Are the old Greif, Wildburg, and Wasserschling dogs out of

EK Cottontop

Are the old Greif, Wildburg, and Wasserschling dogs out of

Post by EK Cottontop » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm

I am a fan of the old Greif, Wildburg, and Wasserschling dogs. That being said, I have heard many people say that those lines are not very good on their own.

One of the more popular combinations was Greif with Moesgaard. Several older western trialers have told me they had to add Moesgaard to be competitive. If my memory serves, the last dog from these lines with any major impact was Beier's Evolution. These days it seems these lines are mixed with Hustler dogs or Dixieland Rusty dogs.

It seems the Greif, Wildburg, and Wasserschling dogs had their fifteen minutes of fame back in the sixties and early seventies. Are the those bloodlines relevant today?

Thanks for your comments.
Cottontop

Vision

Re: Are the old Greif, Wildburg, and Wasserschling dogs out of

Post by Vision » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Don Lee still wins with his Grief dogs. Their out there still you just have to look for them. Richardson's win with dogs with a lot of grief in them.

Since the 90's everybody seems to line bred on "titles" not families.

Centralizing the GSPCA National in Kansas changed the game a bunch. It was pretty "bleep" hard to win more than one NFC title when the dogs had to do it in un-familiar territory when the NFC trial rotated from Coast to Coast. Ehrlichers Abe was one of the few GSP's to win more than one NFC title on different grounds.

EK Cottontop

Re: Are the old Greif, Wildburg, and Wasserschling dogs out of

Post by EK Cottontop » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks, Vision. I had forgotten about Abe. Mayfield has some great stories about him.

Don Lee's have been crossed with some Moesgaard back several generations. Others that are currently on the circuit have as well. I am not saying Moesgaard is bad, I was just looking at more pure Greif type bred dogs.
I was reading some older yearbooks and trial programs. There were many winners that were Shinback dogs, Von Thalbergs, and several out Esser's Chick. Of course there were several Moesgaards, but I didn't noticed the lines crossing at that point. I wonder if trials have changed to the point that if these dogs were still alive today, would they be competitive. Would Blick V Shinback be able to hold his own against Dixieland's Rusty or Rawhides Clown? Or for that matter, could he win this year? Is this good or bad for the breed?

Maybe it's like NASCAR where the cars change and so do the drivers. Could Richard Petty beat Jimmy Johnson? :D

I realize that there is always progress and hopefully the breed as a whole evolves and is made stronger and better.

Thanks again for the comments. I look forward to hearing more.