Pigeon Color

ROTTnBRITT

Pigeon Color

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:30 am

I was wondering what everybodys thoughts are on pigeon color for dog training.
Do you care what color they are? Does it matter if the dog is able to see them planted in the grass or whatever?
I came a cross a website one time where this guy breeds for a certain two tone brown color (kind of looked like quail fearhers in a way.) to use for dog training. More natrual as far as color goes I guess.

I have mostly white birds and a few Ash reds. Just curious what you think?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon Color

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 am

Darker birds are easier to hide if you don't have snow. But it should make little difference otherwise.

Ezzy

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:56 am

Dogs don't see the same vivid colors we do. Everything is dulled down and white is the easiest color for them to pick out. I prefer whote bords, though. If the cover isn't thick enough to fully cover the bird I usually look for another spot to plant the bird. If I am stuck with that spot I take a big fountain cup like you would get from the convenience store - 32 oz is the best - and paint is a dark color. Knock the bottom out of it, put the bird's head under his wing and dtick him in the cup. He won't wake up for days if you never get there alm you uave to do is kick the cup to flish him out.

White bords are easier for dogs to see get up and I believe get a dog more excited. A lot of people say they are great targets for hawk and that makes sense, but I have never seen any evidence that they get picked off more than dark birds.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 am

Apart from a training consideration, whites seemingly attract raptors...as do roller or tumbler stock, especially when white.
Hereabouts, anyway.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:00 am

I like the white ones for Stop To Flush training, the dogs see them well against most backgrounds.
Hawks seem to like white ones a lot too :(

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm

first go this year @ breeding pigeons [for training], made the commitment to breed only dark birds, cull those of light colour.
most of the very light greys will be gone soon, a couple have proven to have dark birds when mated to the dark males.

............tasi

larry

Post by larry » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:22 am

Does not matter to me, they all smell the same and I try to hide them in cover no matter what color.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:34 am

The white ones can be used as doves at weddings and other events. Could get a little extra income off that.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 am

I have had falcons kill a lot of white birds and they would kill almost one per flight. The darker birds didn't get hit anywhere close to the whites so I found a guy that will get me raceing squeekers for $5.00.

olor doesn't matter anyway if your using launchers.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:21 am

I can't imagine that color matters when the bird is in a launcher in an over grown fence row. I kind of like the white ones.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am

I got a mix of colors for my brood stock, pair whites, pair tan, and a pair grizzly (black white and grey mottled), after a slow start I am finally getting some babies. Along with some ferrals and rollers. Ironically the tan "pair" was not a pair and one of them has paired up with a roller. so I am not sure what quality of bird I'll get from them, my one bird I had trap trained I lost on it's first throw of about 1 mile.