Odd Setter behavior

SJB

Odd Setter behavior

Post by SJB » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Today I was in the field w my 8 month old Lewellin setter and she exhibited some odd behavior.
She has been w a professional trainer and works w pigeons, quail and some pheasant.
I have taken her in field w me prob 6 times in last 2 months.
I let her run and range to about 50 yds and can call her back w a whistle, she is not afraid of any type of cover.

First time we flushed up 4 birds, she chased them- one was shot at and missed but she still chased. Next time we flushed 2 birds - didn't chase but kept working field w nice 40-50 yd range. - had a good point but nothing there.
Next time I took her in field we flushed 2 birds and she had a nice hard point on a third. All 3 birds were shot - this time she did not chase. But afterwards she stopped ranging out and stayed right at my side or behind me. I finished the hunt and put her in car- she fell asleep immediately. I figured she was beat.
Had her out next day and she was back to running field at normal distance.
Took her back to trainer- explained to him behavior- he said he would watch for it.
When I got her- he said he had one day where she exhibited same type of behavior. But next day she was fine.
I am very happy w trainer and don't have any issues w him. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
Today in field - we flushed 2 birds- chased no problems, third one was a good solid point- when I got to her and praised her adjusted her tail, as I whoaed her and moved around her the bird flushed and flew to my left- I looked to dog and she was watching bird but moving to my right. Right afterwards she started to stay within 10 feet of me. We went back to truck, watered her and took a break- we moved to a different field and right away 2 birds busted up about 10 yds from her. She the was by my side for the rest of the day- about a 150 yd to car. Before I put her in truck we played for about 15 mins w a retrieving dummy- she chased that like there was no tommarow- no problem running after it.

Not sure why she exhibits this behavior- seems to happen right after a point- could the flushing bird be scaring her?

I am going to take her out again tommarow and I'd she exhibits same behavior I may end the season early and let her mature a bit more.

She's a good dog, no problems with being shot over- just gets very clingy.
I
Sorry for the long winded post- thanks for any and all ideas.

SB

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Odd Setter behavior

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:50 pm

Are you sure she isn't gun shy. ?

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:15 am

Leave your shotgun at home for a couple trips and just follow along behind her,don't fiddle with her tail and whoaing her and let that 8 month old pup be a pup,my opinion is the dog is overtrained for her age in that she can't mentally handle it pressure wise,short and sweet hunts get her in birds and let her develop some of her own confidence.She's clingy because it sounds to me like she hits the end of gun range and you call her in.The first hunting season is for the dog the rest are yours.At 8 months old I'd be limiting the hunts to an hour at a time,if you run her into the dirt you run the risk of dousing the fire,same with the pressure to point and hold birds under duress.She sounds like she's sulking at the pressure of mental and or physical limitations for her age.I don't think it's odd behavior it sounds to me like she is shutting down because she's not having fun.

SJB

Post by SJB » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks
Appreciate the comments,
In thinking about it- i gotta agree that i have been to over zealous with her-
so i am gonna go back to just running her in the fields no guns flush or point
For an hr max.
Just fun for the rest of this season.

Thanks again

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:28 am

Way too much pressure for a puppy. Or at least, for this particular puppy.

With her behavior she is telling you something. Better listen, she speaks her truth.

Fester

Post by Fester » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:35 am

8 months old is the answer you are looking for I agree to much pressure back up