Digging?

WillieELk78GSP

Digging?

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:28 pm

I am trying to get my 9month old GSP to stop digging in my yard, does it normally just mature out of the dog? I have tries cyan pepper but she just licked it up, so I would like some of your tricks to stop this?
Thanks everyone
God Bless

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Digging?

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Is the dog getting enough exercise?

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Can't wait to hear the "fixes" for digging.

In my experience, dogs just love to dig no matter what their age - puppies just seem to love it more often.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Give the their own area to dig in, like in the back where no one can see. if they start to do anywhere else, a stern no an take them to where they can dig.

Corry

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Well as for exercise I take he to the a local field probably 3 to 4 days a week and bring her back beat, than on those off days I throw the ball in the yard. I have a wireless electric fence so digging anywhere except the yard will get her shocked if she goes outside the containment area. So area just for her digging is kind of out of the question. Thanks guys!!
God Bless

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Are there gophers up there? I have a young GSP that runs formally twice per day and is let loose for several more hours each day 7 days a week. If I give him a day off, he is almost unbearable to live with. I catch him digging but down here we have gophers and ground squirrels that he is after.

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:47 pm

we put poop in the holes to keep ours from digging them more...shes is growing out of it luckily. exercise is the best way...a tired dog is a good dog.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Willie... ,

The bottom line is: When dogs get bored in the yard they find other ways to blow out pent up energy. Most breeds of sporting dogs around 9 month old will dig, chew, bark etc. if not given enough attention, training and exercise DAILY.
You could try giving the dog some RAW Beef Knuckle Bones when left in the yard. If he chews on something tastey he should not dig. No he won't dig to burry the bones.

Another option is to kennel the dog in an enclosure with a cement floor.

benelli

Post by benelli » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Is it an indoor dog who just spends some time in the yard? Eventually I want our 9 month GSP to be able to spend longer spans of time outside, but for now during the puppy time we're keeping him inside except to go to the bathroom, unless we're outside with him and can keep an eye on him. (He digs on occasion, but his favorite offense is chewing branches off of bushes.) If I really want him out of the house for a while, I'll give him a raw soup bone and that does keep him out of trouble, but otherwise I figure it's my job to keep him from having the opportunity to do the things I don't want him to do, so hopefully the habits don't become too strong and once he's older he should be a bit more trustworthy.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Seems like once they find a few spots to dig they will continue to use those spots. I have had some success in filling holes, covering them with wire mesh and a layer of dirt on top of that. They will try to dig it out but stop when they can't. Then they move on to their next spot which is the same. Enough of this and they seem to stop. They may dig a new hole but if you stay on top of it they seem toeventually give up.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:44 pm

benelli wrote:Is it an indoor dog who just spends some time in the yard? Eventually I want our 9 month GSP to be able to spend longer spans of time outside, but for now during the puppy time we're keeping him inside except to go to the bathroom, unless we're outside with him and can keep an eye on him. (He digs on occasion, but his favorite offense is chewing branches off of bushes.) If I really want him out of the house for a while, I'll give him a raw soup bone and that does keep him out of trouble, but otherwise I figure it's my job to keep him from having the opportunity to do the things I don't want him to do, so hopefully the habits don't become too strong and once he's older he should be a bit more trustworthy.
That sounds like what I have exactly, an indoor dog that I want outside eventually. She spends about 4hrs outside either with me or short periods without, she does get a work out almost everyday, weather it's throwing a ball or going on a walk or going to the soccer field near my house. She runs like crazy there! And she does seen to dig in the same spots just deeper and deeper everytime. I do fill in everytime!!
God Bless

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 am

Mine seems to dig when she is bored and hasn't been exercised, even when she gets pissed at me. I fill all of her holes up with poop and after 4 of 5 holes, she rarely digs anymore. Mainly just scratches off the to layers of grass. Gooduck and supervise her more when she I outside. Mine digs when my wife is home all day and she leaves her outside all day t entertain herself.

ohn