Could a German shorthaired pointer make it to Ames?

Razor

Re: Could a German shorthaired pointer make it to Ames?

Post by Razor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Wyndancer wrote:
MillerClemsonHD wrote:
Weekend stakes in AF are 1hr. ..........
You should just stop...it's clear, you have no idea what you're talking about.
+1

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:53 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:
JKP wrote:Think a quarter horse will ever win the Derby. Think a thoroughbred will ever win a 150 mile endurance race???

Think a stocker will ever win a Formula 1race?? Greyhounds win the Iditarod?? Pointers finish in large pack hare trials??

Who cares??
+1
If you don't care, why are commenting?

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane Doc. I've been over and run stubbies with the stubby guy your standing next to in this years aaa photo,was in preparation for the sharptail CH a couple years back,looked like acceptable races to me,flinging out and getting with it,dogs were Mike(Hardrock's Mr Destiny) Chrissy and Dash.They could really cover the ground.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for the pics and post Doc.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Scroll down about midway for more about Stitch. I've always wanted to know more about his dam.

http://www.thegreifcorps.blogspot.com/
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Great link casey, my buddy is going to love it his dogs are all of the greif line and most of the older dogs are on his pedigrees,I also hauled think blue and mr millbrad around in the truck one day on the continuous course.I hunted with a daughter of prima banae and beirs evolution, snips actually had that dog,she was the yardstick I judge the gsp by.
Cajun Casey wrote:Scroll down about midway for more about Stitch. I've always wanted to know more about his dam.

http://www.thegreifcorps.blogspot.com/

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:15 am

How many of the Open Qualifying All Age stakes have you seen a gsp or britt win? Amatuer Ch dont get ya to Ames
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:15 am

A better question might be? Has there ever been a conteniental breed dog run in a national qualifying stake. If so who might it be!!!!!! When you find that out, you'll probally realize there is really no interests from those groups in participating. Dream on boys!!!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:22 am

myerstenn wrote:A better question might be? Has there ever been a conteniental breed dog run in a national qualifying stake. If so who might it be!!!!!! When you find that out, you'll probally realize there is really no interests from those groups in participating. Dream on boys!!!
I'm guessing you haven't read this thread.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:30 am

brad27 wrote:
ElhewPointer wrote:
JKP wrote:Think a quarter horse will ever win the Derby. Think a thoroughbred will ever win a 150 mile endurance race???

Think a stocker will ever win a Formula 1race?? Greyhounds win the Iditarod?? Pointers finish in large pack hare trials??

Who cares??
+1
If you don't care, why are commenting?

Because this thread is comical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:32 am

brad27 wrote:
myerstenn wrote:A better question might be? Has there ever been a conteniental breed dog run in a national qualifying stake. If so who might it be!!!!!! When you find that out, you'll probally realize there is really no interests from those groups in participating. Dream on boys!!!
I'm guessing you haven't read this thread.
Obviously you dont have an idea what it takes to qualify. In my opinion there has never been one qualified in recent memory!!!!!! That is to run ,the traditional pointer and setter national the second weekend in febuary. If you are asking me, were the previously mentioned dogs qualifiers. My response would be ,Idont remember them being run in the event mentioned, If they were qualified Iam sure they would of run just to make history

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:38 am

myerstenn wrote:A better question might be? Has there ever been a conteniental breed dog run in a national qualifying stake.
This has been addressed several times in this thread. That is what Brad was talking about.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 am

With this thread to this point I have only answered the questions as asked (which at it's core is basically "is it possible?") and have done so honestly and sincerely, based on my experiences and the absolute fact that there are many examples of pointers/setters that have qualified and/or run at Nat'ls that have in other AA championships, been bested by GSP's. To claim or even imagine that the same thing couldn't happen in a Nat. Qualifying Open Ch, especially in our neck of the woods where those same dogs running in the Am Ch's typically make up the field in the Open Ch's often run on the same exact grounds, is just plain being ignorant of reason. 'nuff said.

Now, since it seems most folks, rather than addressing the simple question as asked, seem to be more focused on if a GSP/britt will actually ever win two qualifiers, and if upon doing so, go and win the thing. I'd have to say the answer is no. Honestly I don't know any GSP/britt person,including myself, that really cares enough to put forth the effort to try and do it. heck, I don't even like field trials that much, they kind of bore me - wouldn't shed a tear if I never did another. Personally, I end up participating in the occasional Nat. Qual. trial (I'll probably do two next spring) just out of pure opportunity because nothing else happens to be going on at the time not because I'm campaigning a dog to qualify for Nat'ls. I could have went to one, and actually took the time off in case I decided to go, a couple weeks ago in California, but decided to go hunting for the week instead (knowing full well my dog had just came out on top of many of the dogs that would be entered, in fact the dog that won we've come out on top of a couple times before and the RU is pictured in this very thread with my dog standing right next to him in the winner's circle). Honestly I doubt I'd waste my time or money if I ever did have a dog qualify but that's so far beyond comprehension or likelihood it's not worth the time to even ponder it.

Anyway, could it happen? Absolutely. Will it happen? Odds are lonnggg, lonnnngg on no. Factual, reasoned, and sincere answers.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:13 am

ACooper wrote:
myerstenn wrote:A better question might be? Has there ever been a conteniental breed dog run in a national qualifying stake.
This has been addressed several times in this thread. That is what Brad was talking about.
Thanks Coop, for a second I thought it was MY reading comprehension that was off. :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:20 am

DGFavor wrote:With this thread to this point I have only answered the questions as asked (which at it's core is basically "is it possible?") and have done so honestly and sincerely, based on my experiences and the absolute fact that there are many examples of pointers/setters that have qualified and/or run at Nat'ls that have in other AA championships, been bested by GSP's. To claim or even imagine that the same thing couldn't happen in a Nat. Qualifying Open Ch, especially in our neck of the woods where those same dogs running in the Am Ch's typically make up the field in the Open Ch's often run on the same exact grounds, is just plain being ignorant of reason. 'nuff said.

Now, since it seems most folks, rather than addressing the simple question as asked, seem to be more focused on if a GSP/britt will actually ever win two qualifiers, and if upon doing so, go and win the thing. I'd have to say the answer is no. Honestly I don't know any GSP/britt person,including myself, that really cares enough to put forth the effort to try and do it. heck, I don't even like field trials that much, they kind of bore me - wouldn't shed a tear if I never did another. Personally, I end up participating in the occasional Nat. Qual. trial (I'll probably do two next spring) just out of pure opportunity because nothing else happens to be going on at the time not because I'm campaigning a dog to qualify for Nat'ls. I could have went to one, and actually took the time off in case I decided to go, a couple weeks ago in California, but decided to go hunting for the week instead (knowing full well my dog had just came out on top of many of the dogs that would be entered, in fact the dog that won we've come out on top of a couple times before and the RU is pictured in this very thread with my dog standing right next to him in the winner's circle). Honestly I doubt I'd waste my time or money if I ever did have a dog qualify but that's so far beyond comprehension or likelihood it's not worth the time to even ponder it.

Anyway, could it happen? Absolutely. Will it happen? Odds are lonnggg, lonnnngg on no. Factual, reasoned, and sincere answers.

Exactly right! Great post that answers the questions instead of changing them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:11 pm

It will never happen, Why would someone place a breed other than a pointer or setter in the top spot of a qualifying event. So he could be shamed out of ever judging again? SO he could be the laughing stock of the pointer/setter world? Like it or not its breed specific.

If i took the greatest all age pointer docked his tail and ran him in a qualifying event and he performed far better than any other dog he wouldnt even place, but if he had a tail he would have placed first.

I am ok with it. Thats why there are breed specific events. How many pointers do you see running in the ABC? How many do you see running in the NGSPA championship?

I supppoose if i had millions of dollars to waste i would try to get one in but even then it probably would happen.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 pm

jasonw99 wrote:It will never happen, Why would someone place a breed other than a pointer or setter in the top spot of a qualifying event. So he could be shamed out of ever judging again? SO he could be the laughing stock of the pointer/setter world? Like it or not its breed specific.

If i took the greatest all age pointer docked his tail and ran him in a qualifying event and he performed far better than any other dog he wouldnt even place, but if he had a tail he would have placed first.

I am ok with it. Thats why there are breed specific events. How many pointers do you see running in the ABC? How many do you see running in the NGSPA championship?

I supppoose if i had millions of dollars to waste i would try to get one in but even then it probably would happen.
You forgot to read the thread, didn't you.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:42 pm

jasonw99 wrote:It will never happen, Why would someone place a breed other than a pointer or setter in the top spot of a qualifying event. So he could be shamed out of ever judging again? SO he could be the laughing stock of the pointer/setter world? Like it or not its breed specific.

:?: :?: :?:

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:49 pm

The world has always been out to get poor Jason.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:50 pm

:lol:

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:14 pm

jasonw99 wrote:I am ok with it. Thats why there are breed specific events. How many pointers do you see running in the ABC? How many do you see running in the NGSPA championship?
Every dog at the NGSPA is a Pointer. :D

German Pointer 8)
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:50 pm

slistoe wrote:

I am not going to read 3 pages of nonsense. The original post asked if a shorthair could make it ames and win. I said no and explained why... Did i miss something?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Obviously. :roll:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:37 pm

jasonw99 wrote:
slistoe wrote:

I am not going to read 3 pages of nonsense. The original post asked if a shorthair could make it ames and win. I said no and explained why... Did i miss something?
The most nonsense in the whole thread is in your post.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Jason,

Here is what you missed by giving your uninformed opinion instead of seeking an education and reading this informational thread. I know many of the judges of the qualifying trials, and I know for a fact that they would put up a stripped, 3 legged, tailess, cock-a-poo if it was the best dog. I know because they have used my Bitts when they earned it.

Now the lack of a tail is problematic, as a tail is judged on a pointer/setter, I have heard them say of my dog. He might not have much of a tail, but what he does have is sticking straight up.

So I agree with Doug and others, it is unlikely to happen, but not due to unfair judging.

You need to get to more trials.

Croix

Post by Croix » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Again, gsp, possible. Britt, not a chance. Britts are a weekend/house dog

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:53 pm

I read the ENTIRE thread and I kinda have to think Jason might be on to something.... Really lets take a look as some history here... There has been a very prominate person caught with a dog that did not DNA, wrong papers or whatever it was. Then you have all these pups born on that magical day! So tell me again if a dog other than a ENGLISH pointer or ENGLISH setter has a snow balls chance in Arizona/Ames....

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:05 pm

I've responded on this thread multiple times without ever answering the question, which I believe is a two part one. Could a GSP or Britt make it to Ames? I think yes, if someone wanted to take the time and money to get it qualified. I would be curious to see how many people are actually running short tails in national qualifiers. I'll bet not many. Could a GSP or Brit win at Ames? Since it qualified it has what it takes to run there, but I don't think it could win.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Definately. It is the people mixing up dogs and registering on the wrong dates that are keeping GSP's off the steps at ames?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:28 pm

TAK wrote:I read the ENTIRE thread and I kinda have to think Jason might be on to something.... Really lets take a look as some history here... There has been a very prominate person caught with a dog that did not DNA, wrong papers or whatever it was. Then you have all these pups born on that magical day! So tell me again if a dog other than a ENGLISH pointer or ENGLISH setter has a snow balls chance in Arizona/Ames....
If you are talking about On Line, it might be worthwhile to note that his brother will be inducted into the HOF in February.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:48 pm

TAK wrote:I read the ENTIRE thread and I kinda have to think Jason might be on to something.... Really lets take a look as some history here... There has been a very prominate person caught with a dog that did not DNA, wrong papers or whatever it was. Then you have all these pups born on that magical day! So tell me again if a dog other than a ENGLISH pointer or ENGLISH setter has a snow balls chance in Arizona/Ames....
Yes sir thats the reason.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Winchey wrote:Definately. It is the people mixing up dogs and registering on the wrong dates that are keeping GSP's off the steps at ames?
No... But with all this above table action we see, do you really think they will let one in? What we need here is a SEABISKET! The dog that knowone wanted, the handler that did not conform, the dream to be the champion the heart of a winner!!!!

it was already said... Who wants to put the OTHER dog up over the ENGLISH! Could you be that judge? Can you bank on others. History runs deep man!

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
If you are talking about On Line, it might be worthwhile to note that his brother will be inducted into the HOF in February.
Don't mistake my comments as that any of these dogs are not deserving... I am just saying that history and traditions run a bit more thick in the blood.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 pm

I had my first birddog when I was 16. I trained him and had him pretty solid when I got on AKC's website and looked up a trial near by. It was a Britt trial. I called up to ask how to enter Harley and when they found out he wasn't a Britt the lady told me that I couldn't be expected to know it because I was new, but I would be better off not coming since he was a Shorthair. Put me off so bad I didn't run my first AKC trial for another ten years.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:41 pm

TAK wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
Don't mistake my comments as that any of these dogs are not deserving... I am just saying that history and traditions run a bit more thick in the blood.
It is a different game, for sure. Speaking of Thoroughbred analogies, I would rather have an Eclipse than a Seabiscuit any day. Also, while he may have fallen to a nobody horse that nobody wanted, War Admiral's name is in the Studbook. Seabiscuit was a media darling for a short while but was, alas, a gelding.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Are ya some sort of hisotry of animals buff? heck I only seen the show!
Cajun Casey wrote:
TAK wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:[

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Stoneface wrote:I had my first birddog when I was 16. I trained him and had him pretty solid when I got on AKC's website and looked up a trial near by. It was a Britt trial. I called up to ask how to enter Harley and when they found out he wasn't a Britt the lady told me that I couldn't be expected to know it because I was new, but I would be better off not coming since he was a Shorthair. Put me off so bad I didn't run my first AKC trial for another ten years.
They can't handle some competition infringing. Closed trials are a joke.

rinker

Post by rinker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:01 pm

A lot of these posts talk about pointers and setters at Ames. I think it is worth noting that a setter has not won in over 40 years, although a few do qualify every year.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:20 pm

TAK wrote:Are ya some sort of hisotry of animals buff? heck I only seen the show!

I read the book ;)

JKP

Post by JKP » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Comparing apples and oranges....why would an apple even want to be an orange?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:39 pm

JKP wrote:Comparing apples and oranges....why would an apple even want to be an orange?
Because it likes Florida better than Washington?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Aren't the AA GSP guys trying to mimick the pointer game?

mask

Post by mask » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Are'nt there a lot of gsps and britts that have a lot of english pointer crossed into them? Same goes for setters. One would'nt think they got their big run and intensity by magic. I'm not knocking anyone or their dogs, I have heard this on more than one occasion and I'm just asking.

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Winchey wrote:Aren't the AA GSP guys trying to mimick the pointer game?
That I can not answer... They may? So what is it that the Pointer game playing?

JKP

Post by JKP » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Putting games for games sake aside (and there's nothing wrong with games)...assuming competitions are also meant to identify the best dogs for breeding...is there anyone out there that's complaining about POS GSPs because they can't/don't compete with Pointers?? I mean, besides for the cheap plated trophies, does it really matter to the 99% that are looking for a good hunting dog??

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:04 pm

JKP wrote:Putting games for games sake aside (and there's nothing wrong with games)...assuming competitions are also meant to identify the best dogs for breeding...is there anyone out there that's complaining about POS GSPs because they can't/don't compete with Pointers?? I mean, besides for the cheap plated trophies, does it really matter to the 99% that are looking for a good hunting dog??
What is a POS GSP?

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:04 pm

bb560m wrote:
Stoneface wrote:I had my first birddog when I was 16. I trained him and had him pretty solid when I got on AKC's website and looked up a trial near by. It was a Britt trial. I called up to ask how to enter Harley and when they found out he wasn't a Britt the lady told me that I couldn't be expected to know it because I was new, but I would be better off not coming since he was a Shorthair. Put me off so bad I didn't run my first AKC trial for another ten years.
They can't handle some competition infringing. Closed trials are a joke.

X 100000000,0000

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:35 pm

How many Britts do they allow in the GSP trials? They did not invite any to the invitational.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:49 pm

This will make a few happy im sure. The lack of knowledge on this forum is unreal. Lack of knowledge isn't a bad thing, but when the lack of knowledge doesn't understand that they have a lack of said knowledge, thats when I can't handle it. I will no longer be posting on this board. Good luck to all of you with your dogs no matter what the goal is.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 pm

It specifically says right on Ames website, English Pointers/English Setters not all pointing breeds.