? about my GSP's heat cycle

Crl

? about my GSP's heat cycle

Post by Crl » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:10 pm

I have a two and one half year old GSP bitch that has been right on 25 weeks between cycles. She is now at 26 weeks. Do bitches sometimes skp cycles or can the cycle change. I have been keeping her with another bitch that I have that is in right now trying to stimulate her to start. I am planning on breeding the 2 and a half year old as soon as she comes in. Any info would be appreciated.

crl

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:14 pm

Sometimes a lack of body fat for bitches that train hard delay their heat cycles similar to female athletes.

Will

Hotpepper

Heat

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:18 pm

My girl only comes in once a year, regardless. Have to start watching her and she will only swell a bit at the onset and then balloon up. Never any indication such as bleeding, she just comes in.

Ovulates very late as well, day 17 the last three times.

Just have to work at it. My girl's mood will also change as well.

Great producer and mother though.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:37 pm

they sometime change with age. and although we usually say every six months, have had dogs the cycle every 7 or 8 months too. if you take a bitch that is close to her season, say 5 months, and put her with a bitch that goes into heat, you will often see the 5 month bitch go into heat early. it seems like if one goes, they all go. sometimes introducing a male of breeding age into the mix where there has not been a male before can trigger a heat cycle. some will even skip a cycle and resume. have a brother whose female cycles like peppers, once a year.

and of course, if you want to trigger an early fall heat cycle, all you have to do is to get the DNR to open the season early, then of course your hunting female will cycle just in time for the opener, that one never fails.

bottom line is, some are like clockwork. but most vary from year to year and cycle to cycle.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Sometimes a lack of body fat for bitches that train hard delay their heat cycles similar to female athletes.
That's not it. Abbie is carrying the most weight I have ever seen her carry, not fat, but not rock hard field shape either.

Good luck Clark.

I'll call you next week when I figure when I'm going to Chad's.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:19 pm

[quote="Wagonmaster"]and of course, if you want to trigger an early fall heat cycle, all you have to do is to get the DNR to open the season early, then of course your quote]

Yours too eh. Seemed with bailey I could go all partridge season without a heat but the dqy pheasants kicked in she wwnt into heat.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:29 pm

of course, the number one reason for failure to come into estrus is......

pregnancy!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

sorry, couldnt resist.