survey

larue

survey

Post by larue » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 am

Tell us if you have tested your gsp for lupoid dermitisos,or for the gene that produces pointer colors,and if you would be willing share the results and dogs name.
I have tested eva,Foxgloves fire and ice,clear for ld,never tested for color gene.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: survey

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 am

When they started testing for LD it was supposed to be free,I sent in 6 sets of swabs for all the dogs I planned on using in my breeding program.I never heard a word about any of them.

Like I have said before people just don't want to hear the truth.Not much sense in me posting because the truth gets deleted!!
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 pm

I have dogs from known LD and e lines. To answer your questions, no, no and no.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Ch Honey Run's Shifting Gears MH was LD tested results were -Normal

I have not tested the others yet nor have I done any of the color testing.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Haven't done any test, but plan to.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:38 pm

When Kattie T. started this quest for LD, and very thankful she did. I had all my breeding dogs tested and all were negative.

With 13+ litters, we have never had pink noses, or off colored pups, HD, etc.

I think most responsible breeders that only breed with the improvement of the dog in mind have these results.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

survey

Post by ACooper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I have dogs from known LD and e lines. To answer your questions, no, no and no.
I'm surprised you would be unwilling share.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 pm

ACooper wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:I have dogs from known LD and e lines. To answer your questions, no, no and no.
I took it as she hasn't tested for either so she can't share. Maybe i misunderstood.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:02 pm

I tested my female because I plan on breeding her to an LD positive male and did not want to have infected pups. She is clean.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

survey

Post by ACooper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm

brad27 wrote:
ACooper wrote:
I took it as she hasn't tested for either so she can't share. Maybe i misunderstood.
I read it as if she had she wouldnt be willing to share. It just surprises me, maybe I misread. She will let me know. I'm not picking and Casey knows that I'm just genuinely surprised.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:14 pm

brad27 wrote:
ACooper wrote:
Well, sort if. Actually, I would have no problem having the information, regardless of results, listed on a database, but neither Penn nor UC Davis offer it for the respective diseases. Without at least a couple of generations of ID DNA and a certified pedigree, the information is anecdotal at best. Since I would take anyone else's posting results with a grain of salt, I would expect the same skepticism.

I think it would be of great benefit if the pedigrees and results were available for review. If I do test and anyone wanted to know, I'd have no problem sharing the information.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Jill has been tested for LD, she is clean or normal is what the test result came back as. Her peds in my signature.

Ted,
I had some problems when I sent my results in the first time as well, they came back as unreadable, I took that as I screwed up the swabs or contaminated them. Had to order new Kits to do Jills.

Dennis is the e-locus test a swab or blood drawn test?
Have not done the e gene but I think I will for shitz n gigglz. Im pretty sure there is no problem there, but I will do it.
Thanks

She's also been Dna'd and Ofa'd as well....

Elkhunter I would test for the e gene. If her ped is correct. And just FWIW, I have no problem with someone breeding a non carrier to a positive carrier, IF IF, all the pups are tested and owners made aware of it, and handled correctly.
And I say that only in the sense that the breeding was very very strong in what I wanted to carry forward with the pups....
I will also add that I think all pups in every litter carried forward should be Dna'd. It would add validity to some breedings.. :wink:
JMO Of Course...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:26 pm

We tested our entire kennel when the research was being done....I have since heard pretty big questions about how accurate the test results are...Anyone have any input on this?
brenda

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:58 pm

snips wrote:We tested our entire kennel when the research was being done....I have since heard pretty big questions about how accurate the test results are...Anyone have any input on this?
I know they don't have a definite gene and that the disease may be an aggregate condition. I go by pedigree and anecdotal information, but that is a huge maybe.
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Brenda,
There are some auto immune deficiencies involved as welll.
It's not just a clear cut case as to LD.
So not all tests are 100%.
Last edited by lvrgsp on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm

I know I have different feelings about all these tests then most of the members here but I treat my dogs like I treat myself,I don't like Drs & don't trust them,seen too many mistakes etc.From the time I got out of High School untill I was 46 /47 yrs old I never went to a Dr & was NEVER SICK,once I started seeing them I have been sick eversince with some kind of their illness.It statrted with high blood pressure & goes on from there.I have nerve damage in my legs can't hardly walk anylonger have drop foot which causese you to trip over everything because you drag your toes.I have read that HB pressure & colesterol meds can cause nerve damage so who's to say the meds I was put on for those didn't cause my problems.I might be dead if not put on those meds but I would rather be dead then not be able to enjoy all the things I can no longer do.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:01 pm

We are talking about genetic diseases that lower the dogs' quality of life (except for the color dilution), not treatable conditions.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Yes we are & if a dog has those conditions they should be put down instead of suffer yet we would have some of those same people hollering & screaming about it but yet others would put down the orange & white dogs because of their color.& if your talking about my condition it's NOT TREATABLE!! It is what it is.I'm from the old school I don't run to Drs everytime I sniffle or don't feel good that's me & my dogs live to a ripe old age for working dogs so I must not be doing TOO BAD a job at taking care of them myself.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 pm

We had our dogs all tested for LD when they were establishing the marker...Volunteer stuff....
brenda

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:27 pm

So did I Brenda 5 or 6 dogs & NEVER HEARD a word good or bad guess my dogs weren't worth worrying about.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:06 pm

I had to call them a couple of years later when I got to wondering about the results. Pretty slip shod if u ask me.
brenda

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:29 pm

What bothers me about LD is how it was a total witch hunt on Rexx and the Rusty line in general, but we don't have a definitive description of the disease. It is too cruel to breed for study cases, IMO, and there are so many facets to the disease itself that have yet to be explained.

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Who preforms the test and where is it done?

Thanks
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:44 pm

You really don't want to know what I think of the whole sherade. :roll:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:49 pm

TRoberts wrote:Who preforms the test and where is it done?

Thanks
University of Pennsylvania.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:21 pm

lvrgsp wrote:Jill has been tested for LD, she is clean or normal is what the test result came back as. Her peds in my signature.

Ted,
I had some problems when I sent my results in the first time as well, they came back as unreadable, I took that as I screwed up the swabs or contaminated them. Had to order new Kits to do Jills.

Dennis is the e-locus test a swab or blood drawn test?
Have not done the e gene but I think I will for shitz n gigglz. Im pretty sure there is no problem there, but I will do it.
Thanks

She's also been Dna'd and Ofa'd as well....

Elkhunter I would test for the e gene. If her ped is correct. And just FWIW, I have no problem with someone breeding a non carrier to a positive carrier, IF IF, all the pups are tested and owners made aware of it, and handled correctly.
And I say that only in the sense that the breeding was very very strong in what I wanted to carry forward with the pups....
I will also add that I think all pups in every litter carried forward should be Dna'd. It would add validity to some breedings.. :wink:
JMO Of Course...
For sure! Already had all that lined up before the bad news that it did not take.

larue

Post by larue » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:18 am

I received a letter stating that eva was clear or normal from pen state vet,no data on how accurate it .
So now there is a question on how accurate the test is,and because of that question why bother to test.
Sorry to say this,but that sounds like an excuse.
I had hoped to see some big names in this post,but as i expected the people who have tested are mostly smaller run operations,or a guy with 2 dogs.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:57 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
snips wrote:We tested our entire kennel when the research was being done....I have since heard pretty big questions about how accurate the test results are...Anyone have any input on this?
I know they don't have a definite gene and that the disease may be an aggregate condition. I go by pedigree and anecdotal information, but that is a huge maybe.
This is not an accurate statement Cajun. They do in fact now have the Gene isolated according to Dr. Casall and a paper of the findings is promised/expected to be published for peer review, though as of yet, it has not been. Much of the early testing, such as Brenda's, was utilizing a marker test.

As to the accuracy of the test, ever since the NSS 2 years ago(?) when quite a large percentage of Conformation dogs tested as Carriers, the Show side(I strongly dislike this term, but for lack of better wording) has been on a witch hunt to discredit the Test. There has been exactly ONE; read it, ONE; case where there was questionable results and upon re-doing the Test several times to include a final test utilizing blood instead of a swab, the dog was found to be Clear. Questions have arisen over the methods used for Gene Amplification for the test and the effects that may have been had on accuracy.

The GSPCA Health and Welfare Committee is not prepared to take a stance "for", or "against" the test as of yet; as the promised peer reviewed paper needs to be seen, questions answered and a potential "Blind Test" completed.

My personal opinion is FOR NOW, I think it a worthwhile test and until proven inaccurate, should be considered. Is it expensive? Yes, but by supporting UofP efforts, the test will not get any more expensive. If we as a Breed continue to knock the research, alienate the researchers, intimidate those involved, etc...., the test will end up being turned over to Optigen, where you can bet that the cost of the test will go up 3-4 fold.

Cajun, I have gathered from your post here over the past that you have quite a pedigree database and do quite a bit of research. I'd like to talk to you privately about what pedigree's you tend to be wary of in regards to LD. I have an anecdotal observation I'd like to discuss. PM me your phone number, or I could PM you mine.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:23 am

I have a hard time believing a disease with renal, hepatic and epithelial expression is controlled by a single gene. GSPCA handed out a chunk of change on that ACORN and I think they deserve a decent return on behalf of their members.