@$#&^& barbed wire!!

jwnissen

@$#&^& barbed wire!!

Post by jwnissen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 am

Need to vent, sorry. Seems like every time I take my shorthair out to run, she seems to cut herself on barbed wire. Anyone else have this problem? If they were big standard 3 wire fences it wouldnt be a problem but they are single wire fences and there is a lot of barbed wire on the ground. I have almost tripped on a couple of wires. I go to a different area every time and she still seems to find it. So far no serious injuries but she sliced in between her toes today, has punctures on all 4 feet and I am taking her to the trainer today. This is frustrating!!! :evil: This sucks!!!!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: @$#&^& barbed wire!!

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 pm

It is all over the sagebrush in the desert...I keep EMT Gel, a clotting compound, vet wrap and a stapler...

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Thank your stars it's not razor wire as we mostly see in our area. Regardless, it's pretty ridiculous and IMO irresponsible to leave this garbage down like that.
While I was in the army, we were always doing area patrols after training to ensure we left nothing. Some units/individuals are flat out lazy and have no regard for the safety of others (including animals)
Sorry, it's a frustrating topic for us. Well wishes to your dog, what a shame that we have to struggle to avoid so many man made hazards.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Have two staple kits in my med bag at all times. Haven't stapled mine yet but have stapled a few others that were sliced good. A bottle of Iodine is also a good thing to have in your kit. Wash it up and staple away. Then wrap and keep clean.

Joe

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 pm

KwikIrish wrote:Thank your stars it's not razor wire as we mostly see in our area. Regardless, it's pretty ridiculous and IMO irresponsible to leave this garbage down like that.
While I was in the army, we were always doing area patrols after training to ensure we left nothing. Some units/individuals are flat out lazy and have no regard for the safety of others (including animals)
Sorry, it's a frustrating topic for us. Well wishes to your dog, what a shame that we have to struggle to avoid so many man made hazards.
The practice in the last five years here has been the removal of all fence lines and farming every inch of dirt, fence lines are shelter, I appauld those individuals that are "to lazy" as you put it.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Chukar12 wrote:It is all over the sagebrush in the desert...I keep EMT Gel, a clotting compound, vet wrap and a stapler...

Man that looks nasty, i hope it looks worse than it is, i am lucky my dog hasnt got snagged up on that stuff yet, its all over where we hunt to,
God Bless

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 pm

nikegundog wrote:
KwikIrish wrote:Thank your stars it's not razor wire as we mostly see in our area. Regardless, it's pretty ridiculous and IMO irresponsible to leave this garbage down like that.
The practice in the last five years here has been the removal of all fence lines and farming every inch of dirt, fence lines are shelter, I appauld those individuals that are "to lazy" as you put it.
Military leaving razor wire down is ridiculously lazy and irresponsible. I won't ever think different.
Downed/unmanaged fence is a hazard. Rather see properly maintained fencing, which humans and animals alike can be aware of rather than tripping through some downed barbed wire. Pick your poison.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Chukar12 that is muscular britt, hope it was alright after this incident, fine lookin’ dog though.

To everyone: How do you go about using the stapler?

***Edit*** Where's the best place to buy this stuff.... EMT Gel, a clotting compound, vet wrap and a stapler?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:52 pm

He was fine...it cut his, lips, cheek and tongue mostly just places that produce a ton of blood...

You can get it from
Gun Dog Supply
Lion Country Supply
Cabela's
Dr.'s Foster and Smith

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:59 pm

I hate barbed wire. The military do not leave it lying around here but the farmers do. They have a habit of seeing that their old barbed wire fence is getting a bit dilapitated so they leave the old fence in place and erect a new fence 2 - 4 feet away from it. When going for wounded pheasants my dogs try to jump both fences at the same time . One of my cockers has barbed wire scars and scabbed over wounds all over him.

Two of the estates I work my dogs on have fields separated from woodlands by the original but now tumbledown drystane dyke with saggy barbed wire fences 2 feet away from it on both sides. These fences are a nightmare and are completely unneccessary as only sheep are ever kept in those fields. There are no cattle on either estate.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Chukar12 wrote:He was fine...it cut his, lips, cheek and tongue mostly just places that produce a ton of blood...

You can get it from
Gun Dog Supply
Lion Country Supply
Cabela's
Dr.'s Foster and Smith
Are you sure that was barb wire? Mine get like that quite regularly from the bushes that will stab you - rose thicket, hawthorne etc.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:26 pm

slistoe wrote:Are you sure that was barb wire? Mine get like that quite regularly from the bushes that will stab you - rose thicket, hawthorne etc.
I am certain, it was all over the edge of ancient cleared alfalfa field in the sage. He just got tangled up in it working singles on a valley quail covey flush. We get a lot of puncture wounds from the thicket, the wire always seems to be a rip.

bmcox86

Post by bmcox86 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:36 pm

It's everywhere I hunt also, all the feel free to hunt areas have it. Even spools of it laying on the edges rusting away. My dog hasn't had any bad cuts so far but he did do a front flip over a fence line and landed on his back. I also got tangled in some laying on the ground and ate dirt, luckily I didn't get hurt but I did rip my favorite hunting pants!

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:30 pm

pretty common in my area. Years ago much of the land just wasn't productive enough to farm so it was used for pastures. As farming practices got more advanced many farmers gave up on cattle and just concentrated on crops. Generally the fences were just left in place and even when the land sold the new owners generally didn't monkey with it. I worry about my springers cause they tend to fly right through the stuff.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:33 pm

I have tried teaching her to wait for me to stretch the fence open for her to get through but nooooo she just goes charging through...

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Lucy will not cross a fence unless I'm there. Sometimes it's a PITA, but she will never get cut by wire. She doesn't have feet problems either..........

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 pm

brad27 wrote:Lucy will not cross a fence unless I'm there. Sometimes it's a PITA, but she will never get cut by wire. She doesn't have feet problems either..........
How did you teach her that? Or did she figure it out on her own? My problem is that there is no fences, just single wires strung up about chest hi on a shorthair and a lot more on the ground. Might be different if she felt pain and learned that the barbed wire meant pain!!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 pm

jwnissen wrote:
brad27 wrote:Lucy will not cross a fence unless I'm there. Sometimes it's a PITA, but she will never get cut by wire. She doesn't have feet problems either..........
How did you teach her that? Or did she figure it out on her own? My problem is that there is no fences, just single wires strung up about chest hi on a shorthair and a lot more on the ground. Might be different if she felt pain and learned that the barbed wire meant pain!!
She never needed to figure it out. She's never hit a fence or single wire or wire on the ground. The place I train has plenty of wire. The places I've hunted have wire fences. She also doesn't hit cactus. For some reason she just knows to avoid those things.

admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 am

Relevant sponsor links from Steve and the folks at Gun Dog Supply who keep the lights on at the GDF:
http://www.gundogsupply.com/firstaid.html
http://www.gundogsupply.com/emtgel.html
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 pm

This was us just a couple days ago. I think you are right about being attracted to the barbwire (MAGNETIC).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.