A good dog, is a good dog, is a good dog....

dan v

Re: A good dog, is a good dog, is a good dog....

Post by dan v » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Chukar12 wrote:one goes to Sonny and one to Patch....
Don't you see this line?

[url=htp://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3363][img]http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/picture ... 3.jpg&w=75[/img

I been messing with it...I think it's hosed
Last edited by dan v on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:22 pm

UpNorthHuntin wrote:Maybe my idea of stylish is different than yours. I am not sure that I understand the "style" piece of it because that is subjective IMO.

Nah...it's because you have a picture of a cocker spaniel. :mrgreen:
Dan

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Wyndancer wrote:
UpNorthHuntin wrote:Maybe my idea of stylish is different than yours. I am not sure that I understand the "style" piece of it because that is subjective IMO.

So you can't tell the difference from an 10-week old Britt and a Cocker.... Now I'm impressed!!!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:33 pm

..now stop making fun of me
Cyberbully

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Chukar12 wrote:..now stop making fun of me
Cyberbully
Nice! Good job weedhopper.
Dan

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:39 pm

UpNorthHuntin wrote:
Wyndancer wrote:

So you can't tell the difference from an 10-week old Britt and a Cocker.... Now I'm impressed!!!

At least Dan was close, They're both in the Spaniel family... :twisted: ....
Tom

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:At least Dan was close, They're both in the Spaniel family... :twisted: ....
C'Mon... Not since 1982:)

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Yeah buddy...That's the spirit Tom!
Dan

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm

vartz04 wrote:Does anyone just bird hunt anymore? Or are all of you guys trialers
I think you will find that most folks here are avid hunters, some like to trial and test as well.

You can't really argue about hunting I mean heck its all good. But we can dang sure argue about best breed, best style/application, and what venue is best!

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Winglish wrote:

Great duck dogs are quiet, patient, and calm. They sit quietly at heel for hours on end, scanning the sky for incoming ducks or resting until sent for a swim. Surely you have seen a string of pointers waiting on a chain at a trial? Did the words quiet, patient, and calm come to mind? I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, but come on...These temperaments are also, as a general rule, mutually exclusive.

Pick your poison. Some people breed for the middle and that's a good place to be for MOST hunters.
I was nodding my head in agreement until I got to this post.

You obviously have no idea what a chain gang is used for and why dogs behave the way they do in it.

If I met you in a duck blind and you first met my dog you would never guess he had vocal cords or any energy at all.
If I met you on the edge of one of our upland grounds you would tell me he wouldnt be any good in a duck blind because he is screaming and bouncing around so much.

My point is you cant judge a dog for a duck blind at a field trial when the dogs are on a chain or visa versa. They know their jobs, with the proper training and experience you would never guess your calm duck blind dog is a Field Champion.

Wheres Yawallac when you need him. Hes got a couple of those EP that arent any good in the water and dont belong in as duck blind :roll: *note the sarcasm of that last sentence*

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Ryan, you aren't using your intelligence. :)

yawallac left this forum quite some time ago - I think he got tired of trying to use his intelligence.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:48 pm

RyanGSP wrote:
Winglish wrote:

Great duck dogs are quiet, patient, and calm. They sit quietly at heel for hours on end, scanning the sky for incoming ducks or resting until sent for a swim. Surely you have seen a string of pointers waiting on a chain at a trial? Did the words quiet, patient, and calm come to mind? I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, but come on...These temperaments are also, as a general rule, mutually exclusive.

Pick your poison. Some people breed for the middle and that's a good place to be for MOST hunters.
I was nodding my head in agreement until I got to this post.

You obviously have no idea what a chain gang is used for and why dogs behave the way they do in it.

If I met you in a duck blind and you first met my dog you would never guess he had vocal cords or any energy at all.
If I met you on the edge of one of our upland grounds you would tell me he wouldnt be any good in a duck blind because he is screaming and bouncing around so much.

My point is you cant judge a dog for a duck blind at a field trial when the dogs are on a chain or visa versa. They know their jobs, with the proper training and experience you would never guess your calm duck blind dog is a Field Champion.

Wheres Yawallac when you need him. Hes got a couple of those EP that arent any good in the water and dont belong in as duck blind :roll: *note the sarcasm of that last sentence*
It really is quite funny what little faith and credit people on here give these dogs. I have yet to own one of these dumb dogs most speak of. I don't know what kind of dogs you run but I enjoy a dog that has the brains to figure out when and where to turn it on. The pointer I had would sit on the chain at a trial and just look around and observe, but let her see me pull out the garmin and strap a whistle on and the tail got going. The low howl would come out and she knew we were going to work. I have a friend that has a shorthair that will sit in the boat all day and stare at the sky without a sound and then sounds like a "bleep" coon hound when ripping through the field after phez.

Guess it's just the dumb ones that can't figure out how to hunt different settings. In that case, no those should not be bred, ever!!!

Joe

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Very true. While old hat to the retrieving games, I don't have much experience at pointing dog trials. I'm learning.
Wheres Yawallac when you need him. Hes got a couple of those EP that arent any good in the water and dont belong in as duck blind *note the sarcasm of that last sentence*
I have seen Yawallac's pointers do water retrieves. They do a fine job. That's not the dog I want breaking ice this time of year. I'm pretty sure Yawallac does not want to have my Labrador running for him in his next quail run either, even though my Lab has every bit as impressive a pedigree as Yawallac's pointers. :wink:

A good dog is a good dog.
Last edited by Winglish on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Middlecreek

Post by Middlecreek » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Winglish,

Holy cow, you weren't kidding about the barrel chest in your dog. I just zoomed in on your avatar. Forgive my ignorance, but what breed of dog is that, it's built like a hog! How much does it weigh? You sure you don't have some of Ross's guard rail blood in that puppy? The mask looks a little familiar :lol: :lol:

FC/RU CH SM Queen High Flush (Abby) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3815
2xCH/2xruCH FC BDK's Sin City Wildcard (Deuce) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2269

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Winglish,

Holy cow, you weren't kidding about the barrel chest in your dog. I just zoomed in on your avatar. Forgive my ignorance, but what breed of dog is that, it's built like a hog! How much does it weigh? You sure you don't have some of Ross's guard rail blood in that puppy? The mask looks a little familiar :lol: :lol:
That is my daughter's service dog, a wirehaired pointing griffon. The dog is trained to sit by a child's side all day long, picking things up and handing them to her when requested. She is no FC for sure and would never be one even under Ross's experienced hands, but she can enter any public building or airplane in the United States of America. :)
Like Christmas and the flu, sometimes more than once per year is too much.

Middlecreek

Post by Middlecreek » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Winglish wrote:
Winglish,

That is my daughter's service dog, a wirehaired pointing griffon. The dog is trained to sit by a child's side all day long, picking things up and handing them to her when requested. She is no FC for sure and would never be one even under Ross's experienced hands, but she can enter any public building or airplane in the United States of America. :)
very cool, I would like to learn more about that... I'll do some research
FC/RU CH SM Queen High Flush (Abby) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3815
2xCH/2xruCH FC BDK's Sin City Wildcard (Deuce) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2269

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Winglish wrote:
Very true. While old hat to the retrieving games, I don't have much experience at pointing dog trials. I'm learning.
Would you believe that a bitch with a FC title bred to a NAFC sire produced a pup that was a Diabetic Detection Dog for a 6 year old girl - accompanied her everywhere she went. Someone forgot to tell the new owners that it would be impossible for such a pedigree to produce a dog capable of being that calm and attentive.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Would you believe that a bitch with a FC title bred to a NAFC sire produced a pup that was a Diabetic Detection Dog for a 6 year old girl - accompanied her everywhere she went. Someone forgot to tell the new owners that it would be impossible for such a pedigree to produce a dog capable of being that calm and attentive.
Amazing! Was this a pointer? Does the dog use its nose to detect blood sugar problems? A pointer would certainly have the nose for it, if any dog does.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Winglish wrote:
Amazing! Was this a pointer? Does the dog use its nose to detect blood sugar problems? A pointer would certainly have the nose for it, if any dog does.
Yes, they use their nose to detect low blood sugar levels.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:13 pm

No, it was a Brittany, and yes, they detect blood sugar levels by the odor the body gives off. The family was told to look at "hunting" breeds because of the acuity of their noses. They determined the Brittany was the "look" of dog they preferred. The mother trained the dog herself in conjunction with an agency that provides such service.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:24 pm

No, it was a Brittany, and yes, they detect blood sugar levels by the odor the body gives off. The family was told to look at "hunting" breeds because of the acuity of their noses. They determined the Brittany was the "look" of dog they preferred. The mother trained the dog herself in conjunction with an agency that provides such service.
That's awesome! Training a service dog kind of takes over your life, but when it's your own kid who needs help... :|

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 pm

slistoe wrote:No, it was a Brittany, and yes, they detect blood sugar levels by the odor the body gives off. The family was told to look at "hunting" breeds because of the acuity of their noses. They determined the Brittany was the "look" of dog they preferred. The mother trained the dog herself in conjunction with an agency that provides such service.
Diabetic odor is quite strong and my friends wife who's a nurse can sense it because she's been around it so much. No doubt she's got a good nose, surprisingly it's not extraordinarily large :D

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 am

Diabetic odor is quite strong and my friends wife who's a nurse can sense it because she's been around it so much. No doubt she's got a good nose, surprisingly it's not extraordinarily large :D
Does she run fast? Range? :lol:

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:10 am

Very short range but good ground pattern :D

JKP

Post by JKP » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:24 am

Games aside....only a VERY small % of dogs ever compete or get tested. IMO...the most important qualities of a dog are temperament (including "Liveability" the other 9 months of the year), trainability, desire and manners on game. That's what 90% of owners want...a dog that is easy to own, not too dificult to train and that gives him/her shooting opportunities. Not 1 owner in 1000 wants a dog 1/2 mile ahead of the gun or cares whether the tail is at 11 or 12 o:clock. A practical, useable, liveable dog....all the rest is "boy racers" having fun.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 pm

You can get trial dogs with great temperments that are easy to live with and train, won't go half a mile and present plenty of shooting opportunities.

JKP

Post by JKP » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:00 am

You can get trial dogs with great temperments that are easy to live with and train, won't go half a mile and present plenty of shooting opportunities.
I agree...they are to be found in many venues.