doggie boots

ibbowhunting

doggie boots

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm think of buy boots for my dog she was out in the snow today and came back with balls of ice on her pads any sugguestion on brand and/or type that works best

admin

Re: doggie boots

Post by admin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Try this FAQ page out:
http://gundogforum.com/blog/2010/hunting-dog-boots

Or at the BOTTOM of this page
http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-boots.html

Warner writes: Thank you for contacting Gun Dog Supply, Dave.

We have used the nylon boots on our Brittanys in snow for short periods of time and they did fine but I would suggest that the Lewis Rubber Boots (non ventilated) are better suited for use in snow and ice. Our experience is that the Lewis rubber boots also generally last longer than the nylon boots.

I haven't had much experience with running dogs on pavement but I expect that your best bet would be the Endo dog boots which we don't stock at this time. They are nylon and have a urethane lugged sole. Check with Endo Enterprises at 801-281-1331 in Salt Lake City, Utah. They are about $40 per set.

Of the boots we stock, I would go with the Lewis rubber boots. They are more durable than the nylon boots we stock and they would afford better protection. You have to tape them on so it will take about 5-10 minutes to put them on each time.

Linda, the Tuf Foot works great. I've been using it on our bird dogs for 15 years or more. I wouldn't go to West Texas to hunt without at least one bottle. Put it on every day for two weeks prior to the beginning of hunting season (or other activity) and it will make a big difference.

We also use it daily when hunting in W. Texas because of all the stickers etc. I rarely use it here unless a dog injures a pad. It is messy so you don't want to put it on inside and you need to be sure that it has dried before letting the dog inside as it is amber colored and will stain the floor.

Choosing the right dog boots for your hunting dog can be as challenging as buying shoes for yourself. Dog boots are used to protect your dog's paws from sand burrs, rocks, ice and other rough terrain. They can also be worn to protect your dogs injured or sore paws. Like your own hunting boots there are a number of things to consider before pulling out your wallet. It's important to to know what brand and material your boots need to be as well as what you will need in addition to the boots for them to comfortably and safely fit your dog.

There are several different brands and types of dog boots available, including trusted brands like Lewis Dog Boots, Ruffwear Bark'n Boots, Skyliner, and Scott's Dogbooties. For ice and snow there are specially designed winter dog boots.

It's also important to know how to properly secure your dog boots to your dog's leg. Vet wrap or an ace bandage can be used around the dog's ankle before putting on the dog boot and then secured again with vet wrap or duct take around the outside of the dog boot. The more important thing to remember is not to wrap your dog's legs too tightly. Securing dog boots with duct tape will help ensure the boot stays on your dog's paw keeping it safe and prevent the loss of expensive boot. Using bright colored duct tape also helps visibility.

If your dog's are particularly rough on boots, an alternative is making your own disposable ones. These can be made from a variety of methods and materials, including rubber, cordura, and nylon. Some folks also make dog boots from motorcycle inner tubes and duct tape.
-- ROB SNELL,
DOG TRAINING DIGITAL LLC

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:08 pm

If your dogs pads aren't getting cut up and your dog has a tongue you are wasting your time and money IMO. I trim the hair on the feet of my springer to keep it from happening, with labs it was never really an issue.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Cut the hair between the toes and under the paw between pads. Put a bit of vaseline between pads when you go out for walking or running. Problem solved.

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 pm

mobeasto123 wrote:Cut the hair between the toes and under the paw between pads. Put a bit of vaseline between pads when you go out for walking or running. Problem solved.

David

This is good advice but if you are going hunting for more than 2 days in snow and tough cover like cattails, most dogs are going to get very footsore. I am a firm believer in boots for the hairy breeds that really run like setters and britts. I trim the hair before hunting but when the dog shows that he is uncomfortable (inevitable after 2 days of hard hunting in the snow) I put on the boots. Recovery time and performance in the field is much better.