Not a good day

ohmymy111

Not a good day

Post by ohmymy111 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:58 pm

I got up at 3am like I usually do to get ready for work, not a thing I like to do, but it pays the bills. I let all the dogs, 10, outside to do their morning business. Got food ready and called them over to be put up. One dog didn't come. I thought what the heck, did Hugo get out of the fence? Called him for a minute and still no Hugo. Went out and checked the fenced area in front of the house, and there is Hugo sitting, completely oblivious to me. I thought what the heck is this, picked him up and he yelped, so I brought him in the house to see if he was injured, nothing. Gave him some food, which he ate with passion, just like always, and boom down he goes and has a seizure. I thought OMG, what is going on, he got back up ran around the house confused and running into things. Called the Vet, but no emergency service until later in the morning, So I crated him up when he seemed better and went into work. I took an early meal break and came home to check on him, and he is just sitting there zoned out, covered in do-do. I called the Emergency Vet and talked to them for a while, they said he is probably still zonked out from the seizure, and I could wait and see how things went.

I waited for another few hours and was in and out of the house tending to other dogs. He was still really out of it, so I called back to the emergency Vet, and said I am bringing him in. They are 55 miles from my house in Jamestown ND, crated Hugo up and away we went. On the hour trip down he had 4 more seizures!

Heart rate was good and strong along with repiration. Temp was 102.2 Blood work shows nothing. A couple of things are slightly elevated, but nothing that would be of concern. No signs in the blood work of kidney or liver issues. After an injection of diazapine, and then before he left of Phenyl Barbitol, he is just zonked out resting.

Hugo is 5 days shy of 10 months old, so while can't absolutely rule our epilepsy, or a brain tumor, seems unlikely, especially given the sudden onset.

He is on a course of antibiotics, just to rule out an infection as his white count was slightly elevated, and I have a months supply of 32.4 phenyl barbitol tablets. Once we are sure he isn't having any more seizures we will take him off them and see if there is a reoccurence.

fourtrax

Re: Not a good day

Post by fourtrax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Hope Hugo comes around. The "NO obvious causes" is what's most disturbing bout that.

Good Luck & Hang in there.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Horrible... I hope he bounces back. Best to your pup. Keep us posted

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:31 pm

I hope Hugo gets better soon.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:46 pm

We just lost our dog to an unknown cause, vet said whatever "it" was, it was quick,
Horrible, tell Hugo to get better and scratch behind his ear for me!
Isaac and Banks

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Hope for a full and speedy recovery, and also maybe they can find a cause.

Corry

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Hugo had a seizure again last night at 7:30, before I could give him his pill. The Vet said that could happen. He didn't want to eat so I put the pill down the back of his throat. I am pretty sure he was seizure free the rest of the night. This morning he was much better. I fed him a bit, got him to take his pill, and then took him out to do his business. He was straining quite a bit trying to defecate, but I am sure he was dehydrated some, but he got it done. But right after he was done he had another seizure. I got him inside and warmed up, and he perked up quite a bit quicker. I gave him a warm bath to get him clean from yesterday. His coat was matted pretty bad after all the seizures. Got him dried up best I could, got the spare bedroom up to 80 degrees to keep him warm. 15 minutes later he was agitated, but it was because he was demanding food. Got him fed, and left him to rest a bit.

He has since been outside 3 times now, relieving himself just fine and no seizures for 7 hours now. He is unsteady on his feet, and probably will be for a week, according to the Vet. He is a little stir crazy, but I told him no serious exercize for a while, and if he had no more seizures in a week I would take him for a run. He was upset and said that wasn't acceptable, but when he realized that was my best and final offer he relented and said OK.

Just have to see what time will bring now.

Rdfhunter

Post by Rdfhunter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 pm

You're certainly doing all you can. Keep up the fight

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Terrible news to read! Please keep us updated!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Mark: Real sorry for what Hugo and you are going through. The uncertainy is the worst and what to expect down the road.
I am wishing a full and speady recovery.

Do you think he might have run into something when he was out in the yard that morning?

Good luck.
Rick

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 pm

That's terrible news. I hope Hugo can pull through. It sounds like he is making progress.

On the bright side, you and Hugo will probably have a lot closer relationship and understanding.

Keep us posted!

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:10 am

Hope Hugo is feeling better. It's stressful when a dog is sick.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:09 pm

The medication is doing its job. Hugo has not had a seizure in over 48 hours now, and is bouncing right back. I really think he had to have gotten into something. To go from no seizures, to 8 that I witnessed, and he probably had a bunch more I din't know about, overnight just doesn't seem likely to be epilepsy or a brain tumor. Time will tell when we take him off the medication in a month.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Excellent news. Keep us posted.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Wow. I hope that you get full recovery on your dog. Never a good thing having that trouble and especially with a young dog.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 am

Have any poisons around (mouse) any household chemicals he could have gotten into?

Mojo from NE Ohio...Thanks for the timely updates....