Please ID this Puppy

Jmackk

Please ID this Puppy

Post by Jmackk » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey Y'all,

I was hopping you guys could help me ID my puppy. I got him at 7 weeks, and now that he is 5 months old. I am starting to question his breeding. Both parents are supposedly registered AKC German Wirehaired Pointer and the litter was also registered GWP. He has LOTS of hair (particularly around his face - he's had a beard since we brought him home at 7 weeks), he doesn't shed at all, is super friendly, and very intelligent. He currently weighs 30 pounds, he had a slow start due to a possible food allergy. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think, I am starting to think he is Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mtlhdr

Re: Please ID this Puppy

Post by mtlhdr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Try versatiledogs.com, lots of griff folks over there.

Handsome pup...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 pm

I posted the pic on the Canadian versatile site; I'll post what they think.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm

I could see where you might be wondering Griff but why is it you do not think it is a GWP? Personally, I have seen a wide variety of coats within the breed.

All papers aside, he's a handsome little sucker!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Hahaha thanks guys, I could not tell you guys how many people compliment him on his looks (wish they said the same about me :mrgreen: ) The main reason I question it is 1) He does not shed. GWP's are supposed to shed and WPG's dont at least to my understanding. 2) Every thing I have read says that GWP's can be reserved with strangers while WPG's like everyone and lets just say that "stranger danger" is NOT in his vocab..... at all!! 3) his coat. The coats on the GWPs are relativly "flat" especially around the ears and his hair is just a dang mess :mrgreen: :mrgreen: like a WPG. All this is info I have come across over the last few days, this guy is my first GWP...or WPG so Im not an expert quite yet. Hahaha but either way the little guy is AWSOME, could not be happier. But I just want to make sure I know what I have, I think it important. thanks again guys

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:58 am

There are a lot of GWPs that have the appearance of a WPG. As previously stated, there is a large range in GWP coats and I've been surprised at times. WPGs also have an equally wide range in coats. Heck, I've even seen a couple that could almost pass for a GSP.

If you are happy with him, why worry. BTW...WPGs DO SHED.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:40 am

As already said WPG do shed, either way you got a great looking pup. Hope you turns into a great hunter for you.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 am

looks like a gwp to me with a long coat whats the breeding
cc

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:35 am

The Griffon played a part in creating the GWP and to this day you will see dogs who resemble a Griff from the coat to body type. In one litter you might see a puppy like yours, a puppy with no coat that will look very much like a GSP and great coats.

Is that a good coat for a GWP? No, too long, too open. But it happens. I have a bitch that looks a lot like yours, bad coat. Her brother has a drop dead beautiful perfect coat. Only two puppies in the litter.

Learn to strip the coat, and you should be able to make it better/easier to live with. Word to the wise, if you clipper it the coat will only get worse and you will have to clip it forever. And all dogs shed...just differently. I find the longer/softer coated GWPs shed less then a shorter smoother coat, but they all drop hair. Just not like a Lab or Shepard sheds.

Enjoy!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks Fuzz!!

Like i said this is my first GWP so Im learning new things every day. I had no idea they could have so many different coat lengths, guess Ill gave to start reading up on stripping coats.

And his Dads Sire is On Points Baron Von Scout A'roue and Dam is Smoke Creek's Anna I dont have any info on mom yet, still trying to get it.

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Ok guys I just tried "stripping him" and I cant get any hair off him. Even when I brush him nothing comes out on the brush. His coat is also supper soft like babys hair, there is a little bit of a rough coat on his belly and even less along his back. HAHAHAH did I get a defective one lol :mrgreen: Honestly no matter how goofy he may look, he is crazy smart and a "bleep" good dog. Im totally impressed by him and can not wait to get him in the field.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 am

Jmackk wrote:Ok guys I just tried "stripping him" and I cant get any hair off him. Even when I brush him nothing comes out on the brush. His coat is also supper soft like babys hair, there is a little bit of a rough coat on his belly and even less along his back. HAHAHAH did I get a defective one lol :mrgreen: Honestly no matter how goofy he may look, he is crazy smart and a "bleep" good dog. Im totally impressed by him and can not wait to get him in the field.
Did you just brush him with a wire brush? That wont get much out. Try youtube and search stripping dog coat, or something along those lines. I'm sure there's gotta be an instructional video for show folks.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:26 am

You will need a knife made to strip coat. His hair will coarsen as he matures and gets his grown-up coat. On thing that some terrier people do for utility, not show, is to scissor with thinning shears. We also use thinning shears on Aussies to tidy up their "pants."
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:27 am

Here is a grooming article on my blog page
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/sear ... l/Grooming

Here's the thing with Wire coats..... it won't come out till it's ready to come out. The softer the coat, the harder it can be to pull down correctly. You will need some special tools to make it easier, or get your self a flea type of comb with very tight teeth. This will help removed dead undercoat and help the coat lie flatter.

There are a couple of you tube videos on stripping terriers, and those will help give you an idea.

There is also a tool called a Coat King. It can help make this easier, but it does cut the coat to a degree so I only use it along with stripping. Strip some, Coat king some....
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:54 am

Jmack,
Where are you located?
I am uploading a picture from my tack box that I use.
On the left is a mars coat king, middle is a stripping stone and the right is a fine stripping knife and a course knife.
The coat king is used like a comb or brush
The stones are held in your hand, and you can either brush it along their body and it will pull hairs or use it in your hand and pinch hair in your thumb and pull, allowing about half of the hair to escape and half to be removed.
The course knife would be your preference in knives. They are not useful run perpendicular (90 deg) to the body but at about a 30-45 degree angle to be effective. Use a long stroak on the body, remove hair from knife, and repeat!
One good long session and regular maintenance will be easy peasy and good bonding time!!
Edit to add pic of knives, somehow I can't see the while origional pic.
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... 63D71D.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... 6F18F1.jpg
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Sharon wrote:I posted the pic on the Canadian versatile site; I'll post what they think.
The consensus is a "Griff" but who cares - they're pretty closely related.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:33 pm

Sharon wrote:
Sharon wrote:I posted the pic on the Canadian versatile site; I'll post what they think.
The consensus is a "Griff" but who cares - they're pretty closely related.
And both great breeds!

Corry

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:51 pm

I checked out the pedigree of your pup, its a German Wirehair Pointer with a long coat. Smoke Creek dogs usually have longer coats, my Casey had a long coat just like that. She was also the best Wirehair i've ever owned. I think you should just enjoy your pup. Happy NewYear!
CC

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 pm

cohanzick creek that is a BIG 10-4, he is only 5 month old is I can already say he is amazing.

KwikIrish, the girlfriend has some of that same stuff at her barn with the horses so she should be able to bring all that stuff home. And, we are in Phoenix AZ.

Happy New Year Everyone

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 pm

My friend Doug Deats has a GWP that has that same coat. I thought his was a griffon too but nope GWP.

cptn

Post by cptn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Regardless, beautiful dog!
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm

I've seen many GWP's that look like that while they have littermates with a very tight and coarse coat.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm

That little guy couldn't be cuter. Good luck with him!

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 pm

He sure looks handsome!

Enjoy all of him & happy hunting.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Jmackk, I have been researching your pups pedigree. I found more on the mothers side then i have on the fathers side. Ive gone back about seven generations. You'd be surprised the dogs behind your pup. If you ever want a pedigree let me know.
cc

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have not responded I have been down for the count. Charlie has been getting bigger and bigger (around 38lbs), the GF thinks he is a slow grower, lol. Any opinions on that or do I just tell her that yes she is right... that way I dont have to sleep in the dog house lol (never prove the woman wrong).

CC, the sire and dam I posted above are Charlie's grand parents (his sire's parents). Charlie's sire is just registered as Bisket.......ya I know, thats what I said.

Charlie's dam is named Delilah.....again I know. Her sire and dam are unknown. Delilah comes up on the AKC registry but I can not pull her pedigree and I can not get a hold of the seller. Do you have any way of pulling Delilah's pedigree? I know you have a bag of tricks to work with.

Thanks guy for all your help, so far at almost 6 month old I can say he has the best personality of any dog I have been around. This little guy is a retrieving fiend, all day every day, he does not have an off switch and he has started pointing on his own (soooo cool). I just need to heal up so I can get him in the field, thanks again!

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Jmackk, okay i got it, the sire is from Copper Canyon. I Dont have Delilah in my database. You might have to get a 3rd generation pedigree from AKC, or find out for me who her mother and father are. Then i can give you a more profficent pedigree than that. I always give at least a 5th generation pedigree on my pups. I Beleive that is a breeders responsibility, but then again thats just me. Anyhow i have the fathers pedigree, which is a little sketchy, but i can get it back to around 7 generations. We'll see what we can do.
CC