportshow, kids event, elementary school, home depot, puppy socialization and dog obedience classes for the first two years of her life. She started her first day with us at the Relay for Life event in our community. She was as socialized as I can imagine any dog being. When she hit maturity at about 3, she became increasingly more difficult to have around other dogs and kids. She absolutely cannot be trusted around kids at this point - she has attempted to bite on two occassions - neither of which I would have termed the "kids' fault." She can't be left alone with other female dogs or with young dogs - she will attack and cause damage.

She is the best duck dog we've had - she can handle really severe conditions and she's a heck of an upland hunter. She is also a one-man dog and I don't ever think I'd have to worry about someone breaking in to our home with her inside. I'm sure there are chessie's that have good temperaments - but like most have said, they're not a lab.

A trainer that I've met working on quail habitat projects gave me a few bad Chessie stories - said they might start out good but they can get really unpredictable. He says he hates to train them, since he has seen many of them cause problems. I don't know how true that is, but it did happen with our dog. If you get one, just be very particular about the breeding. If there are some lines that have good temperaments - be sure to do your research and ask questions of the owners of the dogs - and make sure to ask about dogs that are 4+ years old - not young dogs.

IMO - protective is aggressive. Chessies were bred to be protective - they do what they were bred to do - protect the day's haul.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:55 am

Growing up i hunted around a chessie. He had a mean streak in him that was un godly. Saw him kill a few dogs, dozens of cats, porkys, and any other small animal that he could get his teeth into. Never once did i see him show any sort of aggression towards people, besides him barking when you drove up. We were young kids when they got him as a pup. He was 150lbs of pure hunting, anything that moved would fall prey to him. He took a weird liking to my female lab pup, he wouldnt let any other dogs near her; that is when we found out he would kill another dog and nobody could stop him. Everybody that hunted with him loved him, he was never mean towards people, and his wife and kids could go out at night with him and never have to worry about anything. For me, a few dead cats are worth peace of mind when i am not around. O and to the people that say labs arent protective, i very strongly disagree.

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Gertie wrote:We are considering getting a chessie but have heard they can be a bit "unfriendly". I'm wondering if anyone knows of any chessie breeders who have a reputation for producing good hunting dogs that also have good dispositions?
Hi Gertie :D I've owned and bred CBRs for over 20 years. I am also very active with our breed club and have fostered/placed many homeless/unwanted CBRs through breed rescue for 15 years. I will be the first to admit CBRs are not the breed for everyone, however, it never fails when someone mentions CBRs on a site like this the breed bashers come out :roll:

I highly suggest you and your family read this link: http://www.cbrrescue.org/articles/dontbuy.htm I send this link to all my prospective puppy buyers who think they want to own a CBR...nine times out of ten I never hear back from them LMAO

I also suggest you go to this site and ask questions: http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/groupee/forums Team Chesapeake has been around for years and has members who have owned/mentored the breed for years as well!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Not everyone who's had bad experiences around (more than a few) chesapeakes is a basher just like not everyone who doesn't agree with Obama is a racist.

There have been and continue to be some temperament problems in some lines of chesapeakes......as i mentioned in my post above, alot of reputable breeders have paid attention to the situation and brought some good practices to making CBR's more uniform with better temperaments. Facts are facts.I have lived on the Chesapeake Bay my whole life and have been around a ton of Bay dogs (100's from all different lines).....Times are changing for the CBR's and for the better, but it is always worth mentioning, so someone isn't blind sided when they make a decision to own one. Seek out the good breeders by doing due diligence and talking to alot of folks that aren't trying to sell you something, just common sense.

BTW i just hunted waterfowl this morning with 2 CBR's , one of which can no longer be around children because of aggression issues, if you want one by all means get one, just do it with due diligence.....

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:23 pm

My husband used to FT Chessies back in the late 70's very early 80's. Howie likes the breed. They were great with his children and all kids. Good with people when Howie was around. You didn't dare entry his home with out Howie unless the dogs knew you . It's nice to leave your home unlocked and never worry. If a Chessie has his hackles up don't challenge the dog. Check with the American Chesapeake Club you'll find what you are looking for. Far from mean , but believe in protecting there own.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Deke thats a great post as are others.

I have to laugh though about your lab being protective. Not that I don't think it is protective or anything. I laugh because my lab is just the opposite. If she was in my truck and someone came to steal the radio out of it she would probably drown the dude with dog slobber from licking him to death, either that or she would be the lookout for the police! She has never met a stranger which I am perfectly OK with! Sometimes it's just nice to know that I can put a dog in my truck and feel that my truck is somewhat secure LOL. Not with her though. She would invite everyone in and have a party!

deke

Post by deke » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:47 pm

duckn I know what you mean, my black dog is the same way, never even heard him bark until I tipped over the chair he was sleeping in and scared him.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:10 pm

A friend has a Nice MH female CBR just got her Show CH last few weeks that i would be happy to be on the puppy list...She and her pups have a nice temperament....

I believe she if from Pondhollowchesapeakes.com

I just don't like a dog that treats everyone who rides up or knocks on the door as a threat, even if its only initially. To each their own I guess on that one.....

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Montana

Post by Montana » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:01 am

Westwind, Nordais, Cursan, Caroway, Beartown to name a few.... Keep in mind that the Chessie gene pool is very small, especially so if you are looking at Field Lines. Look at any pedigree from any of the breeders I've listed and you'll find many of the same dogs showing up. Personally, I prefer males. I'm guessing I might be in the minority, but I find them easier to work with, more stable temperamentwise, etc. There's a reason they call females Bit*hes...

Here's the Chessie database, if you haven't already found it. It lists something like 33,000 Chessies with photos, pedigrees, who the owner is, the breeder, etc.... Not on all of the dogs, but on many of them.

http://chessiedb.org/

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:19 am

That data base isn't any kind of official record then?? Says anyone can add a dog at any time. So, By looking through it I can see that none of my Chessies are on on it. I would have had to of added them myself.

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 am

duckn66 wrote:That data base isn't any kind of official record then?? Says anyone can add a dog at any time. So, By looking through it I can see that none of my Chessies are on on it. I would have had to of added them myself.
You are correct...it isn't "offical". Some time ago Chessie DB was updated by the owner but no longer is. Other then AKC, this site is the next best thing to "official": http://www.chessieinfo.net/ Lisa updates her web site from the AKC Stud dog books....

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 am

birddog1968 wrote:I believe she if from Pondhollowchesapeakes.com

I just don't like a dog that treats everyone who rides up or knocks on the door as a threat, even if its only initially. To each their own I guess on that one.....
The dog on my avatar is a Grand Daughter out of a Pond Hollow dog I owned...Dyane Baldwin (Pond Hollow) is not only a wonderful breeder but excellent breed mentor.

I totally agree with you. I will not own a CBR that considers others a threat in any circumstance...it's called liability and who needs additional liability in todays world!

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 pm

The dog in your avatar looks a lot like my last Chessie. Very good looking dog!

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:30 pm

My friend Skye's dog Sapphire is from Dyane. She has helped Skye a lot. She's really nice and a good hunter. Has both majors and now only needs those last finishing points. She also has a male from Kim at Spinaker Ridge who is my snuggle bug at shows and hunts like a wild man. Both Zilla and his littermates have great personalities.
Carla

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 pm

I do,
I take my personal safety, and that of my family, very seriously. We all carry concealed as well. All the time, 24/7
A victim, I wont be.
A good dog is one layer of any sound personal safety program/arsenal.
I know my dogs limitations, same with my guns and act /plan accordingly. If stranger kids come over and dog isnt good with them (Like my last GSP and GSD), dog gets crated or penned, problem solved, When they leave, dog comes back in.. its not rocket science.. that said, the Chessies Ive seen were great family dogs, and very protective of their yards anfamily, as they were BRED To be.

Susie wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:
I totally agree with you. I will not own a CBR that considers others a threat in any circumstance...it's called liability and who needs additional liability in todays world!
So Any unannounced stranger in your house is welcome by your dog and aggression is punished???!!

I Think the Protectiveness is WHY people gravitate TO a CBR, a Weim or DD.
If I wanted a dog to lick every stranger, Id get a Golden, Setter or Lab. But Some of us actualy like and Want a Protective dog!!

And for the uniformed, there is a big difference between unwarranted aggression vs protectiveness.
Aggression, unwarranted, is a liability. For some occasioans/installations, like guarding commercial property, its good, for neighborhood guarding, it can be bad.
If a dog cant determine what is and what is not a threat, its a potential liability ie Kids and frequent guests like extended family that it might hurt if their space is invaded.

Protectiveness, on the other hand, means an intruder or stranger or someone the dog gets a bad vibe from, and will back up its display of aggression with their life, but will reliably discern friend from foe, and not harm children, in fact, is totally reliable and very protective of them.

I dont want someone messing near my truck, my home or my family if Im not there, and like this from a dog. Its why we have Working and guardian breeds.
I Owned GSDs for decades and never had them bite someone who didnt deserve it and it only happened once. Dogs were all very trustworthy and judges of character.
Lastly, I dont want a dog stolen of a chain either. Good luck trying that with my dog.
'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 pm

no...I want a dog to react to a problem not make one with the local girl scouts selling cookies......

I really don't need a dog to protect me, I can do that myself. I don't need a liability i need to worry about constantly, thats what i was saying.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:11 pm

birddog1968 wrote:no...I want a dog to react to a problem not make one with the local girl scouts selling cookies.......
Ive never had a dog (All Protection Trained) ever make problems with Girl scouts. Nor do others I know and train with.
Good training and good genetics and some common sense go along way.
That said, itss a home invader that does worry me for my family, and a TRAINED dog is a great deterrant and threat defuser.
If girlscouts knock, dog quickly settles or I command 'Say Hi' and its all kisses.

I really don't need a dog to protect me, I can do that myself. I don't need a liability i need to worry about constantly, thats what i was saying.
Lots of 'toughguys' are in graveyards. I knew some.

I never worry one on one, I worry 3 on 1, or 5 on 1. Thats different odds. Or when Im asleep.
And you like everyone else, will lose that battle.

I collect rents in some of the worst places in America.
Guns dont scare these people, dogs do, and why I have one with me at all times, commanded to protect me but also will act instinctively if necessary.
A good personal protection dog thats well trianed is a tremendous protection tool and neednt be a liability.
Youre confusing a dangerous dog with a well trained one.

CBRs like other strong and powerful dogs, need training. They can be what you want them to be.
I prefer a protective dog by nature and will hone its instincts to what I wish to protect me and mine.
'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:31 pm

A good example of what I like and demand in Protection Dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8GwzsNbZkU

Think your wife is safe walking this dog at night? Course shes got a 38 snub on her too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5osw4ynoUI
-Slistoe 12-26-12