Gotta Vent!

User avatar
Stoneface
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Terrell/Quinlan, Texas

Gotta Vent!

Post by Stoneface » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Found some little hard foreign objects under Moxy's hide the other day so we took her into the vet. Vet ran a scan and they're BBs. I have been totally baffled. Today my dad was out burning in the back yard and took the girls out with him, but Moxy kept trying to do the birddog thing and slink off, so my dad put her in the run out back. He was standing at the edge of the yard when all the sudden Moxy starts going nuts, trying to climb up the walls of the kennel and crying. My dad walks over to see what was wrong as as he came into view he saw the neighbor kid behind a shed with a BB gun drawn down on Moxy.

This could be anything else. He could have shot me, he could have slashed my tires, he could have shot my house with a paintball gun, but this is different. Enough to get your blood boiling!
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

User avatar
Brazosvalleyvizslas
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:20 am
Location: Soon2be, Texas

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:25 pm

Did you call the authorities, news agencies and animal rights groups. ? The parents would be paying my Vet bill for sure.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Did you call the authorities, news agencies and animal rights groups. ? The parents would be paying my Vet bill for sure.
I sure hope not. Sounds like something that could easily become a learning experience for a little boy that is not old enough for a BB gun. Dad needs the first chance to get it taken care of.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
Gertie
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 876
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:12 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Gertie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:24 pm

What a little creep. I hope you set him straight and then told his parents they'd be getting a bill. :evil: Boy, I'd be mad.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
Image
'Gertie'

shags
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by shags » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Did you call the authorities, news agencies and animal rights groups. ? The parents would be paying my Vet bill for sure.
I sure hope not. Sounds like something that could easily become a learning experience for a little boy that is not old enough for a BB gun. Dad needs the first chance to get it taken care of.

Ezzy
IMO Dad should have set the little snot straight BEFORE he turned him loose with a BB gun. Even at five years old, a kid should know dogs are not appropriate targets. I can see one or two shots because kids will be stupid sometimes, but this kid was watching the dog panic. Dad would be getting my vet bill, and if he so much as blinked about it, the sheriff would be knocking on his door.

User avatar
Brazosvalleyvizslas
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:20 am
Location: Soon2be, Texas

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Ezzy, I would give the parents the first chance but if I wasn't satisfied I would do anything to get closure. Nobody shoots my dogs itentionally and gets away with it. Sounds like his parents don't have good skills so why waste too much on them?

User avatar
Stoneface
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Terrell/Quinlan, Texas

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Stoneface » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:38 pm

The boy is in his grand parent's custody. Not sure what happened to the parents. I've been down at the police station talking to the police officer on duty. Turns out he's a major pointer-lover. Has had Setters, Pointers, Shorthairs. Wants to get back into the game, but doesn't know how. I think he's going to come to the trial club with me. Anyhow, the boy admitted to all of it, but the grand parents, apparently, don't think it's that big a deal. The police officer is taking them to court and trying to get the boy into a better circumstance. The boy is VERY out of control around the neighborhood.

The boy is coming on thirteen years old, if I'm not mistaken.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

User avatar
Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Heck of a BB gun.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Ezzy, I would give the parents the first chance but if I wasn't satisfied I would do anything to get closure. Nobody shoots my dogs itentionally and gets away with it. Sounds like his parents don't have good skills so why waste too much on them?
Because there isn't a kid in the world that doesn't need that chance. And if we don't want the government telling us what to do then we need to also work things out with calling them in to help. Just don't think it works both ways. What did you think the animal rights people were going to do for you? Onr thing I know they would do is make a big deal about you keeping a dog in a little kennel run. Of course, depending on how it is handled and what results could make a difference in further action.

Ezzy

PS just read Stoneface's last post and sounds like he has handled it pretty well, given the circumstances.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
Stoneface
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Terrell/Quinlan, Texas

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Stoneface » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:54 pm

When I found out I was headed over to the house to talk to the grandparents, but my dad called me on the way home from work and told me he'd already called the police. I wish he would have held his tongue and let me handle it. Not saying I wouldn't have called the police, but would have liked to talk to them first.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Stoneface wrote:When I found out I was headed over to the house to talk to the grandparents, but my dad called me on the way home from work and told me he'd already called the police. I wish he would have held his tongue and let me handle it. Not saying I wouldn't have called the police, but would have liked to talk to them first.
Goodfor you unless you have had other prior personal contact that hasn't gone well.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
CHJIII
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Richland, Mo.

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by CHJIII » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Rowdy

You might want to take it a step forward and bring the kid over to meet your dogs. One big lick from one of your dogs would put more shame into him than any talk that anyone could give him. It should give him a better understanding of what the love of a dog means.

Croix
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:45 pm
Location: mn

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Croix » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Ezzy, "small kennel run"????

User avatar
AZ Brittany Guy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Stoneface wrote:The boy is in his grand parent's custody. Not sure what happened to the parents. I've been down at the police station talking to the police officer on duty. Turns out he's a major pointer-lover. Has had Setters, Pointers, Shorthairs. Wants to get back into the game, but doesn't know how. I think he's going to come to the trial club with me. Anyhow, the boy admitted to all of it, but the grand parents, apparently, don't think it's that big a deal. The police officer is taking them to court and trying to get the boy into a better circumstance. The boy is VERY out of control around the neighborhood.

The boy is coming on thirteen years old, if I'm not mistaken.
Having two of my dogs shot several years ago (unknown neighbors), you have no idea how hot I get when I hear stuff like this. You don't want to know what I would do. I hope this kid pays the price.

User avatar
Stoneface
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Terrell/Quinlan, Texas

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Stoneface » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Chuck, he knows the girls. He has come over and hung out before. His parents aren't the best in the world, so we've tried to include him when we're playing catch or pay him to do chores when he comes over looking for some money. He's played with the girls. The kids in the neighborhood would come over and ask just to play with my Malinois. We would give them a tennis ball and they would go out in the field, just put her back inside when they were done.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:06 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Stoneface wrote:The boy is in his grand parent's custody. Not sure what happened to the parents. I've been down at the police station talking to the police officer on duty. Turns out he's a major pointer-lover. Has had Setters, Pointers, Shorthairs. Wants to get back into the game, but doesn't know how. I think he's going to come to the trial club with me. Anyhow, the boy admitted to all of it, but the grand parents, apparently, don't think it's that big a deal. The police officer is taking them to court and trying to get the boy into a better circumstance. The boy is VERY out of control around the neighborhood.

The boy is coming on thirteen years old, if I'm not mistaken.
Having two of my dogs shot several years ago (unknown neighbors), you have no idea how hot I get when I hear stuff like this. You don't want to know what I would do. I hope this kid pays the price.
Merry Christmas!!! Lets all keep Christ in our Christmas! "Seek first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you.
Some one wrote this on another thread and it sounded good??????????????????????????
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
wems2371
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Eastern Iowa

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by wems2371 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47 pm

I really don't call shooting at a neighbors dog at age 13, little boy antics. To me, it's disturbing behavior. I'll never understand how folks turn a kid loose with a BB gun either, as if it's a toy. They're capable of some pretty serious injuries.

User avatar
AZ Brittany Guy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:20 am

ezzy333 wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Stoneface wrote:The boy is in his grand parent's custody. Not sure what happened to the parents. I've been down at the police station talking to the police officer on duty. Turns out he's a major pointer-lover. Has had Setters, Pointers, Shorthairs. Wants to get back into the game, but doesn't know how. I think he's going to come to the trial club with me. Anyhow, the boy admitted to all of it, but the grand parents, apparently, don't think it's that big a deal. The police officer is taking them to court and trying to get the boy into a better circumstance. The boy is VERY out of control around the neighborhood.

The boy is coming on thirteen years old, if I'm not mistaken.
Having two of my dogs shot several years ago (unknown neighbors), you have no idea how hot I get when I hear stuff like this. You don't want to know what I would do. I hope this kid pays the price.
Merry Christmas!!! Lets all keep Christ in our Christmas! "Seek first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you.
Some one wrote this on another thread and it sounded good??????????????????????????
Yes Ezzy, I wrote that but I am human and have emotions and do not claim to be perfect. Here's one for you Ezzy, "walk in another man's shoes before you judge them". Go get self righteous and judgmental with someone else.

User avatar
seacowboy
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 am
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by seacowboy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:52 am

Really agree with the last two posts from wems and AZ Britt.

This behavior left unchecked can and will grow into much more serious problems in the very near future for this boy. He needs professional help in dealing with shooting at and harming animals. Really hope the BB gun has already been removed and ALL other firearms in the house are secured properly.

The grandparents need to held accountable for his actions along with the vet bills.

Max2
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:06 pm
Location: Oneonta NY

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Max2 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:18 am

BB gun's are not toy's . It's amazing how many people think that they are. I once found a bunch of BB's in shed next to max's kennel. Then I would think back to times when I would come home & max would be in his dog house in the kennel & it would take a lot of coaking to get him out. Never dreaming someone is shooting at him. Which may have been the case. If a BB has enough power to penetrate the dog's hide or in my case stick in the shed........... what would have happened if it struck the dog in the eye or side of his head ? They are not toy's !

User avatar
Vision
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:01 pm
Location: rocky mountains

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Vision » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:35 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Did you call the authorities, news agencies and animal rights groups. ? The parents would be paying my Vet bill for sure.

Why in the heck would you call the animal rights groups, they are not our/your friends.

User avatar
dog dr
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Pike County, IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by dog dr » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:44 am

im on Ezzys side on this one. This is an oppurtunity to teach this kid a valuable lesson, possibly even mentor him into becoming one of us (a responsible outdoorsman), maybe even turn him around from going down the wrong path in life. It is an excellent chance to teach him what the word GRACE really means, especially at Christmas. quite frankly it surprises the heck out of me that most of you immediately want to get the cops involved over shooting a dog with a BB gun, and at least one of you "doesnt know what I would do" and wants "this kid to pay the price". :roll: :roll: Ezzy is exactly right - part of the reason we have so many overbearing government regulations and laws and just plain stupid rules is that instead of being rational adults and attempting to take care of our problems face to face, man to man first, we immediately want the government to do something about it. we go running to the police, the school board, the county board, and any other seat of authority we can think of, crying about what our neighbor did to us and how they better make it right. Now before i get accused of being insensitive to stonefaces dog being shot, believe me i would be angry as well. but lets be honest about it - BBs hardly ever go any deeper than under the skin, and the dog was not in any real danger. was it cruel and certainly distressing to the dog?? Absolutley. But it wasnt a broadhead, it wasnt antifreeze or fly bait in the food, he didnt set the dog on fire, or any of the other things that i have seen people do to dogs. Yes, left unchecked it could escalate to something worse, I agree. Im just saying that instead of jumping to immediate and severe vengeance like our society likes to do, take a deep breath and look for a chance to help this kid rather than make his situation in life even worse than it is. Stoneface, sounds like you were going to try and do just that, and that you have already began cultivating a relationship with this kid. Good for you - I hope you continue to do that. Merry Christmas to everybody! :)

User avatar
dreamerofdreams
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: Temporarily Absent from Alaska

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:52 am

One of my students is in critical condition after another child did not understand that BB guns are not toys.

I think it's a pretty serious issue and the kid does need to "pay the price." And by that, I mean learning well and good why that is wrong, whether it's by talking to kid/grandparents/whatever or involving the authorities if that doesn't work.

User avatar
TAK
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:45 am
Location: Utah

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by TAK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:56 am

Kids do stupid stuff.... I think that calling the cops is the best thing that you could have done. Now you hope that it does not continue or worsen in any way. I have to complement you guys that think they should turn this into a teaching lesson... But I warn you of something. Our Youth is not what it use to be!

I have been a cop for 17 plus years. It is alarming how many of the people I deal with started with "Kids doing stupid stuff"

User avatar
SubMariner
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 7:47 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by SubMariner » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 am

seacowboy wrote:Really agree with the last two posts from wems and AZ Britt.

This behavior left unchecked can and will grow into much more serious problems in the very near future for this boy. He needs professional help in dealing with shooting at and harming animals. Really hope the BB gun has already been removed and ALL other firearms in the house are secured properly.

The grandparents need to held accountable for his actions along with the vet bills.
Exactly. As Max2 said, BB guns are not toys. The dog is lucky he was not hit in the eye or some other sensitive area. The fact that the pellets were "just under the skin" doesn't diminish how badly this could have gone. You only have to read what dreamerofdreams wrote to realize this fact.

Would people still be shrugging this off if it were a CHILD that had been shot? I think not.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

User avatar
Stoneface
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Terrell/Quinlan, Texas

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Stoneface » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:14 am

Doc, I know what you're saying and I wish I could have spoken to his grandparents first, but the police officer was on the phone with CPS when I got there last night and it's totally out of my hands now. Beyond that, the grand parents are totally worthless as guardians. They just kind of give a slap on the wrist, if that, and send him back out. He has a history of being obnoxious and doing whatever he wants, blowing off adults, stealing and disregarding authority whatsoever. Trying to help the kid for his sake is one thing, but it's more than just futile, given the circumstances, if his grandparents aren't going to do anything about it.

When I walked in and heard him talking to CPS yesterday, he mentioned that another relative at the house took the officer to the side and told him that the boy has had a history of inflicting pain on animals in the past.
...what would have happened if it struck the dog in the eye or side of his head ? They are not toy's !
She's got one in her lip, about two inches from an eye. Thinking about this one gets me HEATED.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:16 am

TAK wrote:Kids do stupid stuff.... I think that calling the cops is the best thing that you could have done. Now you hope that it does not continue or worsen in any way. I have to complement you guys that think they should turn this into a teaching lesson... But I warn you of something. Our Youth is not what it use to be!

I have been a cop for 17 plus years. It is alarming how many of the people I deal with started with "Kids doing stupid stuff"
I agree, but part of why that is true is kids have always done stupid stuff but in years past the parents usually took care of it. Today many of the parents are still doing stupid stuff and have no idea what parenting really is. The difference in kids today is nothing more than the difference in parents. I for one, will continue to try and make a difference even though it is one kid at a time. Just wish I had more help.

And granted,I or no one elsse is always successful. This may be a hard case to crack but I am sure without some one making an effort this kid is lost. I think that is a terrible punishment for a 13 year old who has had little if any guidence in right and wrong or being responsible for his actions. Thank God I had that help as most of you did.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
campgsp
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:05 am
Location: illinois

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by campgsp » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 am

Sorry this happened to your dog.

For those who say its only a bb gun its not going to hurt the dog much. Not good. Things like this can lead to bigger problems. What's next an arrow real gun?

This kid should not be let to go unpunished. Sounds like an old over the knee is needed. And some wisdom of what a gun is for and what it does. Bb gun or not.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 am

SubMariner wrote:
seacowboy wrote:Really agree with the last two posts from wems and AZ Britt.

This behavior left unchecked can and will grow into much more serious problems in the very near future for this boy. He needs professional help in dealing with shooting at and harming animals. Really hope the BB gun has already been removed and ALL other firearms in the house are secured properly.

The grandparents need to held accountable for his actions along with the vet bills.
Exactly. As Max2 said, BB guns are not toys. The dog is lucky he was not hit in the eye or some other sensitive area. The fact that the pellets were "just under the skin" doesn't diminish how badly this could have gone. You only have to read what dreamerofdreams wrote to realize this fact.

Would people still be shrugging this off if it were a CHILD that had been shot? I think not.
Weare shrugging off 40 kids a month being shot and killed in Chicago every month of this past year, and I don't see many paying any attrention at all. And Chicago isn't unique, so yes, I think there are many kids shot with real guns and we shrug it off.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1863
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:38 am

My son was shot in the side of the head by an air rifle when he was about 11 years old. There were several witnesses to this happening who had seen the 14 years old boy fire the shot deliberately. My son had to go to hospital to have the pellet removed. I went to see the boy's father who did nothing at all about it. 4 years later I "remonstrated" with his son as he was by then an adult. When I'd finished with him I told him to send his father to see me if he wanted to but the father never came near me.

I still think that boy needed his backside reddened at a much earlier age and I think the same about the boy who shot the dog. At his age it was a deliberate act and he must have known it was very wrong. He must be corrected in some way NOW or he may do worse the next time .

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:05 am

Trekmoor wrote:My son was shot in the side of the head by an air rifle when he was about 11 years old. There were several witnesses to this happening who had seen the 14 years old boy fire the shot deliberately. My son had to go to hospital to have the pellet removed. I went to see the boy's father who did nothing at all about it. 4 years later I "remonstrated" with his son as he was by then an adult. When I'd finished with him I told him to send his father to see me if he wanted to but the father never came near me.

I still think that boy needed his backside reddened at a much earlier age and I think the same about the boy who shot the dog. At his age it was a deliberate act and he must have known it was very wrong. He must be corrected in some way NOW or he may do worse the next time .

Bill T.
Agreed! Hope none of you interupt helping a kid as meaning not being held accountable.That is really the first step in the whole process.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:14 pm
Location: Amelia,Ohio

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:59 am

I think the whole problem is that if parents punished their kids today like our parents punished us which made us have much more respect,the jails would be full of parents.It's now called CHILD ABUSE which is a bunch of BS in my opinion.The younger gen needs to wake up & take back the control of their kids & not just hand it off to law enforcement & other agencies.

User avatar
TAK
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:45 am
Location: Utah

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by TAK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Great Points EZ! So if I read you right we need to have a better breeding program for HUMANS! That may come off funny, but really I am not kidding! Some can be blamed that we have taken parent justic away from the parents, but really I see really poor parents. Like I said I have been a cop 17 years. I am now on my second generation of family criminals. Yes I delt with Mom/dad, and now I am dealing with son/daughter now.

I still say it was good that the cops got involved. I say this because I would have beat this kids arse.... Just like mine would have been if I was the one pulling the trigger!


ezzy333 wrote:
TAK wrote:Kids do stupid stuff.... I think that calling the cops is the best thing that you could have done. Now you hope that it does not continue or worsen in any way. I have to complement you guys that think they should turn this into a teaching lesson... But I warn you of something. Our Youth is not what it use to be!

I have been a cop for 17 plus years. It is alarming how many of the people I deal with started with "Kids doing stupid stuff"
I agree, but part of why that is true is kids have always done stupid stuff but in years past the parents usually took care of it. Today many of the parents are still doing stupid stuff and have no idea what parenting really is. The difference in kids today is nothing more than the difference in parents. I for one, will continue to try and make a difference even though it is one kid at a time. Just wish I had more help.

And granted,I or no one elsse is always successful. This may be a hard case to crack but I am sure without some one making an effort this kid is lost. I think that is a terrible punishment for a 13 year old who has had little if any guidence in right and wrong or being responsible for his actions. Thank God I had that help as most of you did.

Ezzy

User avatar
Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Woman here was shot and killed last week by a fourteen year old when she walked in on a burglary in progress.

Cuff 'em and stuff 'em.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Rockstar
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am
Location: USA

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Rockstar » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:36 pm

1. Glad your dog is ok. Couldve been worse. Much worse.

2. BBs are NOT play toys- mine will penetrate 2x4s and has killed squirrels soundly, with GAMO Pellets.
Video of it here, in my locale, Air Guns are considered firearms. Not toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgm02hS6N_U


3. Inform police and parents.

4. Ask to speak to kid privately- invite him over and give him a stern talking to and warning, hands off private property etc.
Id tell him If he does it again, he will need to call 911, because an ambulance will be needed to take him to the hospital, you will protect your family/ property, and he will be eating from a tube in a body cast.
'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

User avatar
jcbuttry8
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 pm
Location: Bucks County, PA

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Rockstar wrote:1. Glad your dog is ok. Couldve been worse. Much worse.

2. BBs are NOT play toys- mine will penetrate 2x4s and has killed squirrels soundly, with GAMO Pellets.
Video of it here, in my locale, Air Guns are considered firearms. Not toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgm02hS6N_U


3. Inform police and parents.

4. Ask to speak to kid privately- invite him over and give him a stern talking to and warning, hands off private property etc.
Id tell him If he does it again, he will need to call 911, because an ambulance will be needed to take him to the hospital, you will protect your family/ property, and he will be eating from a tube in a body cast.
You did catch that this kid is 13 right? So, your suggestion on how to teach this kid non violence against animals is to threaten bodily harm to him. :roll:

Rowdy,
I commend you on what you had attempted but as some have stated that the talk may not be enough. If this was his first offense, then I would agree, but seeing how he has a history with hurting animals it was probably the right thing to do calling the law. In the wake of the tragedy in Conn., I would err on the side of caution. It has been proven many times that violence to animals is the first of the signs exhibited by serial killers. In most cases, they started there practice on animals.

I am not saying that this kid will turn out to be a mass murderer but he is showing the behaviors of those that have headed down that road. It is never easy to know the right way to handle these things but the important thing is that your dog never has to deal with this again. Truly sorry that your pup had to endure this but I hope that the young man gets the help he needs. Unfortunately, most of his problems are from the fact that no one cared enough to give him the discipline he needed growing up, and that is the biggest tragedy of this situation. What a shame.

Joe

RyanGSP
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by RyanGSP » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:03 am

threatening a child is NOT how to deal with this.

A stern talking to should be in order but dont threaten him or you will be in jail.

User avatar
Elkhunter
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1059
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:42 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:26 am

I am glad a lot of you were not my neighbors growing up! We carried BB guns 24/7 and hunted rabbits or squirrels all day long, and they occasional bird. We did stupid things, shot out windows in new homes being built, windows in tractors etc. We never shot someones dog though, though we might have shot a few random cats.... We got caught and had to work to pay off the damage we did, part of growin up. But we were kids, kids do stupid stuff. Kids in my neighborhood threw rocks through my fence, I found out who it was and talked to their parents. They worked off the cost of me to fix my fence doing crap in my yard.

RyanGSP
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by RyanGSP » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:36 am

Shooting a dog is not the same as shooting a teactor window or home window.

shags
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by shags » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:35 am

Elkhunter wrote:I am glad a lot of you were not my neighbors growing up! We carried BB guns 24/7 and hunted rabbits or squirrels all day long, and they occasional bird. We did stupid things, shot out windows in new homes being built, windows in tractors etc. We never shot someones dog though, though we might have shot a few random cats.... We got caught and had to work to pay off the damage we did, part of growin up. But we were kids, kids do stupid stuff. Kids in my neighborhood threw rocks through my fence, I found out who it was and talked to their parents. They worked off the cost of me to fix my fence doing crap in my yard.
I'm glad you were not my neighbor, too! :lol:

Random vandalism is different from intentionally tormenting an animal. Multiple shots to a dog that is penned in a small enclosure with no chance of escape kinda crosses the line :roll:

Max2
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:06 pm
Location: Oneonta NY

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Max2 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 am

Random vandalism is different from intentionally tormenting an animal. Multiple shots to a dog that is penned in a small enclosure with no chance of escape kinda crosses the line :roll:[/quote]



I could't agree with you more. That being said I think it is better if you can work it with the neighbor. Perhaps invite the young man to see your pup up close. When your pup comes over wagging his tail happy to see him & he see's for himself the damage he has inflicted it may leave an impression on the young man. & hopefully he will come to realize what he has done is wrong.

User avatar
ibbowhunting
Rank: Champion
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:58 am

just to be clear a pellet gun can kill a dog, i guy i know shot at a dog with a pellet gun to chase it away and some way the dog died later on from the shot i think i was a one in a million shot but it happened. :(

Rockstar
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am
Location: USA

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Rockstar » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:29 am

RyanGSP wrote:threatening a child is NOT how to deal with this.

A stern talking to should be in order but dont threaten him or you will be in jail.
Nowhere did I say to threaten the kid.
I would make just him a promise, that if any member of your family is ever harmed, including your animals, that he leaves in an ambulance. He can take that any way he wants.

No one gets a pass due to age. Hes a teenager.

Play stupid games = win stupid prizes.
'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

RYNO
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by RYNO » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:31 am

Sorry your dog had to endure the torchure it did.

One thing for sure, the kid would not have went home with his BB gun. It would have been wrapped around the nearest tree.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:55 am

Rockstar wrote:
RyanGSP wrote:threatening a child is NOT how to deal with this.

A stern talking to should be in order but dont threaten him or you will be in jail.
Nowhere did I say to threaten the kid.
I would make just him a promise, that if any member of your family is ever harmed, including your animals, that he leaves in an ambulance. He can take that any way he wants.

No one gets a pass due to age. Hes a teenager.

Play stupid games = win stupid prizes.
Where do you plan on finding a judge that thinks that isn't a threat? I think theyall understand English quite well.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brian Smith
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: chesterland, ohio

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by Brian Smith » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:35 am

We had a incident in my area not quite a year ago that made national news. A 17 yr. old who was in the custody of grandparents, because his parents were both losers. Now the point I look at is the grandparents failed with their own kids and were give the opportunity to raise the grandson. Again they failed, this kid is sitting in the county jail waiting to go on trial for 3 murders and 3 attemped murders of fellow students in a school cafeteria.
Now you have a 13 year old shooting at penned animals, and answering to grandparents who have no control, Yes I think the Police should have been called and people at protective services get a chance to evaluate the situation and get the boy some professional help.
Every senario is different, If you knew the family was whole and healthy and wouldn't tolerate that behavior, then yes I would support neighborly intervention!
Thank God I had great neighbors, as I had the opportunity to prove youngsters do many dumb stunts, and much to my chagrin learned I had to pay for my actions and learned a lesson from it!
Smitty

RyanGSP
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by RyanGSP » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Rockstar wrote:
RyanGSP wrote:threatening a child is NOT how to deal with this.

A stern talking to should be in order but dont threaten him or you will be in jail.
Nowhere did I say to threaten the kid.
I would make just him a promise, that if any member of your family is ever harmed, including your animals, that he leaves in an ambulance. He can take that any way he wants.

No one gets a pass due to age. Hes a teenager.

Play stupid games = win stupid prizes.

How is this not a threat?

User avatar
jcbuttry8
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 pm
Location: Bucks County, PA

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Rockstar wrote:
RyanGSP wrote:threatening a child is NOT how to deal with this.

A stern talking to should be in order but dont threaten him or you will be in jail.
Nowhere did I say to threaten the kid.
I would make just him a promise, that if any member of your family is ever harmed, including your animals, that he leaves in an ambulance. He can take that any way he wants.

No one gets a pass due to age. Hes a teenager.

Play stupid games = win stupid prizes.
Rockstar wrote:
4. Ask to speak to kid privately- invite him over and give him a stern talking to and warning, hands off private property etc.
Id tell him If he does it again, he will need to call 911, because an ambulance will be needed to take him to the hospital, you will protect your family/ property, and he will be eating from a tube in a body cast.
threat
/THret/
Noun

1. A statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not...:
2. A menace of bodily harm, such as may restrain a person's freedom of action.

Yes, you did!!!

Joe

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3191
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Central DE

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:21 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
RyanGSP wrote:threatening a child is NOT how to deal with this.

A stern talking to should be in order but dont threaten him or you will be in jail.
Nowhere did I say to threaten the kid.
I would make just him a promise, that if any member of your family is ever harmed, including your animals, that he leaves in an ambulance. He can take that any way he wants.

No one gets a pass due to age. Hes a teenager.

Play stupid games = win stupid prizes.
Rockstar wrote:
4. Ask to speak to kid privately- invite him over and give him a stern talking to and warning, hands off private property etc.
Id tell him If he does it again, he will need to call 911, because an ambulance will be needed to take him to the hospital, you will protect your family/ property, and he will be eating from a tube in a body cast.
threat
/THret/
Noun

1. A statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not...:
2. A menace of bodily harm, such as may restrain a person's freedom of action.

Yes, you did!!!

Joe


That don't sound so much like a threat. Sounds to me much more along the lines of a PROMISE!

That young man is very lucky that he has such a reasonable neighbor.

RayG

birddog1220
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: braidwood,il

Re: Gotta Vent!

Post by birddog1220 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:52 am

i'm with rockstar, he is lucky becouse that kid would have had meet my redwings and belt before meeting the dog.

Locked