How to keep pheasant for taxidermist

wems2371
GDF Junkie

How to keep pheasant for taxidermist

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm sending a wood duck off to the taxidermist, but don't have the money right now to send off a really nice rooster my husband shot on Saturday. It's been refridgerated and needs to go into the freezer asap, and I'll have it mounted some time this coming summer, when the budget is there. Any good suggestions for preserving it?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: How to keep phez for taxidermist

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Bread bag

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Are you wrapping anything for moisture, like paper towels or newspaper, or just sliding it in the bag, tieing it off at the tail, and calling it good?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm

wems2371 wrote:Are you wrapping anything for moisture, like paper towels or newspaper, or just sliding it in the bag, tieing it off at the tail, and calling it good?
Just slide it in and tie it off. I did that for three of them, been a long time, but I believe they were in the freezer for about 5 months before going in. I'm no expert by any means, but that method worked for me, and they fit in perfect.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:50 pm

put it in a pantyhouse then wrap it in newspaper. I got all excited, I figured you had shot your first rooster :(

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Plus 1 on the pantyhose. Thats the way they like it keeps feathers in place. Plus its fun trying to get them from the wife

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Just had a visit at the taxidermist Saturday. Smooth the feathers gently and then freeze in zip lock freezer bags, double bagging it. He said birds are quick to freezer burn and that I had around 6 months to get them back to him.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:58 pm

The one we had done we wrapped in newspaper, not sure its the best way but it worked for us.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:13 pm

hustonmc wrote:put it in a pantyhouse then wrap it in newspaper. I got all excited, I figured you had shot your first rooster :(
Nope, shot 2x at it and missed. Husband played clean up and got it. Less than 10 minutes later my dog stuck a point. I took two shots on that one and missed. I got gopro video of that one and think I'm too far behind on my shot. 100' later and she stuck another one, and I was stoked and ready. As luck would have it, It turned out to be a cripple rooster, with no tail, and couldn't fly...just a runner that she retrieved. I think that's 6-7 rooster shots I've missed. :x

Thanks for the help guys. Good suggestions and I'll get it in the freezer tonite.

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:20 pm

hustonmc wrote:put it in a pantyhouse then wrap it in newspaper. I got all excited, I figured you had shot your first rooster :(
+2

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Make sure you keep the tail straight..It can freeze dry twisted,hard for the taxidermist to straighten..Most of the time the bird will get moved in the freezer too.
Most taxidermist will keep the bird ,just tell him when you are ready to pick it up and square up..I skin the bird and get ready for the mount,lay it flat in the freezer
in a double up freezer bags to I'm ready to mount...saves room

You also can put cotton balls in the mouth with pantyhose ,but freezer bags are better than newspaper...Blood will drain out in the kneehigh and make a mess
The cotton balls soak up the blood and other drainage.

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Pantyhose and news paper will work short term up to 6 months. But I get the biggest ziplock bag that he will fit in comfortably, lay him in and fill with water. Make sure his feet and head are under water and freeze to a solid block. Done this way it will keep indefinitely. If the feet and eyes dry out from being exposed in the freezer the taxidermist may not be able to use it. By the way, I do taxidermy for a living.

Steve

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 pm

I once kept a Rooster I think 4 years in the deep freezer in a Cabelas bag! It turned out GREAT!

But this is what my Taxi guy has on his website... http://www.birdfishtaxidermist.com/
Game care begins in the field. The minute that special bird hits the ground proper field care for taxidermy begins. Birddogs hold a place in our hearts as retrievers as well as conservation tools. However, as a taxidermist, it is often that a client brings a bird that has been retrieved by a "hard-mouth" dog. Some birds that get retrieved end up being fine. Others are not so lucky. Try to keep all mountable birds away from dogs. I know, easier said than done.
Keeping these things in mind will greatly increase the odds for a quality mount:
1. Retrieve the bird yourself if it is potentially a trophy.
2.Do not carry birds by their necks, this could cause feather loss. Always carry trophies by the feet.
3. If the bird is not dead, try "if at all possible" not to wring the neck. One effective way is to lay the bird on its chest, and carefully apply pressure to the back with your knee or hand; this will suffocate the bird quickly without damage.
4.Keep as much blood and dirt from soiling the feathers as possible. Keep in mind, I will remove this later, yet, it is best to KEEP IT CLEAN.
5. Broken bones and bullet holes in beaks are generally not a problem. However, lost feathers cannot be replaced!
6. Life begins at 40! 40 degrees F. that is if you're talking about tissue destroying bacteria. Keep birds cool and put them in the freezer ASAP. Fold the head under a wing. Place them in a plastic bag, PLEASE DO NOT WRAP IN NEWSPAPER OR PANTYHOSE. Plastic bags only! Force as much air out as possible & seal it up. The smaller the bird, the more important this step is! For very small birds, (quail, parakeet) it can be helpful to soak the belly area in rubbing alcohol to prevent rapid bacterial growth.
7.Get the bird to me quickly. The faster I get it, the better shape it will be in, and the quicker you will get it back.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:52 am

Pantyhose, keeps feathers laying flat. then into the freezer.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:21 pm

To go completely go over the top for a longer stretch in the freezer , wrap legs in tinfoil,make a hood of tinfoil for head/beak,slide thru pantyhose as has been suggested and seconded,then wrap with multiple layers of newspaper,and then double bag with plastic trashcan liners.

And make sure your useing a taxi that will get "Your" bird back.I left a pristine golden BB bird in SD with a taxi,not a feather missing,cut or out of place,it had 3/4 inch or better spurs and nice long tailset.What I got back was a bird of the year with nubs for spurs,and a bird that had the worst looking wings I'd ever seen,not a snowballs chance in HE double toothpicks that a bird with that many feathers missing in the wing area could do anything but run.