Bob West training videos

big_fish

Bob West training videos

Post by big_fish » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 pm

I am new to pointer training with my new 8 week old brittany. I saw in gun dog mag 2 videos offered by Bob West and Rick Van Etten titles are puppy training and intermediate training for pointers. Any one know anything about these are they good or a waist of my time ? I have read alot of good on Bob West in researching him. Thanks

campgsp

Re: Bob West training videos

Post by campgsp » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:00 am

I haven't watched his video. But I met him at the navhda annual meeting last weekend. We chatted for a while and he knows his stuff. Very nice guy and informative.

All the videos out there and each training techniques are basically the same. Watch 5
Different videos by different trainers and the only thing different you'll find is what they think should come first and last. The approach is the same with little differences. Like clicker instead of treat or leash/ cc.

Check the video out never know.

southwayno

Post by southwayno » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:25 am

Don't waste your time or money on his videos. They are bad. He doesn't even touch on e-collar's.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 am

southwayno wrote:Don't waste your time or money on his videos. They are bad. He doesn't even touch on e-collar's.
So you don't think you can train without an e collar?

Bob knows what he is doing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 am

Would be my guess that more trainers today use the Bob West method of training than any other by far. I use an e-collar but you don't teach a dog with it. The e-collar is nothing more than a long check cord. Those are instruments of control and not teaching.

Ezzy

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:55 am

Let me sum it up real quick. The e-collar is for reinforcement, not training!

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 am

I dont know who Bob West is but im wondering if anyone here knows where i can buy the Bill West training video? At one time you could buy it on Uplandbirddogs.com.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:59 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 pm

sckwest1 wrote:Let me sum it up real quick. The e-collar is for reinforcement, not training!
I know a couple of pros who would disagree. As do I.

Doug

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Difference is what makes the world go around, I would venture to say there are several pros that would disagree with you along with myself, LOL.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 pm

sckwest1 wrote:Difference is what makes the world go around, I would venture to say there are several pros that would disagree with you along with myself, LOL.
Touche'

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Not to sound like a smart Alec but how would you use an e-collar to re-enforce snake avoidance? Do you let them get bit first? No, if the dog shows interest in the snake you juice them. That teaches the dog to avoid snakes, ie training. There are different uses for the e-collar anx re-enforcement is a part of training so we can use different terms but it's still a training tool.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 am

Are some of you confusting " Bill West" with this Bob West? I would always recommend the Bill West method as his system is used by some of the best bird dog trainers in the country.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:03 am

Thats what i thought, googled him and there is a Bob West.

Bill West is tops!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:56 pm

I have not seen his videos but I do know that Bob West has been training bird dogs for over 40yrs. I am not familiar with his method either but I have seen him work a couple of his dogs and it was impressive, FWIW. This guy knows dogs!

Charlie

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:56 am

He is backed pretty heavily by Purina . I saw a quick video they made and he was working with a couple of GSP's. Nice dogs.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:58 am

dead mike wrote:I dont know who Bob West is but im wondering if anyone here knows where i can buy the Bill West training video? At one time you could buy it on Uplandbirddogs.com.
I've got A couple. The Pointing Dogs Puppy Training and asn Intermediate. One of them featuring Bob West is from I think the 70's. He is one of the contributing writers for GunDog Mag and has been for years one of their key contributing trainers. He writes many of the training pieces for the magazine. Back in the beginning of the magazine he and the co-founder and managing editor were partners and good friends. I have an old training video that features him and the editor of Gun Dog magazine and I think it was made before the magazine had even been first published. Anyway, his videos, especially the newer ones are pretty well made and he is a really good trainer. Methods aren't much different than anybody elses though. Good one for the intro to birds, forced fetch, and then one on finishing a dog. The only issue I had with all of his videos is they are pretty short. They weren't cheap and they were only 20-30 minutes long.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:02 am

Bob is a VP at Purina, a director of the Bird Dog Foundation, very active in supporting field trials, knows dogs (training, conditioning, breeding, running/hunting, etc), and all around goog guy.

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 am

Bob West used to run NSTRA about the same time as Harold Adams, from Doc's kennels, in Adel Iowa. That is going back into the 1980's.