Who field trials here?

Saddle

Who field trials here?

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Just want to get an idea of the trialers here and what venue do you compete in?

SubMariner

Re: Who field trials here?

Post by SubMariner » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Saddle wrote:Just want to get an idea of the trialers here and what venue do you compete in?
We live in Central Florida & FT (walking as neither of us ride) all over the state & sometimes in GA. We also do Hunt Tests & Obedience.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Saddle wrote: by Saddle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm
It would appear that you are trying to garner specific information for subject matter credibility? If so wouldn't it be appropriate for you to provide that specific information about yourself first? i should think that information such as length of time in the sport, major successes, etc.. might be germane prior to the participation of others?

Joe

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Sure. We trial as much as we can. My fiancée runs a nice pointer bitch in some walking shooting dog stuff. I have a nice horseback shooting dog derby. I was hoping he would be an All Age dog but I don't think so. I went to my first trial when I was 17 years old that was 18 years ago. I have run all kinds of different dogs in all kinds of different venues but I started with Britts. I'm just now searching for an all age type dog. I think I have one but time will tell. Ive won some walking trials some horseback trials and have justed started to run some NSTRA type fun trials on the side. I train gundogs professionally in my spare time as well. I would classify myself as an all age wanna be who can't seem to find the right dog. It seems I find a dog and I think he's going to work and then he doesn't. He either runs too much and doesn't point any birds or he hunts too much finds too many birds and doesn't run enough or something else pops up. It's a hard dog find I'm finding that out.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
Saddle wrote: by Saddle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm
It would appear that you are trying to garner specific information for subject matter credibility? If so wouldn't it be appropriate for you to provide that specific information about yourself first? i should think that information such as length of time in the sport, major successes, etc.. might be germane prior to the participation of others?

Joe
I'm not trying to garner any information Joe for any specific reason i was trying to find out who trials on the site and who doesn't.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 pm

SubMariner wrote:
Saddle wrote:Just want to get an idea of the trialers here and what venue do you compete in?
We live in Central Florida & FT (walking as neither of us ride) all over the state & sometimes in GA. We also do Hunt Tests & Obedience.
Cool. Never been to a hunt test.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:47 pm

Saddle wrote:I'm not trying to garner any information Joe for any specific reason i was trying to find out who trials on the site and who doesn't
Okey Dokey,

I always assume there is an agenda or objective beyond what I see...it is the irrepressible, unlikable cynic in me.

I run horseback field trials, most of the western Brittany circuit and the National Championship, I supplement that sparingly with an AF spanking occasionally from the local long tail bullies. I hope to find time for more of that in the future. I also intend to run a few local NSTRA events with a retired AKC gun dog / brood bitch of mine...I am not a professional anything...

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:09 pm

My britts came from Dave and Fay out your way. I couldn't win AF events with them no matter how good they were. I bought a Miller bred pointer in 97 and he wasn't near the dog my britts were but he won a lot. Go figure.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:11 pm

I ran my pup in two akc trials last fall, my first ever. I hope to run in as many as I can afford to this year. I also hunt test also.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Ontario Canada
Ontario Bird Dog / Conservation Association
American Field Region 13
http://region13fieldtrials.blogspot.ca/

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 pm

I started in 1963 as an A-A scout, handling some. In 1972 I switched to Brittanys (most have the good sense to go the other way).
I have had modest success trialing my hunting dogs.

I am a serious student of the sport, and until health forced me off horses, I judged, handled, scouted, and reported as many trials as I could with a full time job and limited funds. I have written for most of the dog mags. I know most of the major pointer guys and their dogs pretty well, many are close friends.

Such is my interest that in 1998 I moved within a few miles of the Ames Plantation, though hunting remained my primary interest.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 pm

My husband and I horseback field trial our Brittanys in the Northeast, mostly AKC but we do attend the occasional AF trial also.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

American Field Walking n HB SDs...

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm sure trying. Very new to the sport and only have my one little female setter. I've ran her in both AKC and AF in the northwest. Am reading everything I can and learning as I go. I definitely have a great appreciation for those who know what the heck they're doing, seems to be a steep learning curve!

Cascade_fisher

Who field trials here?

Post by Cascade_fisher » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm

We have done some Walking FTs and our dogs all do Hunt Test. The wife is horse shopping right now so that she can run our 3 year old bitch/ 1 leg away from MH in FTs later this year as she wants to try to put a FC title on her.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Haven't run a dog in about 5 years now. Still judged a few trials and hunt tests recently. I enjoyed some success with hunting dogs in Horseback Shooting Dog.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Started in AF walking stakes some years back, when the hunting got really bad locally, then got into horseback, mostly AF shooting dog stuff. I train and handle my own dogs. That is the real fun of it, for me.

I do most of my trialing locally, within a three or four state region for economics reasons. Since moving to Delaware, I cross registered my pointers to the AKC because there are more AKC trials nearby than AF ones. The dogs don't care who sanctions the trials and neither do I really.

Will occasionally still walk a stake, now and again, but do mostly horseback all age in AKC and shooting dog in AF. I will also turn a dog loose in an all age stake now and again.

RayG

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:07 pm

I prefer AF trials with my favorite being coverdog trials, but will also do 3-4 walking field trials a year. I have participated in a couple tournament hunts, and dabbled with NSTRA.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 pm

I field trial both AKC and AF at a Regional / Club level. I enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie. I have had some limited success since I started in 2003 with around 60 placements. I was 1 point shy of an AFC with a girl I had. Had a RU AA at the 2010 ABC Western AA Futurity. Fun sport but can get expensive.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm

I'm *trying* to get into trialing. Last season was the first season I would say I actually "trialed" instead of just "went to a trial." I only hit four, though. This fall I didn't go to a single trial because I was trying to break Moxy out, plus I was working full-time and carrying 18 hours of coursework. So, now that's over and I've been working on Moxy to and we'll hit at least one or two trials before the season ends, plus a couple of tests. Spend this weekend doing maintenance and head up to the sandhills for some summer training before getting after it this up coming fall.

I ran NSTRA about ten years ago and have been to a handful of of trials I haven't competed in, then have been to a handful of AF trials and just one AKC trial. I plan on running Moxy in AKC trials and tests first, then second in the hierarchy is NSTRA. Not going to push it, but I being a no-name and not have any dogs that have any kind of reputation, I realize it's necessary to earn titles to validate breeding efforts and develop demand for future puppies.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:50 pm

This is cool. There are a lot of different backgrounds from all over the country it looks like. We're currently trying to get our derby ready for the Midwestern States Shooting Dog Futurity. We're headed to an NBHA CH next week. Someone said it gets expensive. They're right.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Just started in Navhda a few years ago and got mixed up in coverdog trials soon after. Try to help out our club, walk a lot of braces, run what I have and learn. Also attend a few other trials in region 1 as finances allow.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Winchey wrote:Just started in Navhda a few years ago and got mixed up in coverdog trials soon after. Try to help out our club, walk a lot of braces, run what I have and learn. Also attend a few other trials in region 1 as finances allow.
We certainly could use more folks with your attitude.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:06 am

We do

and hunt 'em hard too.

And best thing is there's only one org., AKC, that sanctions retriever trials - two if you count the Canadian Kennel Club - and all roads (and all breeds) lead to those trials, so there's no argument over what trial or which kind of dog is best.

MG

x Bred Pointer

Post by x Bred Pointer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:42 am

I run pointers in coverdog trials in N.B. and New England as well as some walking trials in Region 1. I took up the sport late at age 50 after 30 years of just hunting my dogs. Have won a few trials but no champions yet. It's a lot of fun and I get to hang out with Winchey. :)

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:54 am

Did AKC and AF with my pointer female. Now will just focus on AKC for the time being with my new Shorthair. My 12 year old will be running her in walking puppy and maybe derby if she seems to handle it ok.

Joe

dezasterous gundogs

Post by dezasterous gundogs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 am

I run shorthairs akc and ngspa, I only ride my dogs go. I started with a hunting dog that ended being a nice shooting dog. Got the addiction after my derby win and now some how my dad and I have 3 horses and a quad and a old trailer and 8 short hairs etc..... what a fun ride so far.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 am

AKC horseback trials since 1980. Done Hunt Tests, but don't anymore, just don't enjoy the venue. Done NAVHDA, hope to do more down the road.

Enjoy most dog events, and most dog people.
Fuzz

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:17 am

Have FT'ed for amlost 20 years. The first FT dog ended up being DC/AFC/MH, won the 1999 Open GD Retrieve at our GSCA NFT. The second dog was DC/AFC. Been fortunate to have had some success with the dual type dog, but the current pooch is strictly field bred. Have had 4 FC's in our kennel.

So long story short....have run HT's in the past, and currently my model follows Joe's...mainly AKC stuff in the midwest, although make trips to either coast (west coast preferred), our breed NFT...and have been running in regional AF SD stakes and have ran in region AFC Championships.

Have judged over a 100 stakes in AKC, some AKC breed Ch's and have judged some AF Championships as well.

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:38 am

I run my GSP's in both AKC and NGSPA field trials. Been trialing and Judging for over 30 years.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 am

Im trying.... I have a horseback/walking AKC deby. Gona try to dabble in some walking AF stuff too.

Jim

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:03 am

Recently just AKC walking open GD,
Had done some NSTRA for a few years but have to travel a lot to do that.
Do NAVHDA and AKC MH.

Tried a couple times to get NSTRA to come up here but to many Fickle people to make it work. :roll:

I hope to be getting back into each more, but my ankle has and may still even worse my mess that up. But I miss it all. So I will try and give it another shot this fall.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

Have been trialing since 1973,where did the time go? We started with GSP's and won the AKC and AF National Amateur in the 80's and 90's.Switched to GWP's after my last shorthair died!....vern

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 pm

I started out hunt testing in 1989. One of my hunt test dogs was pretty good, so I started field trialing her. FC/AFC Candy's Lucky Penny SH(avitar) had 37 adult placements, qualified for britt national gun championship (5X), was Nebraska Britt Dog of the year (2X) & RU (2X). I ran 1 of her pups, Speed Bump in juvie stakes and got 12 placements on him. I lost my job overseas about then and field trialing got too expensive :roll: , so I'm back to hunt testing again. I liked both venues :D---maybe the hunt testing a little more. I used to judge juvie stakes, gun dog stakes, and hunt tests in AKC(it's been awhile since I judged). About all I do at field trials now is get dogs on the line(GD course), serve on the comm, take care of the judges(drinks, food, paper work, etc), occasional bird planting, and occasional dog wagon on the all age side. On the hunt tests, other than running dogs, I either Sec or Chairman the events.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm

bigoak wrote:Have been trialing since 1973,where did the time go? We started with GSP's and won the AKC and AF National Amateur in the 80's and 90's.Switched to GWP's after my last shorthair died!....vern
Wow. That is some accomplishment. :!:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 pm

I run one dog my ex wife picked up from a pet store. learning how to handle properly, hang out with dezasterous gun dogs. Looking forward to this pup getting older that mat co ownes with me so I can ruin him in puppy and derby stakes!

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Started bird hunting as an adult when invited to hunt pheasant in SD in 2006. Got my first bird dog in May of 2009 from a family member who had a backyard litter of brittany's. Attended my first NSTRA trial in February of 2010 and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Somehow between then and now I've managed to put 11 points on her. I'm also now a NSTRA judge, volunteer, and soon to be trial chairman. Just got my second brittany from deseeker in October and am thinking of trying the AKC FTs with him.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Run in my first trial in 1965 I think. Wasn't impressed with the type of Brits that were running at that time and got more involved in breeding hunting dogs and then showing. Didn't have the money or time with 4 boys and 1 girl at home to continue in the trial games other than some fun trials till the kids were grown. Did try to stay involved and helped our club whenever possible. In more recent years have done some hunt tests, fun trials, and run one of our pups but spent more time training and helping kids get involved in hunting. Two hip replacements and old legs make it hard to do too much walking or getting on a horse but I do what I can while staying involved.

Ezzy

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 pm

If everything goes well I'll be entering my first field trial in March. Horseback AF trial in northern UT and a friend will be handling my little derby bitch. Can't wait, and hope to do more with her as a broke dog and my male pups when they are derby age.

Steve

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:37 pm

I ran my first field trial last year....Instantly hooked. Training like crazy right now to get ready for running in broke dog stakes coming up soon this spring.....I am Running AKC HB trials. I am running a brittany right now. I plan on adding another FT/hunting dog in the next year or so. Probably either a shorthair or pointer...

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 am

I've hunted with shorthairs for almost 40 years, by and large for chukars majority of the time - wandered around chukar country nearly all my life with a dog and can't get enough of just being out there. Started doing trials about 15 years ago and not knowing any better just did it with my hunting dogs and still do as something to entertain myself and the dogs during the off season - I think I enjoy the training (which the way we do it is essentially hunting with a blank gun) and preparation more than I do the trialing. Mostly I participate at wild bird championship venues as they seem to most approximate what I do with my dogs - just makes most sense to me to test 'em there. My wife enjoys the trial stuff more than I do being a competitive sort and has gotten herself a pointer that seems to be doing a nice job, lookin' like a nice shooting dog prospect, so now we will at least look the part when we show up to a trial and not just look like some wayward chukar hunters!! :lol: :lol:

My wife's youngster, IB Sweet Jane, pointing a covey of huns last week a couple ridges yonder:

I find trials can get a little slow, I can only take riding in the same circles for so long, helps to have an All Age pug on the string to entertain myself with during the downtime:

Good luck to all - it's a simple game, "point/flush/shoot/move on", don't make it harder than it is!! :wink: :wink:

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:00 am

DGFavor wrote: I find trials can get a little slow, I can only take riding in the same circles for so long, helps to have an All Age pug on the string to entertain myself with during the downtime:
It a good thing you got the AA Pug by the collar....he's got the far far away look in his eyes. I'll bet you really wear the horse flesh out running that one. :mrgreen:

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 pm

I've run my hunting dogs in a 5 or 6 AKC Trials (Pointing dog), one AKC Retreiver Trial. A few AKC Retreiver tests and several AKC Pointer hunt tests, 2 or 3 NSTRA events, and One NAVDHA NA test. I don't have the time or $ to be in "The money" it's mostly just to donate my $ to the clubs. I'm generous like that. :)