Hawks and puppies.

Stoneface

Hawks and puppies.

Post by Stoneface » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:12 am

When we lived in California one of the lady's I did agility with had a Rat Terrier that was picked off by a hawk when she let him out to use the bathroom. I guess it happened while she was standing at the door watching him. Ever since then it has scared the heck out of me to let little dogs or puppies out of the house before they are very old. Even when I bring pups home in the city limits, we have an owl in the neighborhood so I stay close by.

For those who breed or deal with puppies often, do you ever have an issue with this? When you take your puppies out for happy timing at eight, ten or twelve weeks, do you ever fret over hawks or birds of prey?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

zachz

Re: Hawks and puppies.

Post by zachz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:58 am

That's funny you mention this, I had a neighbor who since moved but they fed birds and squirrels religiously year round. The hawks caught on espicially in winter and would perch in the trees waiting for their chance. I had a few litters of pups and would always be on the lookout for the opportunistic hawks, never left them outside alone even for a second to get a bowl of water or whatever. For insurance I would also take my son fully auto air soft AR15 and sweep the trees when there were leaves on them, LOL.... :lol:

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 am

I read a story in the paper a while back about a bald eagle nest that had fallen to the ground and it had 51 dog/cat collars in it. I believe it was over by Detroit Lakes or Perham MN, somewhere out that way. Kinda crazy.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:32 am

I always worry about eagles. They are getting over stocked around here. I think hawks would be a stretch. Can't think of much worse than watching your pup fly away in a eagles claws. Cj

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:30 am

We have more of a issue with owls andthey try even if your next to the dog.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:43 am

I thought about it this morning...... I have two in the tree next door right now. But its cold and my pup just wants to pee and run back inside.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:17 am

I worry more about coyotes with my two puppies. I even worry about coyotes with my wifes lap dog. Dang coyotes get pretty brave and pretty desperate when it get cold out.

A hawk would be a stretch with anything but a very very small puppy.

BMURPH

Post by BMURPH » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:27 am

I had a litter of eleven this spring running around. Red Tails and Coopers always hanging around trying to get the pigeons. Never gave it any thought. Had two puppies that I kept running around the yard that were now three months old. Standing out playing with them I watched a Red Tail swope down and try to get one of the puppies. The pup swung around with the hawk at the last minute flair off. Could not have been a foot away. The pup gave chase and put the hawk up in a tree with it staying there for about 30 minutes just watching. I'm sure if the pup would have been smaller it would have been dead. From now on I will not just turn puppies loose in the yard without me standing there. The coopers deal me a fit with the pigeons. Picking them off with me standing there not able to do anything but call my birds in trying to get them put up.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:04 am

They pick my birds off and I shoot them. I've never worried about my pups though. I don't give a crap what anyone says, they are predators and I deal with them accordingly just like I do with coyotes or Mt. Lions. . Shoot, shovel, shut up.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:13 am

I came home from work years ago and my wife told me about a Redtail that tried to get a pup. Pup was big enough it couldn't lift him. She went over and chased off the hawk and the pup made a bee line for the house. She didn't kill it, I would have! We have way to many of the around here.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:29 am

Edited so no one goes to jail
Last edited by bb560m on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:02 am

I just thought I'd mention that shooting an eagle, hawk, or owl is a violation of federal law (migratory bird treaty act MBTA). As a federal biologist I'll tell ya I really don't think it's smart to discuss killing these birds or advocate killing them on this forum, regardless of your personal opinions. I agree that losing a pup would be a terrible thing but poaching is poaching. For your information:

Penalties for violations of the MBTA can go up to $15,000 and 6 months imprisonment for common violations. The sale or barter of migratory birds is a felony with penalties up to $500,000 and 2 years imprisonment. Some raptors, such as the bald eagle, are also protected under the Endangered Species Act, and both the bald and golden eagles are also protected under the Eagle Act.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:24 am

Gertie wrote:I just thought I'd mention that shooting an eagle, hawk, or owl is a violation of federal law (migratory bird treaty act MBTA). As a federal biologist I'll tell ya I really don't think it's smart to discuss killing these birds or advocate killing them on this forum, regardless of your personal opinions. I agree that losing a pup would be a terrible thing but poaching is poaching. For your information:

Penalties for violations of the MBTA can go up to $15,000 and 6 months imprisonment for common violations. The sale or barter of migratory birds is a felony with penalties up to $500,000 and 2 years imprisonment. Some raptors, such as the bald eagle, are also protected under the Endangered Species Act, and both the bald and golden eagles are also protected under the Eagle Act.
What if you yell "it's coming right for us" and you are afraid for your life.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Here is a video I shot just a few weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=45 ... =2&theater
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:They pick my birds off and I shoot them. I've never worried about my pups though. I don't give a crap what anyone says, they are predators and I deal with them accordingly just like I do with coyotes or Mt. Lions. . Shoot, shovel, shut up.
That makes you a poacher and that should be delt with

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:35 pm

bb560m wrote:
Gertie wrote:I just thought I'd mention that shooting an eagle, hawk, or owl is a violation of federal law (migratory bird treaty act MBTA). As a federal biologist I'll tell ya I really don't think it's smart to discuss killing these birds or advocate killing them on this forum, regardless of your personal opinions. I agree that losing a pup would be a terrible thing but poaching is poaching. For your information:

What if you yell "it's coming right for us" and you are afraid for your life.
That would be justification enough..... Unless its a mountain lion in California you should be fine with killing it to protect your life and property.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:37 pm

I know of a birddogger who got into a major mess from ordering her kennel help trainer person to kill hawks. She was prosecuted by the feds and wound up paying a huge fine ( in the five figures) and also was required to run full page ads in some publications fessing up and telling about the consequences. So be careful...ya never know who's watching.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 pm

When my pups were 6 or 7 weeks I had all 9 out one the evening before bed time, while I was standing on the patio watching them an owl caught my attention as it came swooping down towards them. My yelling and momma dog giving chase sent it back to the trees. After that I put up an x-pen with netting over the top to let them out in the evening and only gave them full run of the yard during the day if someone was out with them.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 am

Sorry but it a hawk or owl is threatening my fowl, pup or pups it will die. I'll be glad to take it to court and plead my case and/or pay the fine if need be. But I won't sit back a let a hawk pic off pup(s) or fowl.

"oh, but it's against the law" you say . Wel, so is speeding and drinking and driving but I'll bet everyone of you has done one of those a time or two in your life!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:24 am

Those hawks are not stupid. When we go to the club to work birds, there is one side that most use to fly chukar and shoot. We are not allowed to shoot quail. I took the pup out last weekend with a few pigeons, and when I pulled over to that side i watched 4 hawks fly over and land in the trees. They had every angle cut off. "bleep" near looked like the military setting up. Couldn't believe it.

I know there have been at least three little dogs snatched out of the backyards over by the WMA in Jersey. They were all taken by yotes. The owners watched them dash out of the woods and grab their dogs. We try to take out as many as possible but we seem to be getting more and more. Wasn't until the last three years we started hearing of more and more sightings.

Joe

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 am

duckn66 wrote:Sorry but it a hawk or owl is threatening my fowl, pup or pups it will die. I'll be glad to take it to court and plead my case and/or pay the fine if need be. But I won't sit back a let a hawk pic off pup(s) or fowl.

"oh, but it's against the law" you say . Wel, so is speeding and drinking and driving but I'll bet everyone of you has done one of those a time or two in your life!
poachers should lose there right to hunt just like you lose the right to drive when you get caught drinking and driving.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 am

Johng918 wrote:
duckn66 wrote:Sorry but it a hawk or owl is threatening my fowl, pup or pups it will die. I'll be glad to take it to court and plead my case and/or pay the fine if need be. But I won't sit back a let a hawk pic off pup(s) or fowl.

poachers should lose there right to hunt just like you lose the right to drive when you get caught drinking and driving.
Go hug a tree.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:09 am

duckn66 wrote:
Johng918 wrote:

Go hug a tree.
it's people like you that make it harder for the law abiding hunters you should not even be allowed to own a animal.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Johng918 wrote:it's people like you that make it harder for the law abiding hunters you should not even be allowed to own a animal.
So a hawk comes for one of your puppies - what do you do - ask it nicely to fly away?

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:51 pm

bb560m wrote:
Johng918 wrote:it's people like you that make it harder for the law abiding hunters you should not even be allowed to own a animal.
So a hawk comes for one of your puppies - what do you do - ask it nicely to fly away?
for the most part when I have pups out one of the older dogs is out with it and if it's Small enough to get taken by a hawk which is not often I stay close to it. If your pup is in a position to be taken it's your fault not the hawks.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Johng918 wrote:
bb560m wrote:
for the most part when I have pups out one of the older dogs is out with it and if it's Small enough to get taken by a hawk which is not often I stay close to it. If your pup is in a position to be taken it's your fault not the hawks.
You didn't answer the question.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Been around for a long time and have never seem or even heard of a hawk taking a puppy. I can see where it would be possible for some of the small toy breeds but it would be near impossible for a hawk.. An eagle yeah but a hawk ...............

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:18 pm

So a hawk comes for one of your puppies - what do you do - ask it nicely to fly away?[/quote]
for the most part when I have pups out one of the older dogs is out with it and if it's Small enough to get taken by a hawk which is not often I stay close to it. If your pup is in a position to be taken it's your fault not the hawks.[/quote]
You didn't answer the
No,I would not kill a hawk and like I said before I do not put puppies in the position to be taken.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Lets face it, whether you kill a hawk or not, it is just plain stupid to get on a forum and brag about it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.