Horrible Beahvior Away from Home

plmfinn

Horrible Beahvior Away from Home

Post by plmfinn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:24 am

Our 10 month old Brittany is away from us for the first time. He's staying at a new place, which he has done before, but my husband and I aren't there with him. Well, I guess he has also spent a week at an amazing hunting camp. This is the first time he's stayed in someone's home without us. We got a picture last night of the destruction he caused while left alone in his crate all day. Being left in his crate during the work day is nothing new to him.

The only times he's gone crazy in his crate at our house is when he was sick with the runs and attempted to escape so he didn't have to dirty his crate. Sometime during the work day yesterday, he completely destroyed the carpeting in my sister in law's basement. His crate was placed near their laundry room door, where their golden retriever stays during the day. There was no wet carpet, so I assume he did not have to go the bathroom.

Is there some sort of separation anxiety going on? Is that a realthing in dogs? Or is it just bad behavior?

Buckeye_V

Re: Horrible Beahvior Away from Home

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:03 am

In a properly sized crate with onlt the basics in it, how could he destroy anything? Just curious.

That dog needs exercise, IMO.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:07 am

Buckeye_V wrote: That dog needs exercise, IMO.
A tired dog is a good dog :)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 am

Wire crate?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 pm

I think we underplay a dog's attachment to its owner/family. It's a big deal for them to be separated, even when emotionally healthy.

Last edited by Sharon on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 pm

I never disregarded that statement. I just wonder why people will put all kinds of stuff in a dog crate once they demonstrate they cannot handle that. Big enough for stand up, turn around and lay down and no more. Water bucket with a small amount of water. Thats it. If the crate is warm and dry, no need for anything else until they demonstrate they can handle it.

Lots of exercise. If that dog wants to dig itself to China in a wire crate, then so be it and good luck to you. What can you possibly do from afar that would make it better? Send it a text?