Coyotes and Dogs

Bounty_Hunter

Re: Coyotes and Dogs

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:32 pm

I used to help a friend check his trap line some 20 years ago and his success with fox was excellent at about 50 to 60 fox and about a dozen coyotes per season. None of those coyotes in those traps ever looked more then 35lbs but were really mean and would require a 22 to put them down but we never had to use the gun to dispatch any fox. I do remember some of the coyotes being dark almost black in color too.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:05 pm

I prefer to kill my coyotes over points...

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Best post in this here thread :)

I think they get smaller down here than up north, no wolf blood to join up with around here. Cougars yes....

Now about them pointing.....

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:43 pm

markj wrote:
Best post in this here thread :)

I think they get smaller down here than up north, no wolf blood to join up with around here. Cougars yes....

Now about them pointing.....
Seems from what I have read the average coyote here in PA would be 40 to 45lbs. Now our black bears get big here and that's a fact.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... nnsylvania

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Had an encounter today where I think my dog basically almost ran over a coyote that may have been bedded down behind a boulder. Some snarling and snipping on both sides, and fortunately only a scrape on my dog. I can't really call that an aggressive encounter as opposed to a defensive one, though, since the coyote wasn't looking for my dog and then ran off after an initial flurry. Interestingly, adrenalin on my part seems to make a coyote put on an extra 30 pounds, instantly. :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:37 pm

to day where I live: Coyotes are lining up at MacDonalds here. :(

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/04/01/rural ... e-his-eyes

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:33 pm

The ranch I lease in Nebraska had a pack of 11 causing all kinds of mischief. Ranchers said they don't normally shoot yotes unless there's a trouble maker....but said they had to deal with that pack around their cows and homestead.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Want to see if yotes attack dogs, go to pleasant hill productions Facebook page and read and see what happed at the Virginia amateur AA Trial the other day.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re:

Post by ACooper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Want to see if yotes attack dogs, go to pleasant hill productions Facebook page and read and see what happed at the Virginia amateur AA Trial the other day.
I saw that, crazy! Mating season makes them more aggressive but jeez.

Nutmeg247

Re: Re:

Post by Nutmeg247 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:38 am

ACooper wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Want to see if yotes attack dogs, go to pleasant hill productions Facebook page and read and see what happed at the Virginia amateur AA Trial the other day.
I saw that, crazy! Mating season makes them more aggressive but jeez.
Cleaning that bite up and keeping it clean looks like it would be fun times...Yikes :!: Awesome dog there.

Country Guy2

Post by Country Guy2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:20 am

The Game Commission here in PA said just the other day that coyotes rarely attack dogs and I have to agree with them. There are rare occasions when wildlife of any kind will attack a dog or a person but it just doesn't happen very often.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:40 pm

PGC LOL....it happens when and if they get a chance which doesn't happen very often.

The effectiveness of coyote hunting with decoy dogs proves that given the chance they will kill dogs.
The fact that yotes do their best to not put themselves in a loosing situation as all wild predators do, prevents some incidences.

Country Guy2

Post by Country Guy2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Hmmm, been taking my dog to the country for runs and always see plenty of coyote scat and tracks, never been bothered yet. Maybe we have a good mouse population where I roam.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:46 pm

And I've had my dogs hunted by yotes in ND and NE.as well as had two yotes circling a dozen pointers on stakeouts at night. The ranchers I stay with had one trying to break in the whelping shed with two litters and their mothers inside. Its not common but they are opportunistic if the chance arises.

So where is the country you take your dog out to, what county?

Country Guy2

Re:

Post by Country Guy2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:03 pm

birddog1968 wrote:And I've had my dogs hunted by yotes in ND and NE.as well as had two yotes circling a dozen pointers on stakeouts at night. The ranchers I stay with had one trying to break in the whelping shed with two litters and their mothers inside. Its not common but they are opportunistic if the chance arises.

So where is the country you take your dog out to, what county?
3or4 counties. Mostly Luzerne, Bradford, and sometimes carbon county. I also hunt these counties. All of these counties have coyotes but carbon has the most sign and I have seen them on occasion at night cross roads in this county.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:07 am

I just had my 20# Britt attacked last Thursday morning by 5 Coyotes. We live on a ridge which drops down to a paved road with a ranch on the other side. We have had this pack living down there for 7 years. They howl at my guys just before sunrise each day and my guys howl back. Coyote sightings are not unusual where I live but they have never been a problem for me. I had a live and let live attitude about them but no more. We have two fenced yards one is about an acre that surrounds our kennel building and the other our back yard. We have an 18" concrete footer along the fence line around our kennel yard but the back yard does not have it yet. I have 3 females and 1 old male that live in our house. They have a dog door and when I get up every day around Five they tear out into the back yard. I didn't realize that my little female Britt had been working on a tunnel for a prison break.

The usual howling exchange went on between the yotoes but tuned into frantic barking when Charlee (20# Alfa Female) decided she was going to make her break and run over to the ranch and get those Yotes to run from her like the Pronghorns used to do. Yotes don't run from 20# house pets. I had just poured my coffee and went to the back deck in my pajamas to find out what all the barking was about. Across the street and about 300 - 400 yards away I could see a rugby scrum of 5 yotes tearing and head shaking at some Orange and White animal. Charlee was in the process of being killed. I screamed at the animals but of course it had know effect. The last thing I saw before I ran to get my gun and get on my quad was a large yotoe griping my dog by the neck and carrying her off to a wash. 25 degrees, with pajamas I rode on the ranch expecting to recover my dog's body. When I got there there was no sign of the Yotoes or my dog. After about a 20 min search I decided to head back home, put cloths on and go back to recover the body. I got home and my wife met me at the door and said WHAT IS GOING ON! I said Coyotes just killed Charlee. She said no they didn't. When all the noise of me screaming, dogs barking and me tearing out of here with the quad woke her up she went to the back door just in time to see Charlee running up the hill, under the fence, through the back door into her crate. While I was looking for her my wife set up the MASH unit and tended to lasserations, puncture wounds and much blood.

She is recovering now and will be just fine but she was a very lucky girl. I'm getting too old to go through this kind of crap. I am getting a 22/250 with a scope and going to clean out the problem.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm glad she got away and made it back :!:

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:20 pm

AZBrittanyGuy, that's a close call. I'm glad your pup made it.

I've never had any issues living around coyotes with dogs. It seems that the problems only occur when you have a small dog (like AZBrittanyGuy), an old dog, or a dog that attacks coyotes. Although there are always outliers, coyotes don't want to mess with a 40+ lb healthy dog. Even if they could kill your dog, they know it's not worth risking a life threatening wound from a dog that's bigger than them. I was shaking my head while reading about this "problem coyote" that killed a pit bull whose owner sent him to attack the coyote. Did his owner expect the coyote would lay down and let the pit bull kill him? Sounds like a problem dog owner more than a problem coyote. Same thing with the dog on the pleasant hills page. Judging from the wounds to the pointer's muzzle, the pointer instigated the altercation by going after the coyote. If your dog attacks a coyote, then yes, it will fight back.

A better policy is to shock your dog with high stimulation when it goes after coyotes. I understand that some dogs can kill coyotes with ease, but I wouldn't risk any of my dogs' health for a dead coyote. My dad had a female golden retriever that had a couple non aggressive encounters with coyotes. One time I was on horseback and came upon her and a coyote sniffing each other's rear ends, like two dogs in a park. I strapped an e collar on her, caught her running towards a coyote again a couple weeks later, and solved the problem. Ever since then, I treat my dogs chasing coyotes the same as when they chase deer or trash birds. This is why I haven't had coyote problems.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:48 pm

buckshot1 wrote:AZBrittanyGuy, that's a close call. I'm glad your pup made it.

I've never had any issues living around coyotes with dogs. It seems that the problems only occur when you have a small dog (like AZBrittanyGuy), an old dog, or a dog that attacks coyotes. Although there are always outliers, coyotes don't want to mess with a 40+ lb healthy dog. Even if they could kill your dog, they know it's not worth risking a life threatening wound from a dog that's bigger than them.
No, the problems occur when the coyotes become emboldened through a group of them, or through acclimatization. A healthy, prime German Shepherd or an 80 lb Golden are not the small, old, or weak.

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

slistoe wrote:
buckshot1 wrote:AZBrittanyGuy, that's a close call. I'm glad your pup made it.

I've never had any issues living around coyotes with dogs. It seems that the problems only occur when you have a small dog (like AZBrittanyGuy), an old dog, or a dog that attacks coyotes. Although there are always outliers, coyotes don't want to mess with a 40+ lb healthy dog. Even if they could kill your dog, they know it's not worth risking a life threatening wound from a dog that's bigger than them.
No, the problems occur when the coyotes become emboldened through a group of them, or through acclimatization. A healthy, prime German Shepherd or an 80 lb Golden are not the small, old, or weak.
I don't doubt that large dogs have been injured or killed by coyotes, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the large dogs killed by coyotes were killed by coyotes defending themselves after the dog attacked them and were not killed by a pack of coyotes hunting them. One of my buddies has a german shepherd. The first time she heard coyotes howling when we were camping she ran off in their direction looking for blood. That was her natural reaction. If she'd gotten into a tussle with those coyotes and lost, it would not be because of "problem coyotes." As dog owners, it's our responsibility to train our dogs to stay away from things that could needlessly inflict harm upon them. While urban coyotes are certainly a problem for other reasons, I don't see roaming packs of coyotes hunting large, healthy dogs as a realistic threat that hunters need to lose sleep over. It's another bogeyman in the closet that people worry about while climbing up and down their ladders in lightning storms.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks Doug and Buchshot.

I had a close call several years ago at Greens Peak Az before a field trial. One of my full sized bitches was running a ridge and my training partner pointed out she was chasing a Coyote and behind her was two more coyotes chasing her. I was able to call her off and the other two yotoes did not pursue her. I mentioned it to several pros and a few old guard and they said that hunting tactic is not unusual for Coyotes. I have heard so many different opinions on yotoes it's amusing. Like "they never run in packs". Not the case out here.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:10 pm

buckshot1 wrote: I don't doubt that large dogs have been injured or killed by coyotes, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the large dogs killed by coyotes were killed by coyotes defending themselves after the dog attacked them and were not killed by a pack of coyotes hunting them.
Not that there is any much point to betting you because you obviously doubt the sagacity of my accounts, but I can absolutely assure you that the 3 incidents I can personally attest to the details of, the dogs were not the instigator of the action. Take it for what you will, but don't doubt that it is true.

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:10 am

Slistoe, I wasn't questioning the veracity of your accounts. I wasn't there and didn't see what happened. I'm guessing you've had some unusually bad luck with coyotes or the coyotes in your area behave more aggressively towards dogs than do coyotes in other areas. My point was that a coyote attacking a large, healthy dog is rare enough that hunters really shouldn't worry about it. Sort of like how swimmers shouldn't worry about sharks. Not to say that coyotes haven't ever attacked large dogs and sharks haven't ever bitten swimmers.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:10 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I just had my 20# Britt attacked last Thursday morning by 5 Coyotes. We live on a ridge which drops down to a paved road with a ranch on the other side. We have had this pack living down there for 7 years. They howl at my guys just before sunrise each day and my guys howl back. Coyote sightings are not unusual where I live but they have never been a problem for me. I had a live and let live attitude about them but no more. We have two fenced yards one is about an acre that surrounds our kennel building and the other our back yard. We have an 18" concrete footer along the fence line around our kennel yard but the back yard does not have it yet. I have 3 females and 1 old male that live in our house. They have a dog door and when I get up every day around Five they tear out into the back yard. I didn't realize that my little female Britt had been working on a tunnel for a prison break.

The usual howling exchange went on between the yotoes but tuned into frantic barking when Charlee (20# Alfa Female) decided she was going to make her break and run over to the ranch and get those Yotes to run from her like the Pronghorns used to do. Yotes don't run from 20# house pets. I had just poured my coffee and went to the back deck in my pajamas to find out what all the barking was about. Across the street and about 300 - 400 yards away I could see a rugby scrum of 5 yotes tearing and head shaking at some Orange and White animal. Charlee was in the process of being killed. I screamed at the animals but of course it had know effect. The last thing I saw before I ran to get my gun and get on my quad was a large yotoe griping my dog by the neck and carrying her off to a wash. 25 degrees, with pajamas I rode on the ranch expecting to recover my dog's body. When I got there there was no sign of the Yotoes or my dog. After about a 20 min search I decided to head back home, put cloths on and go back to recover the body. I got home and my wife met me at the door and said WHAT IS GOING ON! I said Coyotes just killed Charlee. She said no they didn't. When all the noise of me screaming, dogs barking and me tearing out of here with the quad woke her up she went to the back door just in time to see Charlee running up the hill, under the fence, through the back door into her crate. While I was looking for her my wife set up the MASH unit and tended to lasserations, puncture wounds and much blood.

She is recovering now and will be just fine but she was a very lucky girl. I'm getting too old to go through this kind of crap. I am getting a 22/250 with a scope and going to clean out the problem.
I am glad your dog will recover AZ.
People that think these yotes are afraid of us and our dogs just haven't had it happen to them yet.
It may be rare for yotes to attack our dogs, but does anyone on here want that rare instance be the time their dog is killed? I think not.
The only good yote is a dead one.
I have been working on the yotes around here steadily since the attempt was made on my Britt on a MLK day hunt.
Night before last, yotes howling all night around our community, full moon, my Britts howling back from their crate in the house where they sleep now. Around five in the morning my neighbor 200yds away shoot four times rapid fire. He shot one off his back porch and missed the others.
These things are not our friends folks. Around my house now I no longer see possums, coons, or skunks. Only a few nervous rabbits.
Houston, we have a problem. Google Coyote Attacks guys if you don't believe me.
Here in NC they mated with the Red Wolves they released and have created a much bigger, no pun intended, problem.
Why anyone would love a coyote is beyond me, they eat anything from mice to calves around here and everything in between. I built a five foot high woven wire fence around two acres for my dogs. There is fresh scat outside the fence almost every morning.
Rant over.
AZ guy, again glad your pup will be OK.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:32 am

The local Calgary news station did a news feature on the weekend to warn pet owners to be vigilante when walking pets in off leash areas because of the coyote problem.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks Jack,

I certainly understand your "rant". I took my little girl with us to New Mexico to see old friends this week end (Brittany People) and she seemed to be "rarin to go" so I put her on the ground with a few other dogs for a 40 min run. She normally is a 200-300 yard dog in the right cover but she never got beyond 50 yards. When we got back to our friend's home she hobbled around the house with her right front leg raised up. Although she seems to be healing great, I think she probably pulled a muscle or tendon when escaping from the Coyotes last week. It will be interesting to see if her range is affected by the incident and if so, how long will it linger.