What connects you and your dog?

Double Shot Banks

What connects you and your dog?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:19 pm

After a few months of owning my first gundog banks, I know what a mans best friend truly means.
I am curious to know what makes you and your dog special, what connects you, what makes you and your dog a relationship, what makes you two a team? Your not just the owner and hes not just a dog, what separates you from that?
I look forward to reading,
Isaac and Banks

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: What connects you and your dog?

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Shared learning, I reckon but more exactly shared experiences....good and bad.

It differs in particulars with all three, and all three were welcomed in at a stage past puppy.
But yes, shared experiences connect.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 pm

First thing that comes to mind when you read the title..... Shock collar. It connects me with my dog all the time.

Fester

Post by Fester » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

I was gonna say check cord but I guess that a smart a^7 remark :cry:
Fester

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Checkcord, my foot. How about CHECKBOOK?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Checkcord, my foot. How about CHECKBOOK?
:lol: :lol: I ran into my vet in town last week and told him I picked up a new 5 month old pup. His reply " so I can go ahead and plan my trip to the Bahamas this summer?" :lol:

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Beer, jerky, couch and nap time! :D

I'd say its the 'stuff' outside of hunting that connects us. Whether its napping on the couch, riding on the golf cart, hangin' out in the ice house, biking/hiking trails, going for rides in the car, etc....just fun to have the hound around and involved.

As far as a team I think it comes down to building that bond and trusting your dog.

I've always been a dog lover, always will be. Sometimes I think our little mutt keeps me going from day to day, she makes me realize how blessed we are and to be thankful for what we have.

Just love having a dog around!

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:55 pm

The biggest connections come from hunting together --- and watching all of the training concepts come together and make sense to the dog.

BTW, nice lookin' yella dog.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:00 pm

ultracarry wrote:First thing that comes to mind when you read the title..... Shock collar. It connects me with my dog all the time.
ROFLMBO - You are so tender hearted. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 pm

unspoken respect for each other
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Casey, checkbook is right. It would be interesting to hear how much $ others have wrapped up in a dog. I'm too embarrassed to go firrst but let's just say that I could have bought my lakehouse in 6 years for what i spent on ONE dog. That's not counting food or Vet bills. But in the end, I wouldn't go back and change anything. The ride, the sacrifices, joy, frustration, tears of happiness and despair, travel, competing in 7 different venues. Oh snap, I need psychiatric help.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Casey, checkbook is right. It would be interesting to hear how much $ others have wrapped up in a dog. I'm too embarrassed to go firrst but let's just say that I could have bought my lakehouse in 6 years for what i spent on ONE dog. That's not counting food or Vet bills. But in the end, I wouldn't go back and change anything. The ride, the sacrifices, joy, frustration, tears of happiness and despair, travel, competing in 7 different venues. Oh snap, I need psychiatric help.
Yeppers, somebody ought to get ol' Garth Brooks to sing a song about it! :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 pm

I think you do not fully realise what they mean, until they are know longer there. I wept like a baby when I had to put my last dog down, he was so much apart of my life. Hunting for me lasts about three months, it is the other nine months, I feel like the relationship is truly formed. Breakfast at mcdonalds, rides in the country, nap time, just plain old being goofy. I was not planning on getting another dog after my last one, but after a year here I am with a ten week old setter, I nicked named heck on wheels:) going through all the headaches of potty training, and getting up in the middle of the night, to having him not bite furniture, or electrical cords, or me, it makes you wonder sometimes, but when he is taking a nap on your lap you realise it is all worth it. So when you ask what connects you to your dog, it is a lifetime of living:)

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:43 pm

She's a PITA, I'm a PITA. We've learned as long as each of us is doing what we love ( her chasing birds, me chasing her ) we can live with each other. :lol:

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Although I love the smart a$$ remarks you guys know what I meant!
Nice respnses, it really amazes me how much some people love their dogs, and makes me sick when you see a hunter who is embarrased when his dog "messes up" in the field, and when they dont care about the dog just how it preforms,
Keep posting!
Isaac and Banks

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 pm

something further than my vocabulary reaches

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 pm

How it performs not only influences me but the same is true of the kids and a lot of other people. I think that is the way it is supposed to work. My dogs are dogs, and are treated like dogs, but that doesn't mean I don't care about them. The one thing I have found after I don't know how many dogs and 5 kids, their number one objective is to embarrass you the first time you take them out in public. But I don't think that has much to do with how you feel about them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Hey Double shot,
What kind of hunting are you looking to dp with the new pup?

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 pm

As someone posted, mutual respect.
Add mutual unconditional love, and that
Describes it for me.
Mike

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 am

First and foremost, she never flakes out on a hunting trip. Secondly, we both love running around in big open steep country looking for birds. Third, she never drinks all the beer :lol:
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:20 am

I graduated college last spring and moved to a new small community where I know nobody, at that time I also got a new Lab who is now 9 months old. During that time I have learned that a dog truely is a mans best friend in every sense. We go everywhere together, hunting (obviously), fishing, yard work, watching tv, traveling, taking naps, playing, the list is endless.. What connects us is now that he knows what I expect of him and I know what he thinks of me (not just hunting, but just every part of life), my life would be so boring without a pup. Its been amazing to watch him grow and learn over the months.

cptn

Post by cptn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 am

I love that my dog prefers me over anyone, and honestly, I prefer him over anyone.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

trasmuson3

Post by trasmuson3 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:56 am

The constant companionship. As much as it might bug me at times when my pup is under my feet everywhere I go, I wouldn't change it for anything. Its that feeling of being wanted that only a dog can and will give to you 100% of the time.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

BigJake wrote:Hey Double shot,
What kind of hunting are you looking to dp with the new pup?

Me and my dad do a lot more pheasant hunting than duck or goose, mostly because our current black lab Zowie is not steady :oops: nor does she heel
but i plan on pheasant hunting and a lot of duck and goose on ponds/lakes. maybe some field hunting as well.
Thanks!
Isaac and Banks

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Chukar12 wrote:something further than my vocabulary reaches
+1

frosso

Post by frosso » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm

I've had dogs as pets in the past but this is my first working bird dog. It's magical. I've never felt this way with my other dogs. My setter gives me goose bumps when I watch her work a field. I think it's a glimps at God's perfection to watch something so beautiful do what she was created to do with so much joy and enthusiasm.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 pm

frosso wrote:I've had dogs as pets in the past but this is my first working bird dog. It's magical. I've never felt this way with my other dogs. My setter gives me goose bumps when I watch her work a field. I think it's a glimps at God's perfection to watch something so beautiful do what she was created to do with so much joy and enthusiasm.

Very well said!

Oysterman

Post by Oysterman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 pm

This dog is not like any gun dog I have owned in the past. Over the years, I have owned several breeds and several good dogs. Setters that could find birds in thickets that were impenetrable, a Brittany that was so mischievous that her name (Pat) was changed to Pi**ed, labs that hunted all day with as much energy at the end of the day as they had at the beginning of the day and a GSP that ran so far ahead that I was in excellent shape the entire time I had her. But maybe most special was a Golden retriever that was my buddy for fourteen years and my hunting buddy for eight of those years.

As much at home in the cane rows as in the duck blind, this dog came everywhere with me. He was my constant companion as I taught in the local university. He would roam the classroom, irritating students as they took notes in class, and sat at my desk as I conducted scientific experiments. Visits to the local post office generated new friendships as he greeted everyone in the building like a long-lost relative with money to share. What a dog! Sleeping at my feet in the evening, curling up next to my bed at night and waiting for the strip of bacon in the morning; this animal was more like a son than a pet. Fourteen years of love, laughter and life, cut short by kidney failure. A sense of loss that was different than losing a relative but certainly as painful as losing a friend.

For three years, I sat alone without a buddy. My wife could not understand the sadness that accompanied me those three years but she tried to relieve it. I was determined never to get another hunting buddy. Who could replace my friend? Who could fill the void? Who would walk the fields the way that he did? The answer is no one. No one could.

Fast forward to three years ago. One of my student's parents decided to give up their golden retriever. Quite a beautiful dog. Of a lineage of show dogs that had no field experience, what would I do with an animal like that? Well, my daughter was expecting a child and I figured I could give this dog a good home and give my grandchild a good pet. When we brought Beau home, I was hooked. This dog will never hunt. This dog has absolutely nothing in common with my old dog but he has wormed his way into my heart.

What connects me to him? Healing. This dog has taken the sting out of losing my old buddy. Surely not my hunting companion but he has become my new best friend. Just like my old boy, he lives inside my house. He shares breakfast, lunch and dinner with me. Constantly under my feet, he sits with me anywhere I am and sleeps in my room. He is so different than my old dog but he has lightened my heart. He has made it possible for me to love a dog again like I used to.

What connects me to him? Love. Always patient, always accepting, always forgiving and always present, he just wants to be near me. My wife has noticed that there is a new spring in the old step. I laugh more these days. I enjoy my walks again. My granddaughter laughs with me and loves him just as much. He watches her better than I do. He is constantly by her side when she is around, never pushing but always supporting.

What connects me to him? My old boy who just left me. Every now and then, when I look at Beau, I see my old boy again. Smiling at me. "Hey, Dad," he says without speaking, "I'm still here and I still love you."

Connections never end.

Miss you, Cal

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:36 am

Oysterman wrote:This dog is not like any gun dog I have owned in the past. Over the years, I have owned several breeds and several good dogs. Setters that could find birds in thickets that were impenetrable, a Brittany that was so mischievous that her name (Pat) was changed to Pi**ed, labs that hunted all day with as much energy at the end of the day as they had at the beginning of the day and a GSP that ran so far ahead that I was in excellent shape the entire time I had her. But maybe most special was a Golden retriever that was my buddy for fourteen years and my hunting buddy for eight of those years.

As much at home in the cane rows as in the duck blind, this dog came everywhere with me. He was my constant companion as I taught in the local university. He would roam the classroom, irritating students as they took notes in class, and sat at my desk as I conducted scientific experiments. Visits to the local post office generated new friendships as he greeted everyone in the building like a long-lost relative with money to share. What a dog! Sleeping at my feet in the evening, curling up next to my bed at night and waiting for the strip of bacon in the morning; this animal was more like a son than a pet. Fourteen years of love, laughter and life, cut short by kidney failure. A sense of loss that was different than losing a relative but certainly as painful as losing a friend.

For three years, I sat alone without a buddy. My wife could not understand the sadness that accompanied me those three years but she tried to relieve it. I was determined never to get another hunting buddy. Who could replace my friend? Who could fill the void? Who would walk the fields the way that he did? The answer is no one. No one could.

Fast forward to three years ago. One of my student's parents decided to give up their golden retriever. Quite a beautiful dog. Of a lineage of show dogs that had no field experience, what would I do with an animal like that? Well, my daughter was expecting a child and I figured I could give this dog a good home and give my grandchild a good pet. When we brought Beau home, I was hooked. This dog will never hunt. This dog has absolutely nothing in common with my old dog but he has wormed his way into my heart.

What connects me to him? Healing. This dog has taken the sting out of losing my old buddy. Surely not my hunting companion but he has become my new best friend. Just like my old boy, he lives inside my house. He shares breakfast, lunch and dinner with me. Constantly under my feet, he sits with me anywhere I am and sleeps in my room. He is so different than my old dog but he has lightened my heart. He has made it possible for me to love a dog again like I used to.

What connects me to him? Love. Always patient, always accepting, always forgiving and always present, he just wants to be near me. My wife has noticed that there is a new spring in the old step. I laugh more these days. I enjoy my walks again. My granddaughter laughs with me and loves him just as much. He watches her better than I do. He is constantly by her side when she is around, never pushing but always supporting.

What connects me to him? My old boy who just left me. Every now and then, when I look at Beau, I see my old boy again. Smiling at me. "Hey, Dad," he says without speaking, "I'm still here and I still love you."

Connections never end.

Miss you, Cal

Lovely story. Made me cry. Nothing is like the companionship of a dog. Nothing.

frosso

Post by frosso » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 am

Love. Always patient, always accepting, always forgiving and always present, he just wants to be near me.
That line made me think, maybe what connects us to our dogs is that they truely exemplify the standard we try to reach in love:
1 Cor 13
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 pm

I've been enjoying this thread. Simply said, there is nothing like a dog. I have a passion for them - actually born with it. I can't imagine life without one - or more. My dogs have always been my companions, too. I remember when I was about 17, this "cute" guy asked me out. When I told him I had a great dane that would be joining us, he balked. His "hesitation" said it all - so I let him off the hook. :wink: There was no sense going any further - it would never work anyway.

Dieseldog8

Post by Dieseldog8 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:02 am

Whoever posted this thread very good job has made me tear up a little. It just makes you wanna go and grab your dog in a big bear hug haha.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:52 am

Great thread...its hard to add to what has been said already. :)

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 pm

What makes the tightest bond between man and dog is FF. Its tuff for you and the dog both, but when its over you have a trust in each other. You no what to exspect from the dog and the dog respects what you ask. Its no tighter bond than that. All of my dogs are willing to die for me to complete a task its up to me keep them from doing so. We are a team

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:15 pm

To my mind firstly both of you must love hunting, TIME spent with your dog will teach you what he is like and what type of personality he has. This will help you in training him knowing one another well will also help him to mold into your hunting buddy. He will know you what to do what and when to take a chance ...... This makes every dog special if you hunt enough with him you will know his shortcomings work on them but forgive him, he will always unconditionally love you and be happy to see you, all you have to do is take him hunting!

Simply do the things you love with him, he will love it & you also need to learn to trust your dog.

Rule one you can never teach gundog to hunt BUT you can teach him discipline!