Antifreeze Will Now Contain Bitter Taste

Doc E

Antifreeze Will Now Contain Bitter Taste

Post by Doc E » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 am

The Consumer Specialty Products Association and the Humane Society Legislative Fund have announced that the U.S. antifreeze industry will begin voluntarily adding a bitter flavoring agent to discourage animals and children from ingesting antifreeze and other products containing ethylene glycol.
Ethylene glycol is highly toxic, with a sweet smell and taste that attracts both animals and children. It is rapidly absorbed, which leads to systemic poisoning that starts with the central nervous system.
If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze or any substance containing ethylene glycol, you should seek immediate veterinary care. Also carefully read labels on all antifreeze and automotive coolant products in your home and follow instructions on how to use, store and dispose of them

The Link : http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... n=20130128

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Antifreeze Will Now Contain Bitter Taste

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am

It's about time!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Gees agree it is about time...I am sure the companies will market that and also be sure to add extra money then it will cost to add the flavoring to the product

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:01 pm

I am sure. :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Gees agree it is about time...I am sure the companies will market that and also be sure to add extra money then it will cost to add the flavoring to the product
Guess if everyone expects it they might as well. :roll: Always hate to disappoint the customers. I have heard it said many times that no good deed will go unpunished, or people will find what they are looking for. :oops:

Ezzy

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm

There goes my rat poison.

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Why has antifreeze not been bitter since it's invention?

With that said, Personal responsibility goes a long way, and helps in many matters of life.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 pm

well, I don't deny that it's a good idea, but antifreeze is the best squirrel poison around and the amounts needed to zap squirrels (jar lid full, held on a fencepost or a tree with tape) is minimal. Guess I'd best stock up. Squirrels have expensively damaged many a home.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 pm

now what am i to water the cats with... hhahah

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:Gees agree it is about time...I am sure the companies will market that and also be sure to add extra money then it will cost to add the flavoring to the product
Guess if everyone expects it they might as well. :roll: Always hate to disappoint the customers. I have heard it said many times that no good deed will go unpunished, or people will find what they are looking for. :oops:

Ezzy

Seriously ...These companies didn't do this under their own volition ..Though the companies are doing it " publicly voluntarily" There had to be pressure put on them to force their hand on this..Or they would have done this decades ago by themselves ..http://www.seco.noaa.gov/ENV/Factsheets/antifreeze.html scroll down
What is the incidence of ethylene glycol poisoning in humans?

According to the Annual Reports of the American Association of Poison Control Centers covering 1991 to 1994, about 3,400 poisonings related to ethylene glycol occur each year with about 20% of these incidents reported among children under six
Much less the animals that are poisoned on purpose or worse family pet by accident

So knowing full well how Corporations are in todays world not in the good ole days yes I fully expect them to make the best of marketing where they can make extra money off of.

:roll:

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

kninebirddog wrote: So knowing full well how Corporations are in todays world not in the good ole days yes I fully expect them to make the best of marketing where they can make extra money off of.

Yes, at least for the time being, this is still America :!:

Are you becoming Obamafied :?:

Heaven forbid that a company makes a profit --- and if they do, all the profits should go to the poor and needy :roll: