dog training schools/seminars

Post Reply
User avatar
ibbowhunting
Rank: Champion
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

dog training schools/seminars

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:28 pm

well i'm really thinking of attending a training school and or some seminars i looked into george hickox 4 day training school costs around a $1000 dollars before lost time at work, travel and lodgeing, still considering it, has anyone attend this course? i also plan to join mnnavha group and plan to attend a couple of there training weekends i'd love to attend there weekly training days this summer, but i just live to far from there training grounds.is there any in your opinion seminars or training schools that are in the minnesota area that i should be looking into or attending for a guy training his first pointing dog?

madmurph
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by madmurph » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 pm

The Hickox and Smith seminars are great (and a little spendy). But to get your feet wet and save a few bucks, consider a seminar by Bruce Minard of Hi Five Kennels. He does a good 2 day at Fireside Setters next door to you in Wisconsin for under $200 every June. Bruce is an experienced, full time trainer and very successful Cover Dog trialer. Mary Beth is a great host and you can camp on her grounds or she allows a limited number of people to stay at her place. She is a great host (and cook) and has a phenominal place and grounds. Bruce does a great job with the seminar with much focus on the young dogs and new owners/trainers/handlers with alot of hands on. I think you would be very pleased.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

Meller
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Missouri

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by Meller » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:04 am

I would look into something with Maurice Lindly or David Jones aka(Jonesy) on here; and see what they have sceduled this year. :)

V-John
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 8:28 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by V-John » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:56 am

Meller wrote:I would look into something with Maurice Lindly or David Jones aka(Jonesy) on here; and see what they have sceduled this year. :)
This. Highly recommend either guy and they are both very reasonably priced.

User avatar
ibbowhunting
Rank: Champion
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Meller wrote:I would look into something with Maurice Lindly or David Jones aka(Jonesy) on here; and see what they have sceduled this year. :)
do you know were i could find a schedule i look at both there web sites no schedule

V-John
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 8:28 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by V-John » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 am

ibbowhunting wrote:
Meller wrote:I would look into something with Maurice Lindly or David Jones aka(Jonesy) on here; and see what they have sceduled this year. :)
do you know were i could find a schedule i look at both there web sites no schedule
I'll shoot them both a message and see what I can come up with.

User avatar
RoostersMom
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1755
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm
Location: North Central Missouri

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Perfection Kennel seminars wouldn't be too far (north Missouri).

User avatar
Chukar12
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:01 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:well i'm really thinking of attending a training school and or some seminars i looked into george hickox 4 day training school costs around a $1000 dollars before lost time at work, travel and lodgeing, still considering it, has anyone attend this course? i also plan to join mnnavha group and plan to attend a couple of there training weekends i'd love to attend there weekly training days this summer, but i just live to far from there training grounds.is there any in your opinion seminars or training schools that are in the minnesota area that i should be looking into or attending for a guy training his first pointing dog?
I have attended the Hickox, Smith, Dobbs and some local seminars including some that were based on the Bill West thought process. I really feel like I took something from each one...but I also really wanted to, for someone pretty close minded in too many other areas dog training is one where I tend to listen. For me, the Hickox seminar may have been the most beneficial...if for no other reason than the thoughts on animal behavior were similar to mine. He will base the methods on the premise that dogs learn by association and repetition and makes it abundantly clear that dogs are there to make it the most advantageous they can for themselves and that they aren't trying to please you for the sake of pleasing you...they please you because it gets them the response they want. Having said that, I went with a hard core Chukar hunting friend who is not fascinated by dog training...he wants a trained dog to hunt with. He did not get as much out of the seminar. It is a pretty expensive way to go and well worth the money if you are real serious about learning his methods.

What does seem to work with him are the West methods and this is what you will get from Mo and Jonesy...their followers are almost cult like, and in my opinion the methods are the easiest for the average trainer and you can add as much polish as you want with experience through the years. FWIW

Joe

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
ibbowhunting wrote:well i'm really thinking of attending a training school and or some seminars i looked into george hickox 4 day training school costs around a $1000 dollars before lost time at work, travel and lodgeing, still considering it, has anyone attend this course? i also plan to join mnnavha group and plan to attend a couple of there training weekends i'd love to attend there weekly training days this summer, but i just live to far from there training grounds.is there any in your opinion seminars or training schools that are in the minnesota area that i should be looking into or attending for a guy training his first pointing dog?
I have attended the Hickox, Smith, Dobbs and some local seminars including some that were based on the Bill West thought process. I really feel like I took something from each one...but I also really wanted to, for someone pretty close minded in too many other areas dog training is one where I tend to listen. For me, the Hickox seminar may have been the most beneficial...if for no other reason than the thoughts on animal behavior were similar to mine. He will base the methods on the premise that dogs learn by association and repetition and makes it abundantly clear that dogs are there to make it the most advantageous they can for themselves and that they aren't trying to please you for the sake of pleasing you...they please you because it gets them the response they want. Having said that, I went with a hard core Chukar hunting friend who is not fascinated by dog training...he wants a trained dog to hunt with. He did not get as much out of the seminar. It is a pretty expensive way to go and well worth the money if you are real serious about learning his methods.

What does seem to work with him are the West methods and this is what you will get from Mo and Jonesy...their followers are almost cult like, and in my opinion the methods are the easiest for the average trainer and you can add as much polish as you want with experience through the years. FWIW

Joe
Agreed

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

V-John
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 8:28 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by V-John » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Www.pineyrunkennel.com

This is where Mo runs his seminar. He doesnt like to travel much, so he does this one yearly. Jonesy used to travel more but with a little one around I think he likes to stick closer to home. :)

User avatar
CHJIII
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Richland, Mo.

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by CHJIII » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Jonesy on here is Tailcracken

User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 7845
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Ronnie Smith has full out training program that goes well beyond just a weekend seminar...
http://www.ronniesmithkennels.com/apprenticeships.htm
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:30 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Ronnie Smith has full out training program that goes well beyond just a weekend seminar...
http://www.ronniesmithkennels.com/apprenticeships.htm
I think that applies to every trainer and their program. The seminar is just one day in school but it takes a year to your diploma. That is why it is important to have someone you can talk to if you hit a snag. And most are available to do just that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 7845
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:Ronnie Smith has full out training program that goes well beyond just a weekend seminar...
http://www.ronniesmithkennels.com/apprenticeships.htm
I think that applies to every trainer and their program. The seminar is just one day in school but it takes a year to your diploma. That is why it is important to have someone you can talk to if you hit a snag. And most are available to do just that.

Ezzy
Ezzy might try looking at the link this is a total of three months not just a weekend seminar. Ronnie has been doing this now for quite some time .
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

User avatar
ibbowhunting
Rank: Champion
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Ronnie Smith has full out training program that goes well beyond just a weekend seminar...
http://www.ronniesmithkennels.com/apprenticeships.htm
i think that would be awesome but just dont think it i could do that in this stage of my life the months away from home and work, only a dream

User avatar
bossman
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: McKinney, Tx

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by bossman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:34 pm

While it may be an added expense, I know that Hickox, the Smiths, Jon & Cindy Hann (Perfection Kennels) and Lindley also offer DVD's. You might want to view a few of these to see which method you might be most comfortable with before you invest in travel and time away from work. Just a thought. Whichever you select, good luck. Your in for a good time.

User avatar
ibbowhunting
Rank: Champion
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm

ok now my pups 16 months old and we are in my mind behind in training 100% my fault, i plan on attend a training seminar or two this summer i keep looking at a hickox training school but just a little nervous that its not money well spent, we've worked on gun into, bird intro, started heel and whoa, some pigeon in traps, ran her first season on wild birds ruffed grouse,sharptail,and woodcock quiet a few contacts, pointed most, then broke and chased, never shot a bird over her,i was waiting until i could get out in front of her,never happened last fall, thats a summary of where we are in training, we need some help mostly getting her steady to wing atleast, than we could hunt this season (starts in 5 months or so) and get some bird in the dogs mouth. are most two - four day seminar step by step,or more about working on what the dogs and owners need help with,in my mind we are not basic beginning nor advanced, just dont want to be out of place

Maurice
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:36 pm
Location: piedmont sc.

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by Maurice » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 pm

I sounds like you have a nice young dog. It does not sound like you are way behind to me. So much of the early training is about letting the dog develop.. I think you have done a good job with that. Pick a method that makes sense to you, learn all you can about it. Then go to work and stick with that program, don't jump from 1 program to another... Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Mo

User avatar
AzDoggin
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:57 pm
Location: AZ desert

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Just an FYI - Mo Lindley moderates a Yahoo group for bird dog trainers: http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/pointingdogs

He is the most accessible of all the trainers because of his participation in this group, and his committment to help "average joe" train his dog, in my opinion. I plan to get to some of Mo's seminars when the time comes.

The book on Mo's methods is by Martha Greenlee: http://www.gundogsupply.com/training-wi ... #gsc.tab=0

V-John
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 8:28 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by V-John » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Mo also has a seminar coming up, as well. Im not sure of availability of course but..... Here is the information.

http://www.pineyrunkennel.com/seminars.htm

User avatar
RoostersMom
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1755
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm
Location: North Central Missouri

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Call Jon Hann at Perfection Kennels and see what he thinks about taking your dog on for the Perfect Finish (steady to wing and shot) 4-day seminar. It's within a days driving distance and you'll get a ton of one-on-one with you and your dog. Plus, you get to see other owners making mistakes so you can learn by that method as well (I always do). They're on facebook too - so you can see some older stuff there.

Clinic at the Kennel Finish/ Start combo April 19 20 21 22 816 649-5207

Clinic at the Kennel Finish/Start combo May 24 25 26 27 816 649 5207


Check out their website at http://www.perfectionkennel.com/testamonials.html

User avatar
ibbowhunting
Rank: Champion
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Call Jon Hann at Perfection Kennels and see what he thinks about taking your dog on for the Perfect Finish (steady to wing and shot) 4-day seminar. It's within a days driving distance and you'll get a ton of one-on-one with you and your dog. Plus, you get to see other owners making mistakes so you can learn by that method as well (I always do). They're on facebook too - so you can see some older stuff there.

Clinic at the Kennel Finish/ Start combo April 19 20 21 22 816 649-5207

Clinic at the Kennel Finish/Start combo May 24 25 26 27 816 649 5207


Check out their website at http://www.perfectionkennel.com/testamonials.html
wow i thought i was a lot futher away only 11hrs its do able

Rustyoar
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm
Location: Western Oregon

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by Rustyoar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:33 am

Hunt Test Training Day - Free to the Public
Public · By Willow Creek Kennels and Hunting



Saturday, April 6, 2013

9:00am in CDT
Chance of Rain 48°F / 18°F
[Description]
April 6th & 13th - Come out and train your dog in hunt test conditions at Willow Creek Kennels in Little Falls, MN. This is a good opportunity to transition your dog to hunt test situations.

It will be relaxed and informal and we will be having a potluck at noon. There are no fees, just pay for your birds. Chuckars will be available for $12 each.
Willow Creek Kennels and Hunting
22545 195th Ave, Little Falls, Minnesota 56345

User avatar
ibbowhunting
Rank: Champion
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Rustyoar wrote:Hunt Test Training Day - Free to the Public
Public · By Willow Creek Kennels and Hunting



Saturday, April 6, 2013

9:00am in CDT
Chance of Rain 48°F / 18°F
[Description]
April 6th & 13th - Come out and train your dog in hunt test conditions at Willow Creek Kennels in Little Falls, MN. This is a good opportunity to transition your dog to hunt test situations.

It will be relaxed and informal and we will be having a potluck at noon. There are no fees, just pay for your birds. Chuckars will be available for $12 each.
Willow Creek Kennels and Hunting
22545 195th Ave, Little Falls, Minnesota 56345

is the same thing happening on both days i cant make the 6th but could make the 13th, is this info post on the net somewhere so i look it up?

Rustyoar
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm
Location: Western Oregon

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by Rustyoar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Face book page....

http://www.facebook.com/events/500844926643522/

You can google their website for contacts if you don't use FB.

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: dog training schools/seminars

Post by cjhills » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:17 am

Rustyoar wrote:Face book page....

http://www.facebook.com/events/500844926643522/

You can google their website for contacts if you don't use FB.
Don't know if this is what you are looking for. Probably not much hands on training. But a chance to run your dog with other dogs on a few birds. It can't hurt. Cj

Post Reply