Idaho trialers, Training group?

Waterdogs1

Idaho trialers, Training group?

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 pm

I was wondering if their were any local guys that anyone new of that would be good to train with. I live in Nampa.

Gordon Guy

Re: Idaho trialers, Training group?

Post by Gordon Guy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Since your user name is Waterdog...Are you interested in Retrievers, Flushing dogs or pointing dogs?

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:41 am

I train Retrievers have a German Shorthair that is nine months old that I would like to run. I know of a few trainers around the area one Dave Walker not sure if he is active in trial anymore. Looking for some folks to train with a few times a week someone good to learn from. I have birds and access to good ground with wild birds.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 am

You said .."someone good that you could learn from" leaves me out :oops:

Since you're a retriever guy, have birds and grounds, It sounds as if you have "some" experience with dogs. Are you fimiliar The GSP club of ID? The club is really active as far as putting on AKC trials and a few AF trials and AKC tests. As well as NSTRA and a few local competitions. The club also has scheduled weekly training sessions starting the first week of June and end the last of August. The training sessions take place north of Eagle and are open to all to watch. There are several folks that get together to train outside of that event. There are many knowledgeable people (People who have successfully campaigned dogs at the Master Hunter/Field Championship level) at these events that almost anyone could learn from. Check out the website for more info

http://www.gspcidaho.org/

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Gordon Guy, Isnt there a Boise Valley pointing dog club ?

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Yes, there is, They are more into American Field events of which I'm not very fimiliar with. The link to their website is located on the GSP Clubs links page. The magazine "The Field" will give you schedule information to events (Trials) that they are putting on. Doc Favor may know more about those guys than I do.

There's also a NAVHDA chapter as well. And again I don't know much about them.

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 pm

There is a GSP of Idaho and they are in the Boise area. I am sure they would be a great help with your GSP.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:21 pm

I went to one of their training day last year before I got my pup. I met Ray Lorondo and we trained some missed his call tonight. I was so busy last summer running hunt test with my retrievers I didn't get to go watch many trials. I went to some years ago when my dads friend was trialing. I want to run trial but it sounds like I need to start working my pup off of horse back. I have had more fun with this young dog than I have had in a long time with dogs. I love my retrievers but man their is nothing like watching a pointing dog work. Idaho is better suited for Field trail pointing dog than retrievers. It is hard to find good water but upland we have plenty. I am going to get involved with the clubs in the area. I want to train my dog myself but what concerns me is if what I have been doing is right for a trial dog. I am going to finish some titles on some retrievers but I am dedicated to do the best I can with my Shorthair. If anyone want to train or is in the area and want to do some hunting let me know.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm

I've been over this way all week, we have a house in Kuna, but can hardly pass off any of my antics as training...mostly racking up a nice stack of empty hulls without much to show for it!!! Freakin' got outbirdogged today by my wife's pointer with her handling so maybe she'd be one to go to for advice!! :lol: :lol:

RayLo's the man! Do what he does!

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:34 pm

I train outside of Kuna from now till the cheat grass gets bad. The snow has messed up my retriever training but I have been working my GSP pup. I havn't even hunted ducks in two weeks. Nice looking horse in your Avatar.