Need help with RECALL

Mstng_ray

Need help with RECALL

Post by Mstng_ray » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi everyone. Need some help or trix from you guys. My pup is now 5 months and smart as heck. But I'm having trouble getting her to come to the truck when it's time to go home. ( I don't blame her I would stay out in the hills too) but when mama calls we gotta go. She will COME Everytime at home in the yard or house. But once we go hunting and I call her to the truck to leave she will ignore my calls. I always have a nice treat from her once she does and I can grab her. But it's a pain in the butt calling her over and over. Give me some tips please.

Doc E

Re: Need help with RECALL

Post by Doc E » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Breed of dog ?
Obedience training so far ? (methods -- training program0

If the dog is a Lab, it's time for 'ecollar to HERE'.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:45 pm

My 9 year old setter seems able to sense when I am thinking of going back to the van. and likes to diappear for another half hour. I now leash her before I turn to go back. ( In all other situations she comes immediately, but I wouldn't trade her desire to "keep hunting' for anything. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Fester

Post by Fester » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm

More yard work you still have a pup don't give a command you can't reinforce, have patients, don't give the here command in a situation where you know full well it's not gonna work
Fester

Fester

Post by Fester » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:38 pm

OK here is the part some of you don't agree with treat = shallow reinforcement grab her = trick she will learn fast
Fester

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Check cord get her to %100 understand the comand over lay it to ecollar. She is about the right age to do so. Feel free to PM me if you need need

benelli

Post by benelli » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 pm

When we let our GSP out to run (he's 9 months old and although he's great with the recall when he's on the check cord or in the yard, he's not so great if he's out running), I stay away from the van and wait for him to stop by to say hi, and then I leash him and load him up. We're working on the e-collar, but until I know he understands that I absolutely don't try calling him over to me if I don't know he'll come. Often the best way to get him to come around is to quietly move in the opposite direction (which is tough since I always have a toddler with me), so then he comes looking for me - but make sure you're in an area where it won't matter how far away he gets from you (no roads or anything like that).

But I'm definitely no expert (as evidenced by the fact that I have a 9-month-old dog who still doesn't recall reliably) - but one big thing I've learned on this forum is that you DON'T want to call a dog repeatedly and just hope he'll happen to decide to want to come. You don't want him to think that he has any option but to come running to you when you call "here."

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Don't go on runs with out a check cord.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 pm

How do you transfer from the check cord to no check cord though? My pup will recall fine with a cord, but not without it.

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:04 pm

dreamerofdreams wrote:How do you transfer from the check cord to no check cord though? My pup will recall fine with a cord, but not without it.
Time to overlay the e collar with the check cord. I establish two LOW nicks means here, at same time I give the tug command, they quickly learn it means the same thing. Nice to not have to scream here if the dog is out a ways when to light raps Q's the dog for here. Once the que is established the correction w the e collar is clearly understood.