Rip Rap Pointers

homestead setters

Rip Rap Pointers

Post by homestead setters » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:56 pm

I am a setter man first and foremost, but I appreciate any breed of dog that will get the job done. My question to the pointer men on the forum is this, which modern english pointer bloodlines go to back to the Rip Rap dogs? If my memory serves me right these were black and white pointers who were well built and hunting machines.

cjuve

Re: Rip Rap Pointers

Post by cjuve » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:24 pm

I believe that they all are

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Rip Rap was a fountainhead pointer. Just about every pointer born in the USA goes back to him or Jingo or Alford's John...or all three.

Rip Rap has been dead for over 100 years. He was retired from competition in 1904, I believe. There have been many, many generations of pointers since then so any influence he may have had is long since diluted to virtual insignificance.

My uncle was a western Kentucky farmboy in his youth. He and his brothers always referred to a big black and white pointer as a Rip Rap. I think it was just how they did.

RayG

homestead setters

Post by homestead setters » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks for the info RayG.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:23 am

"Rip Rap" was one of the first white and black Pointers to make a big mark in the field trial world. For many years prior to his appearance, black in a Pointer was frowned upon with suspicion, but it was not long before this prejudice was dispelled. So prominently did his name become associated with the white and blacks that to this day many of those not so well informed as they consider themselves refer to every white and black Pointer as a "Rip Rap". Rip Rap sired 19 field trial winners, many of them fine producers. His best son was "Young Rip Rap", a brilliant performer and a successful sire." -- The Sportsman's Bookshelf, Volume XIII, Hunting Dogs and Their Uses: The Stackpole Company, Harrisburg, PA, 1951