Coyotes and Dogs

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Coyotes and Dogs

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:38 pm

pkbirdog wrote:I was running my pup this evening and about 15 minutes into it I noticed a coyote about 200 yards in front of us. Normally when I see coyotes the are running away as fast as they can, but this one was just kinda hanging out, keeping his distance. It didn't seem too worried about us. I did an about face started working pup in the other direction. A couple of coyotes started barking and howling when we started towards the car. Should I be worried about my pup with these coyotes. I have heard it said that coyotes will try and get your dogs out and attack and kill them.

Should I be worried? Pup heard the barking but didn't really care.

Paul
I'm worried every time I go out without a gun. I carry dog spray. Had a 4 month old pup once coming roaring towards me "screaming" - a sound I never heard before. Saw coyote disappearing into the bush. Pup wouldn't stand up - quivering mass; I had to carry him back to the car.

They are lining up at MacDonald's here - we have an open season on coyote.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 pm

Duckdog wrote:Or just getcha a bigger meaner dog! ;)

Pay no attention to the pink collar... ;)
I love it! LOL

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:59 pm

I have jumped yotes while hunting many times, the two shorthairs make quick business with them. We used to run them with greyhound racer dogs, they go to ground I sent in my 70 lb pit bull for the kill. Hanged them on the truck box and moved on to the next one. Had my dogs run up on all manners of varmints, each encounter was scary but after it was over I had a larger understanding of how a dog works in a kill situation. Hunt two together and almost nothing can harm them both. I gotta lock em up at night or I find dead skunks, coons and cats in teh yard.

Two will go high and low like in that pic, animal hasnt a chance to survive and thats what I want my dogs to do. My black dog cuts to teh bone when he bites an animal. Huge open wounds he makes. Then he licks my face :) happily

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:44 pm

These coyotes are outta hand I'm callin in the Roadrunner!! " meep meep!!"

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 pm

I read through some of this but I hunt in KS only. Dont travel anywhere else. This year have happened to see more Coyotes than I remember in years past. Im guessing they have thrived well with all the animals dying from the drought we've had.

Anyways this year, Im not sure if it was their breeding season or what, but I had several not show any or much fear of me or my dog. Some would just walk a short distance away from my Setter. My setter is a puss and if a Coyote got ahold of her neck she wouldnt last long.

Anyways the lack of fear really surprised me this year. As someone else alluded to, guys here run them with greyhounds, and other muts, pit bulls, American Bull Dogs and what have you. KS really says its an anything goes type of deal on Coyotes, there really isnt much for regulations on them, you can chase them with vehicles, talk on CB's, shoot from the vehicle etc. Last year some guys were chasing them down with snow mobiles in the wide open when we got quite a bit of snow. Not my cup of tea but to each his own.

But maybe Im not being very sporting, I dont care about yotes and every "bleep" one I saw I unloaded my shotgun on. The "bleep" thing should turn and run when it sees me and show fear. I doubt I killed any but Im sure they were sore for a while or developed a case of lead poisoning later on. I did about get one running with a muzzloader during deer season. Missed him by about 4 or so inches. Bullet dropped right between his legs.

But not too long ago I saw a hunting show on Sportsman Channel or Outdoor channel - it had a female host...she went to Wyoming or Montana and met up with a group of guys that hunt Coyotes with dogs...however what they do is let their dogs out to run around, they sit up and wait somewhere and let the dog bring the Coyote to them. Their explanation is that Coyotes are territorial and that is why they were following their dogs. The breed they had was big enough a Coyote would have to be on roids to get one over on them. If you ever find the episode, worth a watch, Im sure it will be repeated many times this spring season. Maybe thats why they were following my dog this year and others are reporting the same in this thread.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:04 pm

KsHusker wrote:I read through some of this but I hunt in KS only. Dont travel anywhere else. This year have happened to see more Coyotes than I remember in years past.
Same here in a OK, I have seen a ton this year, managed to kill a few, even got one over nice a point in a stubble field lol. Will get more serious with the caller when bird season ends.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:24 pm

We are in the process of locating dens on a few properties now while also hunting or trapping them. The dens will be worked this spring with the terriers in an effort to help control the population

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:48 am

If the price for fur goes back up folks would start trapping them again. No trapping or hunting on them due to no price for the fur means a lot of loose yotes running around looking for a meal.

We call them in with a radio caller in the spring and shoot the heck out of them.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Fur prices are going up now. A coon is $60.00, coyote close to $90.00. Just an article on it in American Hunter.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 pm

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:29 am

I know I have said this before, but in my part of the country, every yote I or my dog have encountered has been headed to the next county just as fast as he could go.

Charlie

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 am

Fur prices are going up now. A coon is $60.00, coyote close to $90.00. Just an article on it in American Hunter.
Wow, who is paying that if the article said. Havent seen more than 30.00 for yotes here. For 90 I will head out and kill a bunch, runem with the 6 shorthairs :)

mask

Post by mask » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:53 pm

$30.00 is a good price straight through for yotes. A 60.00 dollar coon is unheard of. In the northwest the top price is paid based on the Montana #1 yote. To be a #1 they have to be really big with a very pale silver coat and a very white belly and of coarse be prime. Not many qualify so most are in the 20.00 to 30.00 dollar range.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 pm

so most are in the 20.00 to 30.00 dollar range
Have to kill 100 or so to make the gas and expenses. Not that many around here. I still plan on the annual spring yote shoot we do call em in and cut em down.

The 10/22 with 30 round mags does the trick.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm

I have killed 2 while hunting other species.The first one I was in a tree stand Deer hunting when it came into gun range I killed it at about 40 yrds shooting a TC Hawken loaded with 90 Gr BP & 370 Grain lead Maxi Ball.
The second one I killed while Turkey hunting at about 15 yards with a 3 inch load of No 6 shot in the face.She was sneaking in for a Turkey dinner she had the mange & fleas jumping in all directions I didn't touch it
The first one I had mounted with a quail in it's mouth also a female but in good condition.I will post the pic of the mount if I can find it.I will kill every one I have the chance to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:06 pm

You show up to our local fur buyer with a truck load of prime, skinned, scraped, and stitched yotes and he MIGHT give you $20 apiece for them. Or he might laugh at you and send you on your way. As far as coons go..... they pay about as well as quail feathers....

Some of y'all have a vivid imagination, or watched too many Disney movies as kids. Unless I had pups on the ground or possibly a Britt (no offense intended) or Cocker, I wouldn't even bat an eye at a coyote, at least not if it wasn't in range.......

Jim

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Coyotes and Dogs

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:09 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:Image
What's the big dog? Ovcharka?

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:38 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:You show up to our local fur buyer with a truck load of prime, skinned, scraped, and stitched yotes and he MIGHT give you $20 apiece for them. Or he might laugh at you and send you on your way. As far as coons go..... they pay about as well as quail feathers....

Some of y'all have a vivid imagination, or watched too many Disney movies as kids. Unless I had pups on the ground or possibly a Britt (no offense intended) or Cocker, I wouldn't even bat an eye at a coyote, at least not if it wasn't in range.......

Jim
I hunt a male Britt in prime coyote country, I am always finding plenty of scat and prints all over my favorite hunting areas and never had a problem yet. My Britt is on the large side of his breed, right around 50lbs. and tough as nails and he eats much like a coyote. I mean raw meat. I never really worry about him as far as coyotes go. I do suppose there are areas in other states where they may be way overpopulated and could see them coming into residential areas for small dogs and cats when other prey is in short supply. But I would think even that would only be isolated incidents.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:24 pm

ACooper wrote:
It is a Sarplaninac that sometimes hunt with the DD and DJT on predators.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Here are the prices from this FHA auction.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:
ACooper wrote:
That was going to be my second guess, so you have DD, DJT, and Sar? You don't like a dog with any drive do you? :lol:

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:32 am

You show up to our local fur buyer with a truck load of prime, skinned, scraped, and stitched yotes and he MIGHT give you $20 apiece for them. Or he might laugh at you and send you on your way. As far as coons go..... they pay about as well as quail feathers....
Yeah thats how it is around here.

Where was this FHA auction? and when? Who paid these prices? Not gonna go out and kill a bunch then skin and stretch if it only pays nothing like it does here. Your post actually means nothing without details there.

I can build an excell spreadsheet just like that one and put whatever I want in it, dont mean it happened or is still valid todays market. How many you skinned? Gun show had some taxidermests selling yote hides like rugs or such, asked him how much will he pay for hide, told me 5.00 cause they are hard to sell. Was at mid america in CB Iowa last weekend.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:20 am

ACooper wrote:
ACooper wrote:That was going to be my second guess, so you have DD, DJT, and Sar? You don't like a dog with any drive do you? :lol:
I do not own Sarplaninac, only DD and DJT. We will be adding a Teckel though :)

Vision

Post by Vision » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:20 am

My Buddy shot this one on the chukar opening. Shot it with a 20 gauge, 7.5 shot at 10 yards. He mouth squeaked and it ran right to him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Sharon wrote:$27-$66

FHA / Canada 2013

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/201 ... emand.html
Good article, Sounds like a heated debate in the works by those animal rights people. Not a bad price on those yotes. Wouldn't mind a nice pair of yote slippers to get through this cold weather, fur inside. :D

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Dude that is the only Sarp I have ever seen other than our 2 and the people we got em from. Ours are rough on yotes. They go with us when we ride and so far have teamed up on 2 yotes and several coons.

Jim

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:33 am

markj wrote:
Yeah thats how it is around here.

Where was this FHA auction? and when? Who paid these prices? Not gonna go out and kill a bunch then skin and stretch if it only pays nothing like it does here. Your post actually means nothing without details there.

I can build an excell spreadsheet just like that one and put whatever I want in it, dont mean it happened or is still valid todays market. How many you skinned? Gun show had some taxidermests selling yote hides like rugs or such, asked him how much will he pay for hide, told me 5.00 cause they are hard to sell. Was at mid america in CB Iowa last weekend.
I've really got better things to do than falsify a spreadsheet for some bogus thread. That came from Trapper and Predator Caller magazine and it just happened. It's the first auction of the year. Do your freakin' homework instead of accusing others of false representation.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:40 am

Do your freakin' homework

Hey, I know what they bring around here. You made it sound like anyone can waltz right in to the local fur buyer and expect to get 60.00 which just isnt happening here. My homework has been done.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:59 am

markj wrote:Hey, I know what they bring around here. You made it sound like anyone can waltz right in to the local fur buyer and expect to get 60.00 which just isnt happening here. My homework has been done.
Not to take sides but because I had a friend that used to trap 50 to 60 fox and about a dozen coyotes per season along with rats and beaver, I know he used to take his fur to a buyer NYC to sell because the local byers would really lowball him. I have a furrier about 8 miles from my home I am going to call them out of curiosity to see how much the fox and coyotes are going for. They buy fur there and make the fur coats and accessories there.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:44 am

markj wrote:
Do your freakin' homework

Hey, I know what they bring around here. You made it sound like anyone can waltz right in to the local fur buyer and expect to get 60.00 which just isnt happening here. My homework has been done.
No, I never said that, you did. I simply posted the prices Trapper & Predator Caller just had in their publication. Google it, it's on line. I didn't say anything about what you'd get for them, you threw that in. It all comes down to how prime the pelts are, where they're from, how they're handled, and how fair your fur buyer is.

It would really be nice if you only replied to what I said, not what you think I said.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:10 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:keep the dog away from them, but if you saw a coyote during the day not leaving its probably sick, and it wont go near a human, unless its sick, so stay away from it unless its where you live you should be fine unless you keep seeing it.
if its near your home, shoot it
Isaac and Banks
yeah, that statement is not accurate.

I live in central alberta. My Chesapeake turned 1 this past November and has already tangled with 1 in a full on scrap, and had one charge him when he was onle 5 months old. Both yotes were full on healthy adults. I stepped in between the two and scared the yote off the first time it happened when gunner was a pup. The second time gunner stepped in between me and the yote as I ahd no idea the coyote was 20 feet from where I was.....I will say one thing....A 1 year old Chesapeake will put a world of hurt into a coyote if it feels the bossman is being threatened. :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
Sharon wrote:$27-$66

FHA / Canada 2013

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/201 ... emand.html
Good article, Sounds like a heated debate in the works by those animal rights people. Not a bad price on those yotes. Wouldn't mind a nice pair of yote slippers to get through this cold weather, fur inside. :D
That animal fur is amazing. I have a rabbit fur hat that you could be warm in at -50 degrees Celsius. Amazing that fur.:)

... more prices from Jan.1/2014, Manitoba,ON

"Trappers get more than $600,000 for second straight year at Thompson fur table."

http://www.thompsoncitizen.net/article/ ... t-thompson

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:51 pm

I simply posted the prices Trapper & Predator Caller just had in their publication. Google it, it's on line
:) man it isnt even an American ayction it is in Canada :) so I gotta ask next, is that canda dollars or american Im lafing my rear end off here. Local fur fetches 7.00 for a coon, maybe10 for a yote.

I did google it, iowa fur isnt going for much. Folks down in the lower 48 seem to be against the idea of wearing fur or leather.

I once got 50.00 per pelt. but them days maybe long gone. That is why we have an over abundance of yotes running around, same for the other fur bearers folks used to trap.
I ran a trap line for a few years as a teen.Made me some easy cash.

1968 we got 50.00 for a set of yote ears turned into the game warden as a bounty.

No doubt fur is warm, it keeps the varmints cozy in freezing weather. Fur farms around here get their animals turned loose a lot by the anti groups. Should be a season on them folks...

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:06 pm

markj wrote:
I simply posted the prices Trapper & Predator Caller just had in their publication. Google it, it's on line
:) man it isnt even an American ayction it is in Canada :) so I gotta ask next, is that canda dollars or american Im lafing my rear end off here. Local fur fetches 7.00 for a coon, maybe10 for a yote.

I did google it, iowa fur isnt going for much. Folks down in the lower 48 seem to be against the idea of wearing fur or leather.
Of course it isn't an American auction. That auction pretty much sets fur price. If you look at the chart, Iowa furs are some of the lowest price furs on there. Prices are listed by sections of the country. American's are not large consumers of fur. Most of those pelts go to China, japan and Russia.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:17 pm

markj wrote:

I once got 50.00 per pelt. but them days maybe long gone. That is why we have an over abundance of yotes running around, same for the other fur bearers folks used to trap.
I ran a trap line for a few years as a teen.Made me some easy cash.

1968 we got 50.00 for a set of yote ears turned into the game warden as a bounty.

No doubt fur is warm, it keeps the varmints cozy in freezing weather. Fur farms around here get their animals turned loose a lot by the anti groups. Should be a season on them folks...
We are getting $42 per coyote in Alberta.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:35 pm

We are getting $42 per coyote in Alberta.
Might be a higher quality of fur too, less people around to feed them garbage.

So if I send you 100 furs.......

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:38 pm

As you go north the colder weather always enhance the quality of the fur.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Yes. I hadn't even thought of that. Right now I'm looking at snow to my hips at -22 degrees Celsius. The fur will be darn good this year- if they survive. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Sharon wrote:Yes. I hadn't even thought of that. Right now I'm looking at snow to my hips at -22 degrees Celsius. The fur will be darn good this year- if they survive. :)
They will. Your memory is short. This terrible winter is pretty much what most were a few years back. The last few has spoiled us I think. It is that darn Global Warming this year that is getting us.

Ezzy

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:33 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Sharon wrote:Yes. I hadn't even thought of that. Right now I'm looking at snow to my hips at -22 degrees Celsius. The fur will be darn good this year- if they survive. :)
They will. Your memory is short. This terrible winter is pretty much what most were a few years back. The last few has spoiled us I think. It is that darn Global Warming this year that is getting us.

Ezzy
I'd rather be spoiled and have bad fur. This cold really bites, "literally". :lol:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:49 pm

It is too late in the year for the good fur. The long guard hairs will be well rubbed by now and nutrition will be taking its toll on the haircoat of many.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:11 pm

slistoe wrote:It is too late in the year for the good fur. The long guard hairs will be well rubbed by now and nutrition will be taking its toll on the haircoat of many.

Is that just in your area, because PA trapping season runs through Feb 23rd on most furbearers, and it sounds like your saying it wouldn't really be worth taking any animals at this time? At least not from a $ standpoint.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 pm

They don't even START beaver trapping until spring.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
slistoe wrote:It is too late in the year for the good fur. The long guard hairs will be well rubbed by now and nutrition will be taking its toll on the haircoat of many.

Is that just in your area, because PA trapping season runs through Feb 23rd on most furbearers, and it sounds like your saying it wouldn't really be worth taking any animals at this time? At least not from a $ standpoint.
We quit trapping long haired fur about mid January when they start getting brush worn the value drops dramatically. The only reason for taking them is from a $ standpoint.................................Cj

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:They don't even START beaver trapping until spring.
Spring is a very narrow window on beaver. The best pelts will be coming out from under the ice now - if anyone is of a mind to be working under the ice at this time of year.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:50 pm

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:40 pm

I've had a coyote try to decoy one of my hounds while I was roading them. Called the dog back to me and the coyote followed...the dog started toward the coyote and the coyote would turn and head toward a small hill...this went on for 3-4 times. All this time i'm setting on a 4 wheeler not 50 yds from the coyote. I finally shot a few rounds from my .357 and the coyote fled the scene. I feel pretty sure there were other coyotes over the hill waiting for a free meal.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Arround here, almost all coyote hunting is done with dogs. It's a wonder any of the dogs survive. :mrgreen:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Coyotes and Dogs

Post by ACooper » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:23 pm

birddogger wrote:Arround here, almost all coyote hunting is done with dogs. It's a wonder any of the dogs survive. :mrgreen:
Isn't that the truth, now wolves I'd worry about, coyotes? Ehhh not so much.