Importing

Ahumphers91a

Importing

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Has anyone ever imported a pup from Denmark to the West Coast? What's it usually cost?

Ahumphers91a

Re: Importing

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Not the cost of the pup, just airfare etc.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:07 pm

I imported one to the east coast 6 years ago....it cost $600 Copenhagen to Newark...about twice as much Frankfurt to Newark!!!

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:17 pm

It would be from Aalborg DK

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:10 pm

If you want the pup registered here wouldn't both parents have to send a swab to the AKC?? We had to do that when we imported semen.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Plenty of nice dogs here in the US! :D

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:22 am

Not importing semen, and if I import a pup its to add new blood to my own lines.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:25 am

I know your importing a pup but do you want it to be registrable In the u's?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:00 am

That's a lot of money and time to invest in a dog from a person you will not meet in person, observe the parents, observe the pups, and there are a lot of very nice dogs here (someone else already stated) .

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:55 am

Most of the greatest breedings came from Demark. All registered in the U.S

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Most? Man that's a pretty big statement....

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:20 pm

You need to go back to Tell and alot of others that came here to the states. Where do you think Rusty's breeding and Hustler came from.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Ken, did they send samples of the parents and if not, how could they confirm whonthe parents are? I

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Ken, did they send samples of the parents and if not, how could they confirm whonthe parents are? I
They did not have DNA when a lot of GSP's were imported back then , like Essers Chick, Axel v Wassersling, and Tell just to name a few. Individuals who were in the service or actually went over there and brought the dogs back. There were people like Bodo Winterhelt (sp) who brought dogs with them when they emigrated to U.S. and Canada. That is how we got a lot of our imports 30-40 plus years ago. So, your question is kind of mute. I guess then, it was trust thing.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:03 pm

My question is not mute because we have madatory DNA now and the OP is importing.a pup so if he wants it registered he will need samples from both parents. It can be a pain in the rear to get foreigners to do this. I'm just trying to inform the OP to confirm upfront that they are willing to do this. Some can't because then the truth will come out.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:09 pm

who has mandatory DNA? curious???
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Brooks Carmichael wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Ken, did they send samples of the parents and if not, how could they confirm whonthe parents are? I
They did not have DNA when a lot of GSP's were imported back then , like Essers Chick, Axel v Wassersling, and Tell just to name a few. Individuals who were in the service or actually went over there and brought the dogs back. There were people like Bodo Winterhelt (sp) who brought dogs with them when they emigrated to U.S. and Canada. That is how we got a lot of our imports 30-40 plus years ago. So, your question is kind of mute. I guess then, it was trust thing.
Trust was and is the big issue here. There are people you can trust and those you can't. Know what you're getting before you get it. The Germans and Dens have some of the most strick regulations on breeding.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Exactly Fuzz DNA is NOT MANDATORY!! :roll:

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 pm

DNA is mandatory to compete in AKC events and I believe AF also but don't compete in that venue. Anyone who's trying to "improve their line would want to have registration.

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:DNA is mandatory to compete in AKC events and I believe AF also but don't compete in that venue. Anyone who's trying to "improve their line would want to have registration.
You are correct and not correct. AKC does not require DNA for their weekend trials. They may for the National Gun Dog Championship, on not sure on that. GSPCA requires if for there Nationals. AF now is requiring it for their championships. NGSPA is also requiring it for all their championships.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Not everyone competes with their dogs & DNA is not required to breed dogs either,it's only required for certain things as of right now might change in the future but not now.You need to check up on the rules.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Brooks, have you read my earlier posts? Ok so that last one muddied the water. The key is that this dog is being imported. The AKC REQUIRES that all dogs or semen Neing imported be DNA tested. They also require the studs that are being used alot that may affect the book. There are other things but i can't think of them right now. The OP' puppy would have to bs consistent with both parents which means samples need to bs sent or it womt be registerable with the AKC. I've been through it.'

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Von, if he doesn't want to register r with the AkV then my posts don't apply but i don't know of many people who are "improving their lines'" would not register. It sounded to me ilke he breeds and registration brings validity to your line which means higher price.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:43 pm

I don't know about importing if DNA is required of parents or not to reg but in this country it's not required to reg a dog or litter with AKC.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:03 pm

It is voluntary for everyone except those that are imported, studs that sire enoughL itters to affect the Breed, fresh and frozen or fresh chilled semen and dual sired litters. In AF the topn2 finishers in an Open or amateur stake must submit DNA samples within 30 days.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Other then imports I know what the requirements are,been doing it just a little while.Never imported a dog & have no intentions of doing so.The NGSPA now requires all dogs to run in broke dog stakes to have a DNA no. to enter & must be on entry form.

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Brazzos you're 100% incorrect!! I own an imported DK who is an AKC registered neither one of her parents are DNA'd. It is not required as long as AKC recognizes the registry the dog comes from then all that is needed is the registration papers from that registry and a certified pedigree from that registry as well.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks Adam that's what I was thinking but since I never have had to deal with it didn't know for sure.I know there are a few DKS imported every yr.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:46 pm

All I know is what there website says and my experience. Mayby theY didn't Recognize registry?

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:17 pm

DNA is mandatory to run in the NAHVDA Invatational.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Adam wrote:Brazzos you're 100% incorrect!! I own an imported DK who is an AKC registered neither one of her parents are DNA'd. It is not required as long as AKC recognizes the registry the dog comes from then all that is needed is the registration papers from that registry and a certified pedigree from that registry as well.
Isn't a DK an over priced GSP...?

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:21 pm

ultracarry wrote:
Adam wrote:Brazzos you're 100% incorrect!! I own an imported DK who is an AKC registered neither one of her parents are DNA'd. It is not required as long as AKC recognizes the registry the dog comes from then all that is needed is the registration papers from that registry and a certified pedigree from that registry as well.
Isn't a DK an over priced GSP...?
Whatever you want to call it...

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:Not importing semen, and if I import a pup its to add new blood to my own lines.
In what repect do you think that a danish dog would be of benifit to the lines you have ? Just asking.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Ok, wow.. The guy I have been talking to has titles on his bitch, and the sire has been tested at the Kleeman. I am certain I wouldn't have an issue if I did have to have the DNA test done. I know what I want from the line's i'm looking at, just asking about shipping. The dam is about 10% german lines and the rest is Danish. The to be sire is between the one pictured (German Bred) to an all danish bred male solid liver as well.
Here's some pic's of the dam and possible sire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:15 pm

New blood, is a big one for me. Another is how strict the breeding is over there. were talking 1 litter a year if lucky. They want to only breed the very best to the very best. I'm not saying too much about dog's here....just saying I want new blood incorporated into my line. If I have to get a DNA test fine, no problem... I talk to Jacob in Denmark everyday about. Great guy, if it is an issue, I would have it done at time of breeding to make sure the sire and dam were there. If anyone has any knowledge of the freight cost, or where I can find it that would be helpful.
Thanks

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:25 pm

For what it's worth I think it's great and I commend you for putting out the extra effort to improve your dogs. DK or Shorthair, Denmark or US, right or wrong, I wish more people wouldn't take their "best" dog and breed it to Farmer John's dog down the way because he's a "heck of a birddog" or to the latest national champ.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Just a question...but has anyone here actually spent much time on the ground in Denmark....watching dogs train, compete or hunt??

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Stoneface wrote:For what it's worth I think it's great and I commend you for putting out the extra effort to improve your dogs. DK or Shorthair, Denmark or US, right or wrong, I wish more people wouldn't take their "best" dog and breed it to Farmer John's dog down the way because he's a "heck of a birddog" or to the latest national champ.
And why does it turn you off when someone breeds their best dog to a heck of a hunter that his neighbor has? That makes more sense to me than breeding to a foriegn dog you have never seen. Guess it everyone's perogitive to breed the way they want but I know which litter I would look at first.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Sorry for sidetracking on the DNA. Look like great dogs. Since the breeder is exporting yor most accurate answer would come from him by him calling the airlines that fly into his airport. The regulations vary. He could probably just tell you the overseas airlines there and you make the calls. Costs for flying dogs has doubled since the Westminster incident a few years ago and some airlines quit doing it at all.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks braz. I understand all of the questions, no problem for me. Again if I do import a pup, its to only bring new blood over and to add to my lines. Yes, if I wanted liver dogs I could do it here, etc. I want a line not "tainted" by us. Not using tainted as a bad word..lol, maybe not touched by us is better. Who knows, it could be a huge flop, or be something good. You won't know if you don't do. Merry Christmas to all.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:29 pm

The Danish are known for producing white dogs not Solid Lvr!! :P :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Importing

Post by ACooper » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:32 am

I like the look of that male, but if you're looking for solid liver.... Haha

Grant Butler

Post by Grant Butler » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:46 am

Contact Dr. Landers at www.airvets.com
He has shipped dogs from me to Canada, Hawaii, and Brazil.

Grant Butler
www.butlerstockdogs.com

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:36 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Stoneface wrote:For what it's worth I think it's great and I commend you for putting out the extra effort to improve your dogs. DK or Shorthair, Denmark or US, right or wrong, I wish more people wouldn't take their "best" dog and breed it to Farmer John's dog down the way because he's a "heck of a birddog" or to the latest national champ.
And why does it turn you off when someone breeds their best dog to a heck of a hunter that his neighbor has? That makes more sense to me than breeding to a foriegn dog you have never seen. Guess it everyone's perogitive to breed the way they want but I know which litter I would look at first.

Ezzy
Ezzy, too much to describe here, but basically just common sense. It wouldn't bother me much if there was a deficit of birddog pups in American, but we're killing birddogs and they're washing out of hunting homes faster than we can breed them. Have you ever noticed what percentage of litters are a person's personal dog taken to the "great" dog down the road or the latest national champ? Seems like it has to be better than 90-percent of the litters out there. By my thinking that's the type of breeding that makes up the mediocre cohort of dogs in the country. If you talk to or read from great breeder - that top 10-percent, they are more tactical in their breeding. They utilize a knowledge of genetics with a strategy of inbreeding, linebreeding and outcrossing. Just about every one of them will preach that the mindset that quality begets quality is a losing strategy.

But, this is quickly turning into a hijacking. All my comment was meant to say was that I thought it was great that he had enough of himself into his breeding program that he was willing to not capitalize on convenience and put out the effort that shows he really cares.
That makes more sense to me than breeding to a foriegn dog you have never seen.
I know the poster was real discrete in what he is doing, but I'm pretty sure he's wanting to import a puppy from Denmark, not take one of his bitches to a Euro stud without having seen more of him than just via photos. I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but I bet if he got the pup and, heaven forbid, it turned out to be a dud, he wouldn't breed it.

I don't see anything wrong with importing a dog. The protection dog set does it all the time and they've improved America's gene pool IMMENSELY. Now, I have no interest in owning a true German-bred Kurzaar, but if that type of dog is your poison those Euro-bred dogs are pretty impressive.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:14 pm

I don't think any of the Euro folks would breed to a American GSP without the dog being of DK registry. The last time my husband was going to import a DK everything was set.
The owner of the pup decided she wanted to fly to chi town with the pup on Howies dime round trip. The pup and air transport was spendy and we just couldn't afford to fly the owner of the pup here and back to Germany. Good luck with your venture.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:If you want the pup registered here wouldn't both parents have to send a swab to the AKC?? We had to do that when we imported semen.

When you imported semen did it work out for you with a litter of puppies?

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:17 am

I get what the OP is trying to do. There are plenty of great dogs here but as I await my color gene test on my new pup and we all saw the color issues that have come up with a so called litter of well bred shorthairs, I can see trying to bring in some new blood that is quite possibly free of pointer blood. If you can be sure that you are getting what they say. Whether DNA is mandatory or not, I would want the proof for myself. I believe the poster is smart enough to try out the pup and make sure that it is going to better his blood line before he actually breeds to the pup.

Now for the question at hand, I don't know what it costs but have heard of several who have imported dogs and it is not cheap. As a poster above stated, some breeders have stricter expectations then others. I had a friend that had to bring in the breeder and pup from Canada. The breeder needed to see his set up and make sure he was legit. If it's your cup of tea and that is what you choose to spend your money on then Merry Christmas and I wish you a great new year with the pup.

Joe

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:32 am

There are some very nice DK litters in the states, making importing unnecessary,IMO,
unless there is a specific undesired trait in other breedings or a specific desired trait dominant in Danish breedings,I don't know.

What trait are you looking for that you can not find here?

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:40 am

jcbuttry8 wrote: I can see trying to bring in some new blood that is quite possibly free of pointer blood.

Joe
Spending the money importing new blood to add to the tainted blood in the Rusty, Clown lines that he already owns, makes no sense to me.

volraider

Post by volraider » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:58 am

we need a like button!