Field Trial question

Ghosted3

Field Trial question

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Do they allow observers at these events or is it more like dog handler / owner only kinda things? I would love to go watch a few of these.

Corry

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Field Trial question

Post by Neil » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 pm

All that I know of allow a gallery, most often mounted, although you will see some walking in foot handled stakes. Some of the bigger continuous course trials, such as the NC at Ames even have a car gallery. A few still have a birdfield. Come on out, even if you just get to watch the breakaway, you will have fun, meet some nice folks, and get to talk dogs.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Incredibly open to newbies. That's a big part of the fun. In NSTRA you can ride along on the Mule with the judge and ask all the questions you want and in broke dog stakes you can take a horse and ride the gallery all day. In fact, if the handlers didb't jave a big group of people behind them you would thnk sometying was wrong. If you don't have a horse you can walk if you can keep up, but I don't own a horse and have never not had one offered to me. Besides that you can usually find someone ho is tagging along in a Mule or at the very least you could ride the dog truck.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:27 am

I am going to have to find one in my area sometime this spring and go watch (what I can anyways) one. I love to watch em in action!

Corry

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:27 am

I highly recommend doing this. I was able to take my horse out and follow around the judges and talk with them. I did get a good view of what goes on as far as what different breeds and competitor's were all about. I witnessed a lot in four days of riding including some good and bad dog work, judges ignoring dogs and competitors, gripes vented at judges about event organizers, sore losers, and some politics. I also was banned for a year which I think is a great accomplishment for not having a dog entered. Hopefully not all events are not like my local AKC Brittany events.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:13 am

What did you do to get banned?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 am

Corry, there a lot of weekend/week trials coming in the next few weeks, months, just west of Springfield near Asland. I will be there (weather permitting) Feb 9th to pick up a horse. That weekend is the horseback trial. Then the week/weekend of March 8-10th there is a walking US Complete CH. The week/weekend immediately after that there is the Red Setter national, along with other walking stakes. Stop out.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 am

I have yet to be to a trial where there weren't accommodations made for a gallery or spectators. The tourney hunts have standing room around the fields and the FT's Ive been too had either a clubhouse where you could see the field or there has been a gallery wagon. Also like has been said you can generally walk or ride the gallery if you want. If you don't have a horse there is sometimes someone willing to let you borrow a pony and there are sometimes a wrangler who will rent a horse by the brace or by the day. I would say that either way someone will help you get out and see whats happening.

Jim

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 am

gotpointers wrote:I highly recommend doing this. I was able to take my horse out and follow around the judges and talk with them. I did get a good view of what goes on as far as what different breeds and competitor's were all about. I witnessed a lot in four days of riding including some good and bad dog work, judges ignoring dogs and competitors, gripes vented at judges about event organizers, sore losers, and some politics. I also was banned for a year which I think is a great accomplishment for not having a dog entered. Hopefully not all events are not like my local AKC Brittany events.
ROFLMBO

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm

I would like to know the back story, I would guess it was an informal ban, AKC rarely bans for longer than 6 months, and then it is for egregious actions. For the non-handler, I would think it would have to be a fist fight or harm to a dog.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:30 pm

I was surprised at how lay-back it was when I first started attending. The spaniel guys seem pretty layback, too. The retriever events are too up tight for my liking, but the birddog events are very relaxed. You'll probably see some back biting, but overall is good.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Yup, gotta go, too bad the wife isnt into this kind of stuff, O well, me and the son, Boys weekend!

Corry

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:42 am

Where exactly is Hillsboro IL? There are several AKC and AF trials coming up all over there should be 1-2 within driving distance.

Jim

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:19 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:Where exactly is Hillsboro IL?
South of Springfield

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:What did you do to get banned?
An old guy from the Brittany club came at me and shoved me following a little verbal stuff that went back and forth. He supposedly "perceived" an attack was imminent by me. He was old compared to me so I would not have thought to strike him even after he laid hands on me though.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 am

You have to be careful, brittney folk are crazy! :evil:

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 am

I agree!! And they stick together too like a pack of piranhas. It's okay their puppy stakes are closed breed anyways. And after that I'm sure I could run a multiple time CH in one of their events and still not place.

By the way that's a beautiful setter. What's the breeding?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 am

Long Gone Boston and the dam is out of Long Gone George and aGrouse Ridge Reroy bitch.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:08 am

Winchey wrote:You have to be careful, brittney folk are crazy! :evil:
Yes we are :!: It comes from too much line breeding(in-breeding??), drinking too much anti-freeze, changing dog food all the time, and having pointers mixed in our past bloodlines(??). :lol: :lol: :lol:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 am

deseeker wrote:
Winchey wrote:You have to be careful, brittney folk are crazy! :evil:
Yes we are :!: It comes from too much line breeding(in-breeding??), drinking too much anti-freeze, changing dog food all the time, and having pointers mixed in our past bloodlines(??). :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is the surreptitious pointer mix that brought with it the crazy.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

Ghosted3 wrote:I am going to have to find one in my area sometime this spring and go watch (what I can anyways) one. I love to watch em in action!

Corry

Come March at Pinckneyville Pyramid State Park, you will most likely have 2 weeks of trialing on the same grounds, in that the NGSPA Reg 5 Championship and the NGPDA (Allbreed) National Championship will be running. I should be there 5 or 6 days for the Allbreed National which will start sunday March 17th.
The Reg 5 Championship preceeds it the week before I do believe. March 11th.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:54 am

How can you call it an "All Breed National Championship ", when it is restricted? No pointers, setters, or even Brittanys (which are from France). So it is not even for just Continental breeds. Based on the likely winner I think of it as another GSP NC, making about 12 national champions a yeat.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Neil wrote:How can you call it an "All Breed National Championship ", when it is restricted? No pointers, setters, or even Brittanys (which are from France). So it is not even for just Continental breeds. Based on the likely winner I think of it as another GSP NC, making about 12 national champions a yeat.
NGPDA -National German Pointing Dog Association-All German breeds.

Doug

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 pm

I am aware of the name. Just wondering why it is called an All Breed?

I did not know a Vizsla was considered a German dog.

Has any breed other than GSP ever won (not placed)?

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
South of Springfield

Ya, we are kind centered between Springfield, Il. and St. Louis, Mo.
Corn on all 4 sides btw.

Corry

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:
PntrRookie wrote:
South of Springfield

Ya, we are kind centered between Springfield, Il. and St. Louis, Mo.
Corn on all 4 sides btw.

Corry

There should be sent real trials pretty close to you couple at chandlerville and a couple at Pinckney bill for sure..... what breed you running? Lots of Britt trials around you I think.

Jim

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote: There should be sent real trials pretty close to you couple at chandlerville and a couple at Pinckney bill for sure..... what breed you running? Lots of Britt trials around you I think.

Jim

Not running, just want to watch. Get part of the experience, and the joy of watching what I can :D

Corry

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 am

Neil wrote:I am aware of the name. Just wondering why it is called an All Breed?

I did not know a Vizsla was considered a German dog.

Has any breed other than GSP ever won (not placed)?

All German Pointing Breed.....as trialers I am sure you are aware we have our own Acronyms....shortened up to All Breed.
Symantics really Neal....

As far as Viszlas being a german dog....well I wont delve to much into that, if a Vizsla owner would like to comment I would rather they did, I will say this common discussion, right or wrong is the redevolpment of the vizsla in the early 1900's some speculate was do in large part to the GSP and GWP, for both the Vizsla and the Wirehaired Vizlsa.

No idea on the third one I would have to do some research on that.

Maybe some do not remember the Hey Day of the Allbreed and the Championship being ran in Northern illinois on the Green River grounds, it was the Crown Jewel of Nationals to win.
I plan on working hard with this organization to maybe start a website, with History, past winners etc......We have great grounds to run on with good folks running it......As far as I am concerned I wont run any national but this one, it is the one I want, and for reasons not so far from those like you Neil that want to take a run at Ames..Tradition plays a big part of it for me.
You wanna piece of it Neil buy into a german breed.

We have been through the name crap every year.....much as your beloved continental, yes it is open for the north american continent of breeds but pretty sure it is open only to pointers and setters and no continental breeds....
The Free For All..............is it free for all dogs to run, free for all breeds to enter? Why the name?....
I expect more from you Neil as to be so petty on questioning the name of a Championship with a man of your past trialing history, and I say that with all do respect Sir....

12 nationals for the GSP? Not even close Neil, you know that but I do appreciate your cander Sir...As far as I am concerned, there are 3 nationals for the GSP. Eureka, Booneville, and Pinckneyville in which the first two I will never run in.
None the less show up at Pinckneyville the second week of March and enjoy the events, food and fare.

I would be willing to answerr more questions if anyone has them on this.
Thank You

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:24 pm

In saying there are only 3 GSP National Championships, you are only counting locations, at each location there are Chmpionships for:

Open All-Age
Am All-Age
Open Shooting Dog
Am Shooting Dog

That makes 12 GPSs named National Champion each year, or since some have won both All-Age and Shooting Dog at the same location, perhaps one dog with 12 titles.

I think it worthy of note, as compared to those breeds that only have 1 or at most 2 National Championships.

Oh, I didn't include the AKC National Gun Dog Championships, which is 2 more, retrieving and non-retrieving.

And as far as the pointer/setter Continental Championship, it never had anything to do with the European Continent and the dogs that came from there. From the begging it was for the dogs of the North American Continent.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Neil wrote:In saying there are only 3 GSP National Championships, you are only counting locations, at each location there are Chmpionships for:

Open All-Age
Am All-Age
Open Shooting Dog
Am Shooting Dog

That makes 12 GPSs named National Champion each year, or since some have won both All-Age and Shooting Dog at the same location, perhaps one dog with 12 titles.

I think it worthy of note, as compared to those breeds that only have 1 or at most 2 National Championships.

Oh, I didn't include the AKC National Gun Dog Championships, which is 2 more, retrieving and non-retrieving.

And as far as the pointer/setter Continental Championship, it never had anything to do with the European Continent and the dogs that came from there. From the begging it was for the dogs of the North American Continent.

Last I checked we do not have a National Am AA at those 3 venues. But we do have Futurities at two and a derby at the other, would that make them a National Derby Ch/ National Futurity CH?
You want to consider those seperate Nationals feel free...
I am pretty sure I said North American Continent in regards to your Continental......
Got an answer for your Free For ALL? How bout the Buck Tuck, The Pelican, The Broomhill, the Masters Open is that a golf qualifier? There names of repsectable trials. Im sure there are more important issues withing trialing that we could address than why it is called what it is.
Akc nationals is not restricted to GSP's is it?
As I said before Neil the only National I care to win is (Your love to hate to call it the ALLBREED...... :).....
Like I said Neil, grab a German and come n play

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Vizslas are Hungarian, never heard of them being considered german dogs.

The breed has almost been wiped out more than once, and was rebuilt with the use of other breeds. I had always assumed pointers were used, but it might've been GSP's as well.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

phermes1 wrote:Vizslas are Hungarian, never heard of them being considered german dogs.

The breed has almost been wiped out more than once, and was rebuilt with the use of other breeds. I had always assumed pointers were used, but it might've been GSP's as well.

It is my understanding, and I may be completely off hilt here that it was more than just gsp's, but gsp's gwp's, weims and pointer at the turn of the 1900's, for nothing more than what you stated to help rebuild.

No idea if that is the reason for them being allowed in the NGPDA being a Hungarian breed of origin....just my thoughts..

8)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Look all I'm saying is that every year there are 3 Open All-Age National Champion, and in most years there are 5 Open Gun Dog/Shooting Dog National Champion GSPs.

I am not saying that a bad thing, just a fact.

And if I ever want to upgrade I will go directly to a pointer.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Neil wrote:Look all I'm saying is that every year there are 3 Open All-Age National Champion, and in most years there are 5 Open Gun Dog/Shooting Dog National Champion GSPs.

I am not saying that a bad thing, just a fact.

And if I ever want to upgrade I will go directly to a pointer.
Upgrades are not always bad Neil....

But to the original posters question. Plenty of trials in southern Illinois gsp, Britt, pointer to be seen.

Also if anyone shows up at allbreed with a place needed I am sure I will have an extra bed to share in a hotel in town. By an extra bed I mean one to yourself ya freaks.....

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 am

I wonder if the football fans would enjoy multiple super bowls every year. :D

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 am

lvrgsp wrote: It is my understanding, and I may be completely off hilt here that it was more than just gsp's, but gsp's gwp's, weims and pointer at the turn of the 1900's, for nothing more than what you stated to help rebuild.

No idea if that is the reason for them being allowed in the NGPDA being a Hungarian breed of origin....just my thoughts..

8)
I don't really know the details. I always heard pointers were used, and judging from what I've heard about how stringent the Hungarians are about breeding standards, I'd be surprised if they rebuilt the breed using lots of different breeds. I'd figure on them doing it in a fairly controlled way. At least by today's standards, they are pretty controlling in terms of who is/is not allowed to be bred. I don't know, just my impression, I am not an expert.

Either way, I would be interested to know how the NGPDA decided to include Vizslas. Just out of curiosity.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 am

gotpointers wrote:I wonder if the football fans would enjoy multiple super bowls every year. :D
Actually that is how we got the Suprt Bowl, the NFL and AFL Ch had a playoff.

And then there was the ABA/NBA thing.

It seems to work better for the GSPs.

And is clear to me why V's and not Britts.