About lost my best dog today!

volraider

About lost my best dog today!

Post by volraider » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 pm

I was hunting and my gsp crossed a bear and the black bear put the hurt on him. After finally getting him to the truck then to the vet he had to have surgery. Blitz has came thru surgery and resting. He ended up having a metal plate on each side of his leg with 5 screws thru the bone attaching the plates. While under for the surgery they cleaned the punctures, he had 2 punctures clean thru from his chin to his mouth and one very deep in the back of his mouth. They x rayed his head and found he also had a broken jaw. He will be staying at the vet for 5 days to get around the clock attention.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Re: About lost my best dog today!

Post by doco » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Sorry to hear. Hope he turns out OK! Man, talk about a crappy day.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Sorry to hear that Brian. I hope he makes a full recovery..Just thinking about it gives me a chill

Mo

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Wow! I wish him a speedy recovery.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Man, that was a close call. That must have been a heck of a scare for both of you. I hope he recovers quickly.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 pm

I wish your dog a speedy recovery. And hopefully you have a nice bear rug for your floor now.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 pm

I wish him the best and a 100% recovery. Wow!

carlsutton

Post by carlsutton » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Really sorry to learn of the bear attack. I wish the best result for both of you, and man I don't know how the heck I would handle that kind of situation. The adrenaline and emotions must have going like crazy.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm

So sorry to hear that. Bears are scary it was running thru my mind hunting grouse the last couple of days in the mountains of PA. I wish you well an a speedy recovery

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Dang Brian, that must have been something else. Good to hear he made it through the surgery. Wishing Blitz a quick recovery.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 am

Hoping for a full and speedy recovery!

Corry

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:59 am

Sorry this has happened to your dog and you. Hoping for a great recovery.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:12 am

Glad to hear that Blitz made it out of surgery. Wishing him a speedy recovery. Hope he makes a full return to be hunting next fall.

Joe

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:26 am

sorry to hear
cc

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 am

So sorry to hear of Blitz's injuries, and very glad that you could get him such good care in time. It must have been tough on you as well as him. Wishing both of you well, and sending prayers for a smooth recovery.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 am

Wow!.. really sorry... I hope Blitz makes a full recovery!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:27 am

Wow that's scary. sorry to hear. Hope you don't find the timing of this question rude, but how did you separate the two?

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:46 am

Hattrick wrote:So sorry to hear that. Bears are scary it was running thru my mind hunting grouse the last couple of days in the mountains of PA. I wish you well an a speedy recovery

46 YRS HUNTING GROUSE IN NORTHCENTRAL PA, BEAR COUNTRY AND never had or heard of bear attack on dog.
heck, i have them in my yard and my lab has jumped on their backs at midnight eating apples.
very strange attack .maybe some more details of it.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 am

JIM K wrote:
Hattrick wrote:So sorry to hear that. Bears are scary it was running thru my mind hunting grouse the last couple of days in the mountains of PA. I wish you well an a speedy recovery

46 YRS HUNTING GROUSE IN NORTHCENTRAL PA, BEAR COUNTRY AND never had or heard of bear attack on dog.
heck, i have them in my yard and my lab has jumped on their backs at midnight eating apples.
When I was guiding in alaska, the lodge I worked at had a big st bernard. It loved to patrol the dump and chase the bears. Chased the wrong bear one day and had to be air lifted out to anchorage. Got lucky with just cuts and scratches and punctures but lost a good amount of blood.

Hope to hear about a full recovery!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:51 pm

I wish you luck with his recovery - hope he does really well!

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Good luck. Had a Black and Tan at the vet this week that mixed it up with a bear, broke his front leg bad enough it had to be amputated.

denvergsp

Post by denvergsp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Hoping for a speedy recovery. I had the chance to watch Blitz run at Tom's a few months ago. He seems like a special dog.

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Dang Brian I hope Blitz pulls through!

Hickboyaf

Post by Hickboyaf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:24 am

Im sorry to make you relive the situation, but what was your first reaction when you found the dog? What did you do as far a preparation to get the dog to the vet. Also how far did you have to travel to the vet? I found my gsp nose to nose with a javilena last week out hunting and I nearly had a heart attack after hearing stories of the nasty rodents attacking and severly hurting dogs with there teeth. The pig never backed down even with me less then 5 yards away once Remington recalled and came to me. The pig just stood there and stared at me snapping his teeth and grunting. As it walked away in no hurry I just kept thinking if I showed up to a dog torn up I would have had a 10 min sprint to the truck with out a dog In my arms then a 40 min+ drive not obeying the laws to get to a vet. What ever you did it was right because Blitz has pulled thru thus far. Glad to hear he is fine and wish both him and you a speedy recovery.

volraider

Post by volraider » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:34 am

We were hunting an old cut, my buddy was 40 yards above me on a logging road and I was parallel him below on a logging road. The dogs were hunting above, below, and between us, we came together at the end and dropped off into another cut then started hunting our way back out. We came to the old cut we had just hunted and the dog went into the cut, this cut was full of MTN Laural, he wasn't 30 yards from us when the fight happened. The other 2 dogs went toward the fight and we started yelling and screaming going that way, this is probably what saved Blitz's life. The fight only lasted 5-10 seconds a the most. There was a loud sound, fight sound, and then Blitz yelping. Blitz came crashing, running to the lower logging road... You could tell the leg was broke as soon as we saw him and his face was bleeding very bad.... We thought at first he might have impaled a branch from the bottom of his chin up thru his snout, but after seeing the bite print on his face and chin we knew it had to be a bear. We did not see the bear. Living where we live and the vets seeing enough bear attacks also confirmed it was a bear. Imagine a bear with his mouth wide open and biting down on a dogs head and that was exactly where the punctures were. Where we hunt is known for having a large population of black bears. Our friends who bear hunt killed 18 last season in this area so we know they are there.

Most times we don't see bears because they run before we ever get to them but this was a perfect storm. My buddy was above and I was below and dogs were all around so the bear had no where to go so he just hunkered down. When we came back thru the dog just ran right into the bear and the bear's only option was to stand and fight. That's what we think happened..

Blitz is doing good. The vet called yesterday and said he went outside to use the bathroom and he was putting pressure on the front leg, this is good according to the vet. He also ate some can food which is also a good thing. They don't think there will be any issue with the jaw, it was broke far enough back that he should be fine. The big thing is infection and so far he's not ran a fever so everything is looking good on that front also. If he maintains his current condition we will bring him on Monday.
Last edited by volraider on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Good to hear he is doing better. Couldnt imagine having to go through that with my dog, and hope I never have to.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 pm

wow what a story. hoping for a speedy recovery, good luck.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Well I live in Pa and I have been hunting for 35 years and I HAVE SEEN A BEAR ATTACK A DOG!!! TWICE! So I don't doubt it one bit, or think that it's at all unusual. :roll: With the bear population as high as it is, it's gonna happen sometimes. I have also seen coyotes attack a domestic dog... in my neighbors yard... it happens. Hope your dog makes a full recovery and thanks for sharing the story.

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:06 pm

No worries. With a name like Blitz, he will be up and around in no time! :D

Sending positive thoughts your way.

asc

Post by asc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Man, sorry to hear of that, glad your dog is going to pull thru.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Good to hear Blitz is doing good...He is worth every penny you put into him...He is a good one..
He was going to be a great contender at the Cover trial...Thats one tough GSP.

Had a sleeping black bear on point in Pa about 12 ft away ..Got pretty intense..Bear wasn't backing down to it seen me and yelled whoa.
i think if my dog jumped on it's back it would of been ground meat.
Last edited by rschmeider on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Brian, I call that a great day, he will live to hunt again.

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Wow, sorry to hear about the trouble, and glad Blitz is doing okay Brian.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:35 am

Man, that had to be one of the most horrible 10 second of your life hearing that commotion, then having your Blitz come to you like that. Real glad he is making it to recovery.

Please keep us informed as to his well being.
Good luck.

I have not had the attack happen but had an encounter.

This was maybe 15 years ago. I had a young French Brit (Black Bart), that was a real A$##. Soaking wet 35 pounds, maybe.He wanted to fight every male dog around.
In the spring we went up a little mountain looking for woodcock to train on. I heard his bell going through the side hill of the woods in some young saplings, ding, ding, ding, then it stopped. So I focused on the last ding working my way there. I got maybe 20 yards from him and I could just see him standing there. His feet wide apart, hair up on his back head low lips curled and as I got closer heard him growling. I really did not know what to think and thought it funny and just said to him what the he!! is wrong with you. He never looked at me till I got about 10 yards from him, he glanced my way then I saw it. About a 300 pounder just behind a tree head out facing Bart and me. They were in a Stand off. I yelled at the top of my lungs to Bart NO!! WHOA!! When I did the Bear took off. Thank God it went the other direction and Bart stayed put. If that Bear had come the other direction, I do not think I could have got the gun out of the holster. But the whole thing livened the day up some. I do not know what goes through a dogs head at times.

volraider

Post by volraider » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Blitz came home today and is enjoying life. We go back in 2 weeks to x-ray the jaw again to make sure it's healing well. If you didn't see the swelling and scar you would never know anything was wrong with his leg, he's not limping and he wants to go. The next 10 weeks of house and crate life is going to kill him but hopefully being spoiled by the kids and wife will make up for him not hunting.... As good as that sounds I'm positive he would rather be in the woods.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Dayum Brian! That's terrible! Good to hear he'll be on the mend, though he's probably not going to be happy missing the rest of Grouse Season :cry:

If he's not going to run from them, ya better teach him to point 'em!

Short story: I got to watch one of my pups point a Bear for his owner a number of years ago while Grousin about. Pup slams a heck of a nice and intense point on a heavy brush/slash pile in the middle of a 4-5 year old cut and I'm up the hill above and looking down into the cover on the situation as it unfolded. His owner started to walk in at the ready and a young 100ish pound Bear stands up out of the slash at about 15-20 feet, Bear looks at him, he looks at it, Bear goes one way, he the other and the pup just standing there in the middle looking around in bewilderment. Took me a good 5 minutes of wiping the tears off my face and trying to catch my breath before I could continue on. :lol:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:37 am

Looks like he is in good hands with lots of TLC.
Glad he is doing so well and not really traumatized... I would have been.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Sorry to hear of Blitz's "encounter" but happy that he is on the mend.

Sending lots of positive thought for a swift & full recovery!

volraider

Post by volraider » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 pm

My wife took Blitz to the vet today for a follow up. His leg started swelling Monday and he has started limping which is something he hadn't done up to this point. The vet put him back on meds for the swelling and pain plus he put a cast on his leg. I don't know if that was for my wife's peace of mind or he really needed it. She said he wasn't too concerned and he said it was normal with a the injury he had. The Jaw was still aligned and he was really pleased with its healing. It's been hard to keep a dog full of energy who's use to hunting a couple of days a week to stand still and not jump and run. He's a kennel dog but has adjusted to the house great and he's not a single accident in his kennel or house. Someone has to have a hold of him at all times, if he were to jump and land on his leg, he would be facing more surgery and longer healing time.

Blitz and his new cast!

Rdfhunter

Post by Rdfhunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Speedy recovery

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Good to hear Brian. Sounds like he is in great hands...:)

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm

Glad to hear Blitz is making progress. It will certainly remain one heck of a story for years to come.

volraider

Post by volraider » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Blitz and his new cast

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 am

I think the worst point about owning shorthairs is their high pain tolerance and energy level!! Mine has had some pretty bad cuts on her feet and it was almost impossible to keep her down. I considered asking the vet for tranquilizers at one time just to take the edge off. It looks like you have your work cut out for you. Hopefully, the recovery is a quick one.