Ferrel Miller

duckn66

Re: Ferrel Miller

Post by duckn66 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 am

This is all very interesting to me. Keep it rolling in!

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

So Wehle gets a free pass on never having falsified papers on a dog? Interesting.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:54 am

I feel like Ross is posting under another name.... Gauge1.

:)
Ray that was a very interesting read. Thanks for posting that.

fieldtrialcentral

Post by fieldtrialcentral » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:10 pm

One thing anyone who has any first hand knowledge will tell you is that Ferrel worked harder than anyone else....bar none. When Ferrel came to the prairie he worked every dog everyday, then did the same back home when not trialing. Many pros will tell you that you can't work em as much as Ferrel did without them "getting sour" or getting injured or some other reason, but if a dog couldn't make it working the way Ferrel worked them, then they were not his kind of All Age Dogs. There is a reason why the line of dogs is the best all age competitors around and that most likely is that only the very best, toughest, smartest, best bird dogs were kept and bred.

" No offense to Ross but 10 years from now he will likely have disappeared from the American Field scene"

I would think this statement has much truth to it.

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Big Dave wrote:So Wehle gets a free pass on never having falsified papers on a dog? Interesting.
+1

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Gauge, Ross is a nice guy and I hear his Jack dog is the real deal for sure, but I'm plenty confident in my ability to train and have never enjoyed working for professional dog trainers in the past. Thanks for the thought, though!
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Big Dave wrote:So Wehle gets a free pass on never having falsified papers on a dog? Interesting.
Yes I actually think he does. He was charging four to six times what ANYBODY else charged for a puppy....waaaaay back in the sixties. AND he had buyers lining up for his dogs. If you don't think that got a whole lot of folks' shorts in a bunch, you are sadly mistaken. He PO'ed a whole lot of folks. He was also a VERY arrogant and self assured individual with more money than you could shake a stick at. Nobody much likes an arrogant rich guy who is also VERY successful.

One - as noted, he did not need to cheat and two- if he HAD cheated, someone almost certainly would have blown the whistle on him out of jealousy or just to knock him off his high horse.

I am actually not a fan of either person( or either pure strain of dogs actually). I do respect their accomplishments and what each did for the breed, but that is where it stops for me.

RayG

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Yes I actually think he does. He was charging four to six times what ANYBODY else charged for a puppy....waaaaay back in the sixties. AND he had buyers lining up for his dogs. If you don't think that got a whole lot of folks' shorts in a bunch, you are sadly mistaken. He PO'ed a whole lot of folks. He was also a VERY arrogant and self assured individual with more money than you could shake a stick at. Nobody much likes an arrogant rich guy who is also VERY successful.

One - as noted, he did not need to cheat and two- if he HAD cheated, someone almost certainly would have blown the whistle on him out of jealousy or just to knock him off his high horse.

I am actually not a fan of either person( or either pure strain of dogs actually). I do respect their accomplishments and what each did for the breed, but that is where it stops for me.

RayG
Ray, you are forgetting that he was long since out of the competition arena when mandatory DNA came around - so really, who will ever know?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:44 pm

The topic is Ferrel Miller. Those of you who have nothing to say except about someone else need to start another topic and not clutter this one. It would also be good if you post about the topic and not what other members on here think.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Stoneface, Mr Miller has a video out called common sense dog training. Also he did a animal planet tv show when the English pointers were featured. I have seen both and there's a reason why he can gather a dog like no other.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Lets remember too some of Wehle's best dogs were outcrosses , with miller blood in them , tho Wehle would have never admitted it. :lol:

See Hook's bounty hunter and Dunn's fearless bud.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:06 pm

I was lucky growing up around here Ferrell lives about 30 miles from here we alll had Miller Chief dogs Silver Bullet dogs and what ever, I would imagine he could have handled the registry differntly and still been affilliated, I think after he sold the dogs over seas to the asian ppl he could care less, but I will tell you 1 thing he was good to me fair and helpful to my friends, half my neighbors still deer hunt on his place now, if you want to know what is going on with Ferrell call him up and ask him he lives in Lynn Grove Ky
Fester

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:27 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Ferrel Miller was and is a gifted breeder of pointers. He was and is a gifted trainer and handler...as good as the best of the pros. He beat them regularly. That is why someone poisoned one of his dogs. Incidentally Ed Husser, a pro himself, also had one of his best dogs poisoned, South Chief Bluduck was the dog's name, as I recall.

The Open all age game has had some really scummy folks in their midst.

The misrepresentation of pointer dog pedigrees was rampant in the days before DNA...in some circles it was common practice to falsify the pedigree so that other folks could not reproduce the same results as the champion dog. Again...scummy folks.

Probably the only major pointer breeder who did not falsify papers or deal with those who did was Whele, because he did not have to.

It should be known that the DNA fiasco was not the first time Mr. Miller was involved in, and found guilty of cheating. He was found to have conducted a "phone trial", which is an advertised trial which never actually takes place, but for which winners were submitted to the Am. Field. A select group of "competitors" were included in the phony "phone" trial and all of them knew what was going on. If any other folks called in to enter, they would be told the trial was full.

I think most can make a pretty good guess as to the identities of that select group of competitors.

This sort of thing is done to qualify dogs and to "build" their win records. He is a confirmed, documented cheat and what was done with Mr. Wiggins and Mr. Miller's champion stud dog was NOT a mistake. It was a calculated attempt to make a blue hen out of a brood female.

In my opinion, every single member of the "company", should have been banned for life from field trials because there is no way they all did not know about what was going on. You are known by the company you keep and when you hang with cheats and crooks....

But then, the majority of the best Miller dogs being bred for field trials would likely have been destroyed and that, in the long run, would not have been good for the breed or for field trials.

RayG
Wow.I don't understand how one could get any pleasure from winning if they cheated.
PS I don't think we should discuss Ross' business on here.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Gauge1

Post by Gauge1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm

When money is involved people will do what ever it takes to make money and sometimes you are looking at $25k+ dogs sell few of them in a year and you are banking pretty good.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks, Got. I watched the segment of Breed All About It about ten years ago. It was a short segment, but impressive. I just bought Common Sense and got it last night. I really liked how imperfect his kennels were. Nothing fancy, but the dogs had more room than a lot of folks give them and they were plenty clean.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Gauge, Not sure who you are??? I kind of agree with with Ron......I have wondered if you are Ross stirring the pot. I kind of know Ross.....I bought a daughter of Guard Rail from him last summer.

I have seen Caladens Rail Hawk, and he is a very nice dog but he will be competing against a lot of very nice dogs. Ill give him a 1 in 30 chance of winning this year. Even if he does win if feel Ross is a few generations away from having his own "line of dogs".

How many generations do you feel you need to have your own "LINE OF DOGS"?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:Gauge, Not sure who you are??? I kind of agree with with Ron......I have wondered if you are Ross stirring the pot. I kind of know Ross.....I bought a daughter of Guard Rail from him last summer.

I have seen Caladens Rail Hawk, and he is a very nice dog but he will be competing against a lot of very nice dogs. Ill give him a 1 in 30 chance of winning this year. Even if he does win if feel Ross is a few generations away from having his own "line of dogs".

Five generations of breeding consistent results is what is usually considered necessary for a new breed or a documented outcross with a return to type (like they did in the UK with boxers and corgis), so I'd say that's a fair number for a "line."
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:Gauge, Not sure who you are??? I kind of agree with with Ron......I have wondered if you are Ross stirring the pot. I kind of know Ross.....I bought a daughter of Guard Rail from him last summer.

Seven is normally recognized as what it takes to breed true. But a certain line in dogs that already re established could be claimed once you have bred them long enough to actually produce something unique. Pretty hard to do today.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tn red

Post by tn red » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:28 pm

This is the funniest thing i've read in awhile. Talk about gossip, like Fester said pick up the phone & call.

cmc274

Ferrel Miller

Post by cmc274 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 pm

tn red wrote:This is the funniest thing i've read in awhile. Talk about gossip, like Fester said pick up the phone & call.
I chalk it up to the funniest thing I've ever read on the Internet. I got side stitches reading it.