Cat Poop

dreamerofdreams

Cat Poop

Post by dreamerofdreams » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Any way to get her to stop eating it? I've got a gate up, but she's big enough to jump it now. She comes right back when I call her, but not before she's snarfed a mouthful. Then she comes and sticks her face at mine and pants...yuck.

Gertie

Re: Cat Poop

Post by Gertie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Mine ate kitty-roca every chance she got when she was a puppy but seems to have outgrow it. I definitely feel for ya. It sure is gross :?
Last edited by Gertie on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:21 pm

I keep my cat's litter in a small room in the basement which has a cat door just big enough for the cat. :)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Try a top entry cat litter box.

D Bros.

Post by D Bros. » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:16 pm

*snork*

Sorry, had to laugh. Brought back memories of my black Lab, Deacon. He used to shove his head into my cat Buster's litterbox, and scarf some butt nuggets. :mrgreen:

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 am

trash break

Preacher
Location: Strongs, MI (15 miles past the middle of nowhere), in da U.P. eh

Post by Preacher » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I dont have any suggestion on how to stop it, but a story of a recent event for a reason why. We have friends that had a brittney, which was about a year old. She was a good pup, I went hunting with her once and she showed a lot of promise. Well one day she got into their cats litter (the kind that clumps), which sucked up all the moisture in her, and bound her up something terrible. Somehow her intestine got twisted in the process. Over the course of several days there were a couple of surgeries and they ended up loosing her. So hopfully you figure out a way to keep her from eating it or at least make sure she is not getting any cluming litter. Good luck.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Unfortunately it's a rental so messing with the doors is out. Also I'm not sure they make a door big enough for my large cat that is too small for my small britt!

I'll try the top entry litter box. We use wheat litter so hopefully that's not as bad as the stuff in Preacher's story...

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Dang cat poop is apparently a universal dog treat.

My wife recently started feeding a modified raw diet to the cats, and we got an unexpected benefit. Not only does the poop no longer stink, but the dogs have lost interest in it.

I had a design of a litter box enclosure in mind that I might have built had the dogs continued to chase cat turds. Basically a square box (night stand size-ish) with a hinged top. Small opening for the cats in one corner, with a partition just inside that made a turn about a foot in. Dogs would not have been able to get their heads in ...then just sit the litter box container inside and close the top. Line the bottom of the whole shebang with one of those fake grass looking welcome mats - cut to size. The mat would have captured the litter that the cats tend to track out of the box - and because they had to walk out the "hallway" it would have been a long enough journey to get all the litter off. Use a decent plywood with a good finish on the outside that you can stain/varnish or whatever, and you could have piece of furniture that doesn't look nearly as bad as what it contains.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 am

The cat poop issue is a perennial one at our house, and we have not found a good solution until we switched cat food to EVO grain free ration. We did this because of a grain allergy in one of the dogs who often scarfed the cat food. The unexpected side effect was that the cat poop now has no odour and the dogs are staying away from the litter box. They still eat the cat food if I turn my back though, and the resulting gas is fearful. The cost of the grain free cat food is ridiculously high, but the litter box benefits are worth it and the cat has never looked so well.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 pm

They all love it!.. +1 on Trash breaking, but good luck! Or you could teach the dog to brush his own teeth!.. :roll: our old Lab used to roll the fresh one's around to get the extra sprinkles on'em! :mrgreen: It seems like heroin to them... once they start, yer in fer an uphill battle to stop it!

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:55 pm

I would have her put to sleep 8) no just joking nothing like a fresh cat log or a smokin pile of horse dung
Fester

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:18 pm

I have always wondered why purina never came out with a cat poop flavored dog food.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Help me be smart with trash breaking.

Dog is new to the collar. She's conditioned to wear it and I've just started this past week overlaying it on the checkcord. My thought is that trashbreaking her right now is stupid but the darn animal just put a hole in the drywall to get to the cat poop. :evil:

Also, who knows anything about repairing drywall?

Preacher
Location: Strongs, MI (15 miles past the middle of nowhere), in da U.P. eh

Post by Preacher » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:10 pm

dreamerofdreams wrote:Help me be smart with trash breaking.

Dog is new to the collar. She's conditioned to wear it and I've just started this past week overlaying it on the checkcord. My thought is that trashbreaking her right now is stupid but the darn animal just put a hole in the drywall to get to the cat poop. :evil:

How big of a hole in the dry wall will determine the repair. If small - a little spackle or drywall mud will do / if bigger than a golf ball and smaller than a soft ball - get a pencil and tie a piece of fishing line to it, then thread that fishing line through the middle of a piece of window screen slightly larger than the hole, shove all that into the hole while holding on to the non-pencil end of the line and pull it to give you a backing while you fill it with drywall mud / if it is larger you will have to cut out the damaged section and replace it with a new section, just make sure you cut enough out that you have some studs to screw the new piece into.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 am

dreamerofdreams wrote:Help me be smart with trash breaking.

I think if she's conditioned to the collar and wont associate the shock with the collar but rather the action, she's ready for trashbreaking. Just give her a good jolt every time she goes near/is paying attention to the litter box. I'd also to it for the drywall before that becomes a fun activity to pass the time for her.